Pds #274

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Interesting column from the Wall Street Journal titled, "In Defense of Sarah Palin".

An excerpt...

___

...Take, for example, foreign policy. True, she seems to know very little about international affairs, but expertise in this area is no guarantee of wise leadership. After all, her rival for the vice presidency, who in some sense knows a great deal, was wrong on almost every major issue that arose in the 30 years he spent in the Senate.

What she does know—and in this respect, she does resemble Reagan—is that the United States has been a force for good in the world, which is more than Barack Obama, whose IQ is no doubt higher than hers, has yet to learn. Jimmy Carter also has a high IQ, which did not prevent him from becoming one of the worst presidents in American history, and so does Bill Clinton, which did not prevent him from befouling the presidential nest.

...I fear that the attitude satirically exaggerated here by Iowahawk is what underlies the rejection of Sarah Palin by so many conservative intellectuals. When push came to shove, they could not resist what Van Voorhees calls Mr. Obama's "prodigious oratorical and intellectuals gifts" and they could not resist attributing Sarah Palin's emergence as a formidable political force to "the base enthusiasms and simian grunts" of "the loathesome Tea Party rabble."

As for me, after more than a year of seeing how those "prodigious oratorical and intellectual gifts" have worked themselves out in action, I remain more convinced than ever of the soundness of Buckley's quip, in the spirit of which I hereby declare that I would rather be ruled by the Tea Party than by the Democratic Party, and I would rather have Sarah Palin sitting in the Oval Office than Barack Obama.
_____

The entire - and very well-written, column can be found here:

Norman Podhoretz: In Defense of Sarah Palin - WSJ.com

Does anyone else find it sad that so many people feel the need to publicly come to the defense of Caribou Barbie?

Does anyone else find it sad that so many people feel the need to publicly come to the defense of Caribou Barbie?

___

Actually, a quick perusal of the various media outlets finds far more attempting to come to the defense of the the White House - so by your own limited attempts at discourse, you are actively diminishing the President of the United States.

You white racist pig!!!!

thats_racist_animated1.gif

___

Actually, a quick perusal of the various media outlets finds far more attempting to come to the defense of the the White House - so by your own limited attempts at discourse, you are actively diminishing the President of the United States.

You white racist pig!!!!

thats_racist_animated1.gif

Hmmmm...really? Are you NOT the author of this thread? You know, the one speakinng about a news OP-Ed piece coming to the defense of Palin?

No one would have to come to her defense if there weren't people attacking her. See how that works? It takes an attack for defense to be necessary. If the attacks stop, there will not be any defense. It's really quite simple, but then I don't expect many around here to grasp the simple.

Rick

No one would have to come to her defense if there weren't people attacking her. See how that works? It takes an attack for defense to be necessary. If the attacks stop, there will not be any defense. It's really quite simple, but then I don't expect many around here to grasp the simple.

Rick

If she stopped sticking her foot in her mouth, telling outright lies, and inciting violence, it might help her too...

Rick

If she stopped sticking her foot in her mouth, telling outright lies, and inciting violence, it might help her too...

I'm sure you're one of the ones that believes that she said "I can see Russia from my house." Aren't you? Did you know that she never said that, that Tina Fey said it on Saturday Night Live in a sketch? That Palin ACTUALLY said that you can see Russia from parts of Alaska, which is actually true? But people still claim that Palin said that she could see Alaska from her house. Goes to show how intelligent people really are.

Rick

Interesting column from the Wall Street Journal titled, "In Defense of Sarah Palin".

An excerpt...

___

...Take, for example, foreign policy. True, she seems to know very little about international affairs, but expertise in this area is no guarantee of wise leadership. After all, her rival for the vice presidency, who in some sense knows a great deal, was wrong on almost every major issue that arose in the 30 years he spent in the Senate.

What she does know—and in this respect, she does resemble Reagan—is that the United States has been a force for good in the world, which is more than Barack Obama, whose IQ is no doubt higher than hers, has yet to learn. Jimmy Carter also has a high IQ, which did not prevent him from becoming one of the worst presidents in American history, and so does Bill Clinton, which did not prevent him from befouling the presidential nest.

...I fear that the attitude satirically exaggerated here by Iowahawk is what underlies the rejection of Sarah Palin by so many conservative intellectuals. When push came to shove, they could not resist what Van Voorhees calls Mr. Obama's "prodigious oratorical and intellectuals gifts" and they could not resist attributing Sarah Palin's emergence as a formidable political force to "the base enthusiasms and simian grunts" of "the loathesome Tea Party rabble."

As for me, after more than a year of seeing how those "prodigious oratorical and intellectual gifts" have worked themselves out in action, I remain more convinced than ever of the soundness of Buckley's quip, in the spirit of which I hereby declare that I would rather be ruled by the Tea Party than by the Democratic Party, and I would rather have Sarah Palin sitting in the Oval Office than Barack Obama.
_____

Its a shame that a once fine institution like the Wall Street Journal has deteriorated into a right wing propaganda sheet since Rupert Murdock has taken over.

The New York Times would never accept such poor journalistic standards

An excerpt...

