Pedernales River

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
60389_Pedernales River.JPG

Pedernales River Chili

This chili was the favorite of Lyndon Baines Johnson, 36th President of the United States.

4 Pounds chili-grind beef chuck OR venison
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican oregano)
2 tablespoons chili powder (or more, to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt to taste
5 or 6 dashes Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
2 cups hot water
1-1/2 cups canned whole tomatoes, undrained
Put the meat, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven, and cook over medium heat until the meat is lightly browned.
Add the oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and Tabasco. Pour in the water and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 1 hour. Skim fat during the cooking, if desired.

Pale Rider said:
Pedernales River Chili

This chili was the favorite of Lyndon Baines Johnson, 36th President of the United States.

4 Pounds chili-grind beef chuck OR venison
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican oregano)
2 tablespoons chili powder (or more, to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt to taste
5 or 6 dashes Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
2 cups hot water
1-1/2 cups canned whole tomatoes, undrained
Put the meat, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven, and cook over medium heat until the meat is lightly browned.
Add the oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and Tabasco. Pour in the water and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 1 hour. Skim fat during the cooking, if desired.

BTW--I recommend a trip to LBJs ranch on the Pedernales----a great spring trip!!

dilloduck said:
BTW--I recommend a trip to LBJs ranch on the Pedernales----a great spring trip!!

It's a beautiful river dillo. When I'm retired and touring America in my huge RV, I'll keep that in mind. :cof:

Did you take that picture?

Pale Rider said:
It's a beautiful river dillo. When I'm retired and touring America in my huge RV, I'll keep that in mind. :cof:

Did you take that picture?

yup been playing with my new digcam and love it---didn't even need to edit this shot!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
dilloduck said:
yup been playing with my new digcam and love it---didn't even need to edit this shot!

Yeah I love mine. I think they're the greatest invention since, well, sliced bread!

What kind is your cam?

Forum List

Back