Peanut butter, latest price to skyrocket. What is in your grocery bag?

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
The cost of living keeps rising and a peanut butter and peanut products are just the latest. At least the lower cost of gas helps to alleviate some of the pain but gas is still 75 cents higher than this time last year and still an anchor on the economy. People have to buy gas and food and as long as these prices continue to soar ...

With Christmas less than 2 months away I wonder what sales will look like.

Kraft will raise prices for its Planters brand peanut butter by 40 percent starting Monday, while ConAgra has instituted increases of more than 20 percent for its Peter Pan brand that went into effect this month.

J.M. Smucker, which makes Jif, will introduce price hikes of around 30 percent starting Tuesday.

Consumers, meanwhile, are already seeing these increases reflected at grocery stores.

Maria Brous, a spokeswoman for the Publix chain, said the store had already made slight increases in retail prices and expects them to go higher “as the cost of goods continue to rise“.

Peanut butter prices skyrocketing - chicagotribune.com

Do yourself a big favor and just eliminate peanuts from your diet entirely. Our bodies don't digest peanuts very well and unless they're prepared properly, they can cause inflammation to your digestive tract. You don't have to have peanut allergies to be negatively affected by them either.

Eat cashews, walnuts, macadamia's, brazil nuts, almonds and the like but use this opportunity to just stop with the peanut consumption. Your body will love you for it!

The cost of living keeps rising and a peanut butter and peanut products are just the latest. At least the lower cost of gas helps to alleviate some of the pain but gas is still 75 cents higher than this time last year and still an anchor on the economy. People have to buy gas and food and as long as these prices continue to soar ...

Kraft will raise prices for its Planters brand peanut butter by 40 percent starting Monday, while ConAgra has instituted increases of more than 20 percent for its Peter Pan brand that went into effect this month.

J.M. Smucker, which makes Jif, will introduce price hikes of around 30 percent starting Tuesday.

Consumers, meanwhile, are already seeing these increases reflected at grocery stores.

Maria Brous, a spokeswoman for the Publix chain, said the store had already made slight increases in retail prices and expects them to go higher “as the cost of goods continue to rise“.

Peanut butter prices skyrocketing - chicagotribune.com

There have been slight increases in prices and reductions in packaging going on for a long time now. I've stopped buying certain foods because I refuse to pay what they are asking. Currently, peanut butter isn't one of them. I haven't been buying much peanut butter because my son can not take PB&J sandwiches to school because one kid has a peanut allergy.

Last weekend I bought a package of regular sized Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. My husband opened one and went to take a bite when he paused ... and held it in his hand for me to see. It was noticeably smaller in size.

It was obviously not regular sized then was it.

Most half gallons of cie cream are not half gallons either.

Paying more for less is the American Way.
How do you expect the economy to grow if we do not pay more for the stuff we already buy?

How do you expect the economy to grow if we do not pay more for the stuff we already buy?

Oh yes it was.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are the first candy I buy for Halloween. This year all I saw were bags of new 'snack size' ones. God forbid a trick-or-treater have a full size Reeses. So I went looking for original size and found them to be smaller.

Planter's peanut butter just came out (at least around here) a few months ago. I bought 6 jars of it when it was on sale and I had 6 $1 off coupons. Snagged them for $2 a jar. I'm always on the lookout for coupons and match them up with sales. It's the only way to go. Especially when they keep doing this.

Tuna is now 5 oz per can. Pretty soon they'll reduce that down to 4oz then 3oz then . . .at some point we'll just be paying for the can.

Oh yes it was.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are the first candy I buy for Halloween. This year all I saw were bags of new 'snack size' ones. God forbid a trick-or-treater have a full size Reeses. So I went looking for original size and found them to be smaller.

I quite agree with this. I've noticed that several 'full size' candy bars are not as big as they used to be. They're just a bit smaller, shorter, less filling . . . whatever.