___

_____

Its a shame that a once fine institution like the Wall Street Journal has deteriorated into a right wing propaganda sheet since Rupert Murdock has taken over.

does jayson blair ring a bell?

The New York Times has "journalistic standards?" Can you prove that?

Rick

The Wall Street Journal is turning a profit and expanding its publication coverage.

The New York Times is floundering.

Perhaps liberals don't read...

The Wall Street Journal is turning a profit and expanding its publication coverage.

The New York Times is floundering.

Perhaps liberals don't read...

or perhaps they have no sense of humor. i find any column comparing palin to any legitimate politician, left or right, excruciatingly funny. apparently mr podhoretz has contracted alzheimers as a tribute to mr reagan. bravo.

BTW, the first 2000 names in the boston phone book doesn't get you anywhere close to the P's.

Another interesting take on the Palin influence - though it should also be noted that the Tea Party folks are showing a far greater degree of independent thought than say the blind Obamabots, for while they show great support for Sarah Palin's anti-Big Government message, they also don't agree with her endorsement of John McCain. JD Hayworth is not trailing by single-digits...

___

McCain understudy Sarah Palin is now the star

...For starters, the understudy is now the star. A majority of Americans may think Palin is not qualified to be president, but the GOP faithful love her, as does cable television. Cable news was fixed on Palin as she delivered her introduction of McCain at a rally in Tucson on Friday afternoon. Minutes after McCain took the microphone, they cut away from the rally for other news.

...For much of his career in Washington, McCain sought to build bridges between the parties. Now, in Obama's Washington, he has joined those in his party at the barricades, not only out of genuine opposition to many of Obama's initiatives but also with an obvious instinct for survival. Whether that will be enough to allow him to return to Washington isn't known.

In his race against Hayworth, he has turned to Palin to build a bridge for him within his party. It is a measure of what has happened -- to McCain and his party -- that just two years after he was the GOP nominee for president, he now needs Palin more than ever to vouch for him.

washingtonpost.com

An excerpt...

___

_____

Egad. Norman Podoretz: The neocon's neocon is a Palin fan?

Podhoretz on Palin | Cato @ Liberty

To be sure, that “class bias” explains a good measure of the hostility Mrs. Palin has faced, especially among that often diverse band called neoconservatives. For like their counterparts on the left, most neoconservatives find their roots in progressivism, not in limited government classical liberalism, and hence in the idea that society should be “run” by elites trained at the “best schools” — the difference being that in engineering society the neoconservatives march to different drummers than modern liberals. Both camps have greater faith in government than does ”the common man,” who is distrusted by both camps (not always without reason), although Podhoretz seems more trustful than most in his band.

Take, for example, foreign policy. True, she seems to know very little about international affairs, but expertise in this area is no guarantee of wise leadership. After all, her rival for the vice presidency, who in some sense knows a great deal, was wrong on almost every major issue that arose in the 30 years he spent in the Senate.

The dumbest statement in the entire opinion piece. Biden voted for the WAR you so desperately wanted, Norman...

Take, for example, foreign policy. True, she seems to know very little about international affairs, but expertise in this area is no guarantee of wise leadership. After all, her rival for the vice presidency, who in some sense knows a great deal, was wrong on almost every major issue that arose in the 30 years he spent in the Senate.

The dumbest statement in the entire opinion piece. Biden voted for the WAR you so desperately wanted, Norman...

___

Back to the kiddie table for you...

The WSJ column is generating some buzz...

___

God bless Norman Podhoretz; I, too, prefer those first 2,000 names in the Boston phone book

...Palin has a similar capacity for speaking hard truths directly and without equivocation. True, she lacks the tempering and experience that Reagan received in two major presidential campaigns, as governor of California for eight years and in his time with GE on the rubber chicken circuit.

But tempering and practical wisdom come from a variety of paths in life and Palin's has certainly not been one of privilege or ease. She is closer to the plain-spoken Truman than to the eloquent FDR who inspired the younger Reagan. Her wisdom, such as it is, may not be profound but it clearly has been hard-earned. That may be exactly what is needed in a troubled nation headed toward that rendezvous with destiny of which Reagan spoke so often.

God bless Norman Podhoretz; I, too, prefer those first 2,000 names in the Boston phone book | Washington Examiner

The New York Times has "journalistic standards?" Can you prove that?

Rick

Well the WSJ sure has PROVEN that they DON'T.

An excerpt...

___

_____

See me, I don't want to be 'ruled' by anyone. I'd much rather have the country 'governed' by the democrats and not the wingnuts.

What she does know—and in this respect, she does resemble Reagan—is that the United States has been a force for good in the world, which is more than Barack Obama, whose IQ is no doubt higher than hers, has yet to learn.

That would depend on the viewpoint of the person giving the assessment. I don't know how India would look at this; nor do I know how the average joe in Granada, Panama, Russia, France, Britain, Spain, Japan, Germany or any of the other nations we've fought in. IMO, the US is not intrinsically good or bad. It waivers depending upon the politics of those in charge. IMO, anyone walking around believing the US is intrinsically good is delusional.

Forum List

Back