Peanut butter, latest price to skyrocket. What is in your grocery bag?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by zzzz, Nov 1, 2011.

1. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    The cost of living keeps rising and a peanut butter and peanut products are just the latest. At least the lower cost of gas helps to alleviate some of the pain but gas is still 75 cents higher than this time last year and still an anchor on the economy. People have to buy gas and food and as long as these prices continue to soar ...

With Christmas less than 2 months away I wonder what sales will look like.

Peanut butter prices skyrocketing - chicagotribune.com

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    Thank goodness we're not making ethanol from peanuts.

3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    Do yourself a big favor and just eliminate peanuts from your diet entirely. Our bodies don't digest peanuts very well and unless they're prepared properly, they can cause inflammation to your digestive tract. You don't have to have peanut allergies to be negatively affected by them either.

Eat cashews, walnuts, macadamia's, brazil nuts, almonds and the like but use this opportunity to just stop with the peanut consumption. Your body will love you for it!

4. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

There have been slight increases in prices and reductions in packaging going on for a long time now. I've stopped buying certain foods because I refuse to pay what they are asking. Currently, peanut butter isn't one of them. I haven't been buying much peanut butter because my son can not take PB&J sandwiches to school because one kid has a peanut allergy.

Last weekend I bought a package of regular sized Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. My husband opened one and went to take a bite when he paused ... and held it in his hand for me to see. It was noticeably smaller in size.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    It was obviously not regular sized then was it.

Most half gallons of cie cream are not half gallons either.

Paying more for less is the American Way.
    How do you expect the economy to grow if we do not pay more for the stuff we already buy?

6. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Oh yes it was.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are the first candy I buy for Halloween. This year all I saw were bags of new 'snack size' ones. God forbid a trick-or-treater have a full size Reeses. So I went looking for original size and found them to be smaller.

7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    Planter's peanut butter just came out (at least around here) a few months ago. I bought 6 jars of it when it was on sale and I had 6 $1 off coupons. Snagged them for $2 a jar. I'm always on the lookout for coupons and match them up with sales. It's the only way to go. Especially when they keep doing this.

Tuna is now 5 oz per can. Pretty soon they'll reduce that down to 4oz then 3oz then . . .at some point we'll just be paying for the can.

8. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    I quite agree with this. I've noticed that several 'full size' candy bars are not as big as they used to be. They're just a bit smaller, shorter, less filling . . . whatever.

I just dumped the kids Halloween candy out of their collection bags and into their respective bowls. Fun-sized my eye. What a joke. :rolleyes:

9. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,072
    I love peanut butter...if I was stranded on an island, I would happily survive on it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. likeabird03

likeabird03 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    On my latest trip to the grocery store I noticed that the icecream I like went from 3.99 to 4.89. Halloween Candy has also increase significantly. Olive oil is increasing quickly, and while Orance juice hasn't gone up in a while I noticed they decreased the size from 64oz to 59 oz'. Not to mention - have you seen the price of a box of cereal lately??

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1