PE, a joke?

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
So, I am in my last year of school (12th Grade), and I am ready to get out of here and go to my Basic, but I have always wondered, is every school's PE a joke? Mine is and was. I mean, the hardest thing you will ever do in it is run a mile, or in high school, the locker rooms (considering how you fare with other males in a hostile environment). I thought the locker rooms where rather hilarious cause it was where the bigger kids always tried to pick on smaller ones. I have always been smaller in height, but size wise I could hold my own against anyone in Weight Lifting easily.

I wish I had been raised with a 'rougher' type of PE. I mean, a mile is ok too me, for maybe grade school, but I think high school should be more challenging. Maybe a 2 mile run, with push-ups/sit-ups/flutter-kicks/pull-ups? Granted, this isn't the military, BUT, imagine how much better people would feel if their PE was a challenge? It'd make PE so much more fun to a lot of people I know. I mean, most of the kids in my school can't do 1 chin up, least to say pull ups.

I know this may sound brutal, but really, what is asking that everyone be able to do 20 push-ups? That's really not a lot, especially if you do them in every gym class let's say 3-4 sets of 10 every gym class, and then every 6 weeks a test on the 20? Not a lot when your doing 30-40 every class in sets.

Does this sound like a bad idea? I am one of those whom couldn't do a mile for a long time, why? I didn't believe I could. I still have issues running, but I know for a fact I can do 1 when I had a recruiter push me to well over 3 1/2 miles in a run with a lot of Calisthenics. If I can do that, what's to say others can't do 2?

So, I am in my last year of school (12th Grade), and I am ready to get out of here and go to my Basic, but I have always wondered, is every school's PE a joke? Mine is and was. I mean, the hardest thing you will ever do in it is run a mile, or in high school, the locker rooms (considering how you fare with other males in a hostile environment). I thought the locker rooms where rather hilarious cause it was where the bigger kids always tried to pick on smaller ones. I have always been smaller in height, but size wise I could hold my own against anyone in Weight Lifting easily.

I wish I had been raised with a 'rougher' type of PE. I mean, a mile is ok too me, for maybe grade school, but I think high school should be more challenging. Maybe a 2 mile run, with push-ups/sit-ups/flutter-kicks/pull-ups? Granted, this isn't the military, BUT, imagine how much better people would feel if their PE was a challenge? It'd make PE so much more fun to a lot of people I know. I mean, most of the kids in my school can't do 1 chin up, least to say pull ups.

I know this may sound brutal, but really, what is asking that everyone be able to do 20 push-ups? That's really not a lot, especially if you do them in every gym class let's say 3-4 sets of 10 every gym class, and then every 6 weeks a test on the 20? Not a lot when your doing 30-40 every class in sets.

Does this sound like a bad idea? I am one of those whom couldn't do a mile for a long time, why? I didn't believe I could. I still have issues running, but I know for a fact I can do 1 when I had a recruiter push me to well over 3 1/2 miles in a run with a lot of Calisthenics. If I can do that, what's to say others can't do 2?

Not sure kid but dont take any advice from Old Rocks. He hates anything even related to the Military........thinks the Air Force should be disbanded because it hurts the feelings of others. Too........ he'd want you to save your energy for building your own personal ark......for protection from the coming giant floods.

They still run the mile in gym these days? I thought by now, the k00ky liberals would have had that thrown out of the school gym classes too.........like floor hockey...........dodgeball...........etc

I say go for it kid...........

Not sure kid but dont take any advice from Old Rocks. He hates anything even related to the Military........thinks the Air Force should be disbanded because it hurts the feelings of others. Too........ he'd want you to save your energy for building your own personal ark......for protection from the coming giant floods.

They still run the mile in gym these days? I thought by now, the k00ky liberals would have had that thrown out of the school gym classes too.........like floor hockey...........dodgeball...........etc

I say go for it kid...........

We still play floor hockey & dodgeball? Or at least, we did when I was younger. Now I don't even take PE cause I have all of the PE credits I need to graduate. I remember when we played dodgeball and they where made of rubber and I remember, you could feel it when you where hit lol. Now they use them cloth balls that are nearly impossible (for me at least) to hit anything with.

P.E. has always been a little bit watered down. The school districts have to deal with bleeding heart liberal parents.

IMHO, we should privatize physical education. We need to get rid of the bloated corpse that is physical education.

Oh. I'm sorry. I thought I was in Education Forum...yet...I see it's all about politics....again.:eusa_whistle:

Well, I don't care about politics, I care about the fitness of the average American. I mean, most people can't do 10 push-ups, that is terrifying. I mean, even when I was out of shape extreme I could do 10 push-ups, just because its a body weight exercise. I believe people should adopt better workout regimes when their younger and I think they'll keep them as they grow older.

Well, I don't care about politics, I care about the fitness of the average American. I mean, most people can't do 10 push-ups, that is terrifying. I mean, even when I was out of shape extreme I could do 10 push-ups, just because its a body weight exercise. I believe people should adopt better workout regimes when their younger and I think they'll keep them as they grow older.

I agree. However, as one grows older...the body betrays. Or rather, some bodies. I can do 10 pushups but I'd die of pain in my wrists. It's not due to anything other than my own body attacking itself. I should fire it. :tongue:

yes, privatize and unionize PE

I am not abdicating anything political, I am simply suggesting we have REAL standards for children in fitness.

I understand games are fun, and I support a game every time their is PE, but the game needs to be beneficial also, and their needs to be real physical effort.

I love the idea of obstacle courses, their beneficial, fun, and killer workouts, if designed correctly.

Actually it is absurd and unfortunate but it may take decades to figure out the degree to which education is a joke.

The system is not intended to produce lots of competent self reliant people.

