PC=Censorship

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.carolinajournal.com/excl...ve.html?id=2780&BMIDS=13194483-cc0c7b79-79636

Daily Tar Heel Columnist Fired
Jillian Bandes' column on post-9/11 airport security caused ouster

By Shannon Blosser

September 15, 2005

CHAPEL HILL – A UNC-Chapel Hill student was fired from The Daily Tar Heel, the school’s student newspaper, Wednesday after she wrote a column on airport security that maintained Arabs should be “stripped naked and cavity-searched if they get within 100 yards of an airport.”

Jillian Bandes, a junior from Florida, was the author of the column that ran in Tuesday’s edition of the school paper. She says she was just stating her opinion on airport security in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and was never given an opportunity from The Daily Tar Heel editors to defend herself.

In an interview with the John W. Pope Center for Higher Education Policy she said the column was based on a trip she took to Israel sponsored by The Foundation for the Defense of Democracy, a Washington, D.C., think tank that attempts to educate the public on terrorism-related issues. She also included comments from Arab students and a professor who supported racial profiling.

“I don’t care if they’re being inconvenienced,” Bandes wrote. “I don’t care if it seems as though their rights are being violated. I care about my life. I care about the lives of my family and friends. And I care about the lives of the Arabs and Arab-Americans I’m privileged to know and study with. They’re some of the brightest, kindest people I’ve ever met.”

After running a letter to the editor Wednesday from the Muslim Students Association denouncing the column and questioning the validity of some of the comments in the article, Chris Coletta, opinion editor for The Daily Tar Heel, met with Bandes Wednesday afternoon to inform her of her termination. Bandes said she was never given an opportunity to write a column apologizing to offended students, a practice that has precedent with the paper. She said that was going to be the topic of her next column.

Bandes was fired after writing just three columns for The Daily Tar Heel.

“His mind was already made up,” Bandes said of Coletta. “There was really no contest.”

Coletta refused to go into detail about the firing saying only that, “It’s unfortunate. I wish it didn’t have to happen.” He also said that his only public comments on the situation would be made on his Daily Tar Heel blog, