PC May Kill Us

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
This is in regards to the allowance of Muslim hate names for teams, in an era that the 'Fight'n Illini' are being urged to get rid of their mascot:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=9323_Muslim_Football_Whitewashes_Intifada

Muslim Football Whitewashes Intifada

On December 6 we had a story about a Muslim football league that included teams with names such as Intifada, Saracens, Soldiers of Allah, and Mujahideen.

Today LGF reader PDM emailed to let me know that the Muslim Football web site now contains a ... well, for lack of a better word, I’ll call it an apology.

In the last few weeks, a number of teams have signed up to participate. The application asked them to select their own team name, which was done with the best of intentions. Among those names that were ultimately selected by the participating teams was “Intifada.” The team names which were selected by youth without much forethought, were not intended to upset or offend anyone. They were selected to act as a positive source of team pride.

Muslimfootball.com apologizes if anyone took offense to what was intended to simply be a positive outlet for Muslim youth. As a point of clarification, team names which have been labeled as offensive and inappropriate, have deeper meanings than has been suggested in recent days. “Intifada,” for example, means uprising and signifies the universal struggle against oppression and injustice all over the world. While the current media connotation of the word is negative in relation to the Palestinian people, to Muslims worldwide, “intifada” means standing up against injustice and supporting truth, not violence or aggression. This is evident even in Palestine, where the non-violent struggle of the indigenous people continues daily. Children avoid tanks and soldiers on their way to school, families try to get food and water under the shadow of curfews, and civilians stand in front of tanks and bulldozers to protect their homes from demolition. This is the “intifada” that participants glorify enough to choose as their team name. It is our hope that nobody takes offense to this idea of resisting oppression, and that people stand with us in solidarity against injustice and oppression everywhere.

We also hope that everyone will remember that this is about local youth playing football. This is not a political controversy or conflict. In that spirit, we hope that our communities will come together to provide a safe, productive and fun environment in which these young people can enjoy themselves.

Notice that the apology only extends to those who were so impolite as to take “offense” at something that was intended to be just good clean fun.

And notice that the team named Intifada is still on the roster—along with a new one called the “88ers.”

“88” is white power code for HH, which stands for “Heil Hitler.” Coincidence?

by Charles at 12:17 PM PST

Originally posted by Kathianne
This is in regards to the allowance of Muslim hate names for teams, in an era that the 'Fight'n Illini' are being urged to get rid of their mascot:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=9323_Muslim_Football_Whitewashes_Intifada

Muslim Football Whitewashes Intifada

On December 6 we had a story about a Muslim football league that included teams with names such as Intifada, Saracens, Soldiers of Allah, and Mujahideen.

Today LGF reader PDM emailed to let me know that the Muslim Football web site now contains a ... well, for lack of a better word, I’ll call it an apology.

In the last few weeks, a number of teams have signed up to participate. The application asked them to select their own team name, which was done with the best of intentions. Among those names that were ultimately selected by the participating teams was “Intifada.” The team names which were selected by youth without much forethought, were not intended to upset or offend anyone. They were selected to act as a positive source of team pride.

Muslimfootball.com apologizes if anyone took offense to what was intended to simply be a positive outlet for Muslim youth. As a point of clarification, team names which have been labeled as offensive and inappropriate, have deeper meanings than has been suggested in recent days. “Intifada,” for example, means uprising and signifies the universal struggle against oppression and injustice all over the world. While the current media connotation of the word is negative in relation to the Palestinian people, to Muslims worldwide, “intifada” means standing up against injustice and supporting truth, not violence or aggression. This is evident even in Palestine, where the non-violent struggle of the indigenous people continues daily. Children avoid tanks and soldiers on their way to school, families try to get food and water under the shadow of curfews, and civilians stand in front of tanks and bulldozers to protect their homes from demolition. This is the “intifada” that participants glorify enough to choose as their team name. It is our hope that nobody takes offense to this idea of resisting oppression, and that people stand with us in solidarity against injustice and oppression everywhere.

We also hope that everyone will remember that this is about local youth playing football. This is not a political controversy or conflict. In that spirit, we hope that our communities will come together to provide a safe, productive and fun environment in which these young people can enjoy themselves.

Notice that the apology only extends to those who were so impolite as to take “offense” at something that was intended to be just good clean fun.

And notice that the team named Intifada is still on the roster—along with a new one called the “88ers.”

“88” is white power code for HH, which stands for “Heil Hitler.” Coincidence?

by Charles at 12:17 PM PST

I have to admitt, I've heard about this and frankly I think that these names should be banned. I don't think they could legally be banned as it is free speech, but in the interest of good taste and promoting cross-cultural community I think it would be responsible to self-impose a ban it the interest of cross cultural community building.

There is no doubt that the names ARE protected by free speech, and should it ever be so. At the same time, should the ability of the left or right be curtailed in the name of political correctness? I don't think so.

Yet, within months they are. It's not ok for Islamic youth to have 'free speech' and Rush Limbaugh, (no matter that I do disagree with most of what he says), to lose a lucrative contract. Truth is both should be free to say what they will, and be willing to pay the consequences. (Rush was, the kids not.)

I thought the "88" thing was a "Nascar" thing. We readily identify, deservedly or not so, with popular names and numbers. Dale Jarret certailnly doesn't mind anyone using "88" as their moniker. Sheesh, you're getting this liberal awfully paranoid!!!!

NOT!!!!!!!

Forum List

Back