Actually I think martial arts training should be mandatory for boys and optional for girls. Maybe weapons training too. Drop English Literature. Mandatory accounting.

But we can't have citizens ready to kill politicians when they screw up the economy.

:evil: :lol: :evil:

psik

Actually it is absurd and unfortunate but it may take decades to figure out the degree to which education is a joke.

Actually I think martial arts training should be mandatory for boys and optional for girls. Maybe weapons training too. Drop English Literature. Mandatory accounting.

But we can't have citizens ready to kill politicians when they screw up the economy.

psik

Eh, I hope to pursue 2-3 martial arts to their ends but I wouldn't want that to be mandatory. I mean, Boxing would sound good, but I guess I am biased in that area lol, sorry.

I guess whether or not it's a joke depends on what you think the purpose of PE is. You're heading to basic, you say, and wish your PE class had helped you train for that, I suppose. That's fine, but most of your classmates are NOT joining the military, and really have no interest in behaving as though they are.

If, instead, you view PE as a place for people who might not otherwise ever learn anything about maintaining a healthy body to encounter those ideas and organized games and sports and maybe learn to like them, then no, most PE classes aren't a joke.

I tend to prefer schools that give the kids a bit of a choice in PE. I myself never took it after junior high because I was in the marching band, which my schools accepted in lieu of the PE requirement, so I'm not sure what they offered. My husband's high school, however, offered the regular gym classes, plus more specialized classes such as weight lifting, aerobics, etc. My son's school, which is a charter school rather than a regular public school, doesn't have a PE requirement, but offers classes in various types of dance, yoga, etc.

psik

Why would you drop English literature?

I guess whether or not it's a joke depends on what you think the purpose of PE is. You're heading to basic, you say, and wish your PE class had helped you train for that, I suppose. That's fine, but most of your classmates are NOT joining the military, and really have no interest in behaving as though they are.

If, instead, you view PE as a place for people who might not otherwise ever learn anything about maintaining a healthy body to encounter those ideas and organized games and sports and maybe learn to like them, then no, most PE classes aren't a joke.

I tend to prefer schools that give the kids a bit of a choice in PE. I myself never took it after junior high because I was in the marching band, which my schools accepted in lieu of the PE requirement, so I'm not sure what they offered. My husband's high school, however, offered the regular gym classes, plus more specialized classes such as weight lifting, aerobics, etc. My son's school, which is a charter school rather than a regular public school, doesn't have a PE requirement, but offers classes in various types of dance, yoga, etc.

That is not it, I wish PE had actually educated me in physical exercise, not just games. I can't do any sport that good, except Boxing I'd say. I didn't learn Boxing in school to say the least.

PE should be exactly what it's called Physical Education. Teach about muscles, muscle systems, but above all, utilize them. I'm sorry, but not having PE is insane, but in this time and if other high schools are like mine in their PE standards, no PE probably doesn't matter. I don't mean to be rude but, PE as it is, is hilarious at best. The mile runs aren't actually "scored", they say give it your all, and then I see people walk half of it, or just walk all of it. I couldn't do my mile runs in the 9th grade, you know what I did? Push-Ups, and lots of them, all of this was done, while I was in a boot cast..Why? Cause I couldn't do the run.

Granted, that teacher wasn't exactly 'the best' because he told me to "walk it off" when I tore my ankle (you could literally see a part of my ankle coming out in my shoe, nasty stuff, but the point is, he pushed me.

I think PE is a joke as well. I graduated highschool 6 years ago, and I remember in class the kids only had to get dressed up in the school's PE uniform (we didn't have school uniforms-just for PE), and didn't even have to try to do anything. I would literally be running the whole period (August in Florida mind you). Other kids would be sitting on their asses in the shade listening to CD players the wole time, and because they got dressed in the uniform-they got the same exact grade I did. Now I'm not saying everyone will be able to run a whole period, or a 9-minute mile or whatever-that's fine. But they should at least try-kids aren't even walking the track anymore. That's when I realized something was messed up.

That is not it, I wish PE had actually educated me in physical exercise, not just games. I can't do any sport that good, except Boxing I'd say. I didn't learn Boxing in school to say the least.

PE should be exactly what it's called Physical Education. Teach about muscles, muscle systems, but above all, utilize them. I'm sorry, but not having PE is insane, but in this time and if other high schools are like mine in their PE standards, no PE probably doesn't matter. I don't mean to be rude but, PE as it is, is hilarious at best. The mile runs aren't actually "scored", they say give it your all, and then I see people walk half of it, or just walk all of it. I couldn't do my mile runs in the 9th grade, you know what I did? Push-Ups, and lots of them, all of this was done, while I was in a boot cast..Why? Cause I couldn't do the run.

Granted, that teacher wasn't exactly 'the best' because he told me to "walk it off" when I tore my ankle (you could literally see a part of my ankle coming out in my shoe, nasty stuff, but the point is, he pushed me.

I'm going to say the problem is your school's PE program, although I will also say it's not the purpose of PE to teach in-depth anatomy. That's why high schools have health classes. It doesn't sound as though your school bothered to hire a well-trained and qualified PE teacher.

However, what you're talking about also isn't physical education. You're looking for physical TRAINING, which is different, and not something that any public school is likely to start requiring of its general student population.

The purpose of physical education classes, as I said, is to hopefully incur an interest in a more active lifestyle in students. Get them up off their butts, moving around, doing something physical and (hopefully again) enjoyable, so that maybe they'll want to continue it on their own. Calisthenics and forced runs are not going to accomplish that, and frankly, it's not the business of the public schools to try to force good health on people.

.[/QUOTE]

Reading that is a great example as to why America is fat and lazy. Do you lack the self-respect need in life to get ahead iand do those things on your own? Probably considering you need government to provide health care for you.

Forum List

Back