Peace , propaganda & the promised land

Jos

Rookie
Feb 6, 2010
Do you know the frustration you feel when you believed in something strongly and then you realize that the information that made you believe was from a source with an agenda to deceive?

I just watched a powerful and courageous documentary called Peace, Propaganda, and the Promised Land. It certainly has its own agenda and doesn't present balanced coverage. Still, it showed me how my understanding of the struggles in the Middle East has been skewed by most of our mainstream media. I saw how coverage of the Israeli/Palestinian problem is brilliantly controlled and shaped. I pride myself in understanding how the media works... and I find I've been bamboozled.

Invest 75 minutes in watching this, because most of the time we only hear one viewpoint when it comes to the interminable struggle in the Holy Land. While this documentary would never be shown on commercial TV in the USA, it can be viewed online
Peace, Propaganda & the Promised Land

Rick Steves

Do you know the frustration you feel when you believed in something strongly and then you realize that the information that made you believe was from a source with an agenda to deceive?

I just watched a powerful and courageous documentary called Peace, Propaganda, and the Promised Land. It certainly has its own agenda and doesn't present balanced coverage. Still, it showed me how my understanding of the struggles in the Middle East has been skewed by most of our mainstream media. I saw how coverage of the Israeli/Palestinian problem is brilliantly controlled and shaped. I pride myself in understanding how the media works... and I find I've been bamboozled.

Invest 75 minutes in watching this, because most of the time we only hear one viewpoint when it comes to the interminable struggle in the Holy Land. While this documentary would never be shown on commercial TV in the USA, it can be viewed online
Peace, Propaganda & the Promised Land

Rick Steves
The mainstream media is nothing more than a puppet arm of the government, which is nothing more than the front men for the corporate oligarchy that controls the show.

Corporatism is the greatest threat to peace on earth. And their weapon of choice, is neo-liberalism. If mankind has any chance at survival, we need to vote out all incumbants at every election, until we get the people in there that represent us, not them.

[size="2']The mainstream media is nothing more than a puppet arm of the government, which is nothing more than the front men for the corporate oligarchy that controls the show. Corporatism is the greatest threat to peace on earth. And their weapon of choice, is neo-liberalism. If mankind has any chance at survival, we need to vote out all incumbants at every election, until we get the people in there that represent us, not them.[/size][/i][/quote][font="times new roman"]Is it another palistan crier?[/font]

[size="2']The mainstream media is nothing more than a puppet arm of the government, which is nothing more than the front men for the corporate oligarchy that controls the show. Corporatism is the greatest threat to peace on earth. And their weapon of choice, is neo-liberalism. If mankind has any chance at survival, we need to vote out all incumbants at every election, until we get the people in there that represent us, not them.[/size][/i][/quote][font="times new roman"]Is it another palistan crier?[/font]
It's better than being an Israeli kiss-ass!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpMsIGtIMM&context=C494aa3dADvjVQa1PpcFOIprUdC7tpf7pH8rVJMtz78Sh2XRTskGQ=](Part 1) Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEsD2P1PCuk&context=C43f4c2eADvjVQa1PpcFOIprUdC7tpf7a9kwZt5bK6jWARqFx5URQ=](Part 2) Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcK2DEypeE0&context=C4c95e25ADvjVQa1PpcFOIprUdC7tpf8ThppOPezvl0KZVbvJqBVo=](Part 3) Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7HGzWXftDE&context=C423e345ADvjVQa1PpcFOIprUdC7tpfzirpU9Ol0dl-VWZuNOd6NY=](Part 4) Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R32SZqiebMM&context=C46ad94dADvjVQa1PpcFOIprUdC7tpf22ROhWGArZYxYvRqLEl_Ws=](Part 5) Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RqATnmpW94&context=C41a14b2ADvjVQa1PpcFOIprUdC7tpf3-OWzNjd1QF-6zhew8WCPc=](Part 6) Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict - YouTube[/ame]

PBS: Civilization and the Jews
The interaction of Jewish history and Western civilization successively assumed different forms. In the Biblical and Ancient periods, Israel was an integral part of the Near Eastern and classical world, which gave birth to Western civilization. It shared the traditions of ancient Mesopotamia and the rest of that world with regard to it’s own beginning; it benefited from the decline of Egypt and the other great Near Eastern empires to emerge as a nation in it’s own right; it asserted it’s claim to the divinely promised Land of Israel
PBS - Heritage

Harvard University Semitic Museum: The Houses of Ancient Israel The Houses of Ancient Israel § Semitic Museum

In archaeological terms The Houses of Ancient Israel: Domestic, Royal, Divine focuses on the Iron Age (1200-586 B.C.E.). Iron I (1200-1000 B.C.E.) represents the premonarchical period. Iron II (1000-586 B.C.E.) was the time of kings. Uniting the tribal coalitions of Israel and Judah in the tenth century B.C.E., David and Solomon ruled over an expanding realm. After Solomon's death (c. 930 B.C.E.) Israel and Judah separated into two kingdoms.
Israel was led at times by strong kings, Omri and Ahab in the ninth century B.C.E. and Jereboam II in the eighth.

