Peak Geothermal

Discussion in 'Energy' started by mdn2000, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Thats right, another "peak" thread by the self-proclaimed expert, the Electrical Power Research Institute Analyst.

All the good spots for Geothermal have been exploited, we have reached the peak of Geothermal, I will post some links that provide the fact. To begin the thread this is a nice story.

Geothermal plants find natural steam source running out

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    The article also mentions returning treated wastewater underground in order to "replenish" the steam source. Plus there are many untapped reservoirs spread across several states.

3. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    All the good spots for oil and coal extraction have been exploited

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    "Good spots"?

Most drilling is done in "bad spots". The success rate for wildcats is very low.

5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    U.S. Policies Put Most U.S. Oil Off-Limits to Drilling

The report, which was produced at the request of Congress by the U.S. Department of Interior's Bureau of Land Management (BLM), said there are 279 million acres under federal management where oil and gas could potentially could be extracted.

6. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    A cursory Google search of the Geysers reveals that Calpine, the corporation that profits from the subsidized green energy policy, as well as the researchers and scientist that profit from Obama's green energy policy have bought the "Keywords" thus when I search the geothermal as green propaganda is the first results found. Billions in subsidies in which they use to market a false idea as geothermal being renewable. If Geothermal is profitable and kind to the environment why must they control the keywords thus the publics perception when a google search is performed. Anyhow, this is how the public is manipulated and anyone checking my facts must be aware of the difficulty in searching for the facts.

I hate analogies but I am starting to come around, its the only way some people are able to grasp a concept. Thus to save energy I suggest no more mass produced automobiles, each car produced from now on must be a unique custom built automobile, each with a slightly different technology, that way in 50 years we will may find a better solution. We should disregard everything we know about production and event a new type of custom production, this will take tens of billions of dollars in research money, higher taxes, subsidies, and massive amounts of energy to build the new infrastructure.

Now that was funny.

To the Geysers. it is a rare geological formation, The Geysers is unique, being such it demonstrates that all geothermal formations are unique thus require specific research and study to develop as a source of power. Each plant must be custom built to the geological formation we tap into. How many sources can I provide that present this, I have some pdf documents on my computer from EPRI, engineering and research summaries that state each geothermal source is unique and presents an unique engineering challenge.

Is there not a Geologist here on USMB that can confirm what I present as fact, just a thought. Geothermal is thus a Geologist dream come true, Scientists, Engineers, get to use their best skills, each site requires new research, new money, which is not included in the cost of developing the site. Billions in subsidies for research. Research money seems to be the actual "Renewable Resource" that Green energy refers to.

Geothermal plants find natural steam source running out

7. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    rare is not renewable or green energy

8. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,281
    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/geothermal-0126.html

Everywhere on Earth, a few miles below the surface, the bedrock is hot, and the deeper you go the hotter it gets. In some places, water heated by this hot rock comes naturally to the surface or close to it, where it can be easily tapped to drive a turbine and generate electricity.

But where naturally heated water is not available at or near the surface, this process can be recreated by drilling one very deep well to inject water into the ground, and another well nearby to pump that water back to the surface after it has been heated by passing through cracks in the hot rock. Such systems are known as Engineered Geothermal Systems, or EGS.

A 2006 report by an 18-member team led by MIT Professor Jefferson Tester (now emeritus, and working at Cornell University) found that more than 2,000 times the total annual energy use of the United States could be supplied, using existing technology, from EGS systems, and perhaps 10 times as much with improved technology.

9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,281
  10. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,281