I just dumped the kids Halloween candy out of their collection bags and into their respective bowls. Fun-sized my eye. What a joke. :rolleyes:

On my latest trip to the grocery store I noticed that the icecream I like went from 3.99 to 4.89. Halloween Candy has also increase significantly. Olive oil is increasing quickly, and while Orance juice hasn't gone up in a while I noticed they decreased the size from 64oz to 59 oz'. Not to mention - have you seen the price of a box of cereal lately??

Planter's peanut butter just came out (at least around here) a few months ago. I bought 6 jars of it when it was on sale and I had 6 $1 off coupons. Snagged them for $2 a jar. I'm always on the lookout for coupons and match them up with sales. It's the only way to go. Especially when they keep doing this.

Tuna is now 5 oz per can. Pretty soon they'll reduce that down to 4oz then 3oz then . . .at some point we'll just be paying for the can.

Enjoy your peanut butter and tuna sammiches.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I know peanut butter is always my favorite part of Christmas dinner. :lol:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I know peanut butter is always my favorite part of Christmas dinner. :lol:

What? No Mountain Oysters?

A rising population on a planet where the weather is increasingly dicey. Agriculture depends on stable weather. Droughts and floods both adversly affect crops. Even as demand rises. You will continue to see price rises at the grocery store.

THE DAILY STAR :: Business :: International :: World Bank: Global food prices remain high and volatile

According to Food Price Watch, a quarterly report, recent floods in Thailand, the worst in 50 years, may add uncertainty in the short run following estimated production losses of between 16 to 24 percent of total production. In the meantime, the food crisis in the Horn of Africa continues, affecting over 13.3 million people in the region–an additional million since August, and the outlook remains bleak.

The report said prices of grains rose 30 percent (September 2010 to September 2011), with corn increasing by 43 percent, rice by 26 percent and wheat by 16 percent. Soybean oil went up by 26 percent. Over the last quarter, however, an increase of 3 percent in the price of grains was roughly offset by a 3 percent decline in the prices of fats and oils.

“Volatility, which is higher in low income countries, is expected to persist in the medium term due to multiple global and domestic factors. Structural factors contributing to the volatility include rising populations and changing diets, increasingly intertwined relations between food and energy prices, and increasing production of biofuels,” the report said.

Read more: THE DAILY STAR :: Business :: International :: World Bank: Global food prices remain high and volatile
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: THE DAILY STAR :: Breaking News, Lebanon News, Middle East News & World News)

The good news is that wheat reserves are higher than they have been in a long time. The bad news is that it still costs more, and there are more people to eat it.

No, that for branding time. Get 'em fresh.

Hey now don't forget the Beanie Weenies.

Mountain Oyster Butter on toast isn't all its cracked up to be.

Thanksgiving dinner will certainly cost more this year.

Meat and poultry prices were up 7.5 percent in September from the same month in 2010, Purdue University economist Christopher Hurt said Monday. Overall, shoppers experienced a 5 percent increase in food prices in September.

"Let's go to the grocery store first," he said. "Prices were up in September at 6.3 percent. That's the highest since 2008 for at-home food.

"For away-from-home food, at restaurants for example, it was up 2.6 percent in September. If we look at all food, it is a 4.7 percent increase. Basically, that's 5 percent."

Cooking oils and salad oils are up 11.3 percent, bakery and cereals up 5.6 percent, dairy products up 10.2 percent higher, and fruit and vegetables up 6.7 percent compared with last Thanksgiving, Hunt said.

Those sizes of increase are putting a squeeze on the average consumer, Hurt noted.

"We're not seeing our incomes going up as high as inflation," Hurt said. "The average American will go backwards if incomes don't go up.

Food price increase greets holiday chefs | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

Do yourself a big favor and just eliminate peanuts from your diet entirely. Our bodies don't digest peanuts very well and unless they're prepared properly, they can cause inflammation to your digestive tract. You don't have to have peanut allergies to be negatively affected by them either.

Eat cashews, walnuts, macadamia's, brazil nuts, almonds and the like but use this opportunity to just stop with the peanut consumption. Your body will love you for it!

Hogwash! I go thru a large jar of peanut butter per week. I've never had a problem from it......and it gives me a shiny coat.

New Topics

Forum List

Back