Harvard University Semitic Museum: Jerusalem During The Reign Of King Hezekiah--New Exhibition At The Semitic Museum Re-Creates Numerous Aspects Of Ancient Israel Harvard Gazette: Jerusalem during the reign of King Hezekiah

The Semitic Museum has installed a new exhibition that brings the world of biblical Israel into vivid, three-dimensional reality. "The Houses of Ancient Israel: Domestic, Royal, Divine" immerses the viewer in Israelite daily life around the time of King Hezekiah (8th century B.C.), creating an experiential environment based on the latest archaeological, textual, and historical research.

The centerpiece of the exhibition is a full-scale Israelite house, open on one side, filled with authentic ancient artifacts that show how life was lived by common inhabitants of ancient Jerusalem. Agricultural tools, a cooking area, and a stall occupied by a single, scruffy ram fill the ground floor of the cube-shaped, mud-brick structure, which, thankfully, is not olfactorily authentic. The upper story, reached by a ladder, is devoted to eating and sleeping.

PBS Nova ...
In the banks of the Nile in southern Egypt in 1896, British archaeologisit Flinders Petrie unearthed one of the most important discoveries in biblical archaeology known as the Merneptah Stele. Merneptah's stele announces the entrance on the world stage of a People named Israel.

The Merneptah Stele is powerful evidence that a People called the Israelites are living in Canaan over 3000 years ago

Dr. Donald Redford, Egyptologist and archaeologist: The Merneptah Stele is priceless evidence for the presence of an ethnical group called Israel in Canaan.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvg2EZAEw5c]1/13 The Bible's Buried Secrets (NOVA PBS) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQtHmedCAB0&context=C4302bc3ADvjVQa1PpcFOIprUdC7tpf-vCtcGJsc7icbwfPgF_bz4=](Part 7) Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVYFn0d6pmM&context=C4345c24ADvjVQa1PpcFOIprUdC7tpfzMmSj4KXJU_L84mAP3EElc=](Part 8) Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict - YouTube[/ame]

Eminent Middle East Historian Dr. Bernard Lewis, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University, Author, "The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2000 Years," "The Future of the Middle East," "The Shaping of the Modern Middle East," "The End of Modern History in the Middle East," Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East"
The countries forming the western arm of the Fertile Crescent were called by the names of the various kingdoms and peoples that ruled and inhabited them. Of these, the most familiar, or at least the best documented, are the southern lands, known in the earlier books of the Hebrew Bible and some other ancient writings as Canaan. After the Israelite conquest and settlement, the area inhabited by them came to be described as "land of the children of Israel" or simply "land of Israel" After the breakup of the kingdom of David and Solomon in the tenth century BCE, the southern part, with Jerusalem as its capital, was called Judah, while the north was called Israel

2,000 Year Old Jewish Dead Sea Scrolls
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYj_0foJYA]The Dead Sea Scrolls Online - YouTube[/ame]

Google Official Google Blog: From the desert to the web: bringing the Dead Sea Scrolls online
It’s taken 24 centuries, the work of archaeologists, scholars and historians, and the advent of the Internet to make the Dead Sea Scrolls accessible to anyone in the world. Today, as the new year approaches on the Hebrew calendar, we’re celebrating the launch of the Dead Sea Scrolls online; a project of The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, powered by Google technology.

Written between the third and first centuries BCE, the Dead Sea Scrolls include the oldest known biblical manuscripts in existence. In 68 BCE, they were hidden in 11 caves in the Judean desert on the shores of the Dead Sea to protect them from the approaching Roman armies. Since 1965, the scrolls have been on exhibit at the Shrine of the Book at The Israel Museum, Jerusalem. Among other topics, the scrolls offer critical insights into life and religion in ancient Jerusalem, including the birth of Christianity

Now, anyone around the world can view, read and interact with five digitized Dead Sea Scrolls. The high resolution photographs are up to 1,200 megapixels, almost 200 times more than the average consumer camera, so viewers can see even the most minute details in the parchment. For example, zoom in on the Temple Scroll to get a feel for the animal skin it's written on—only one-tenth of a millimeter thick.

Forum List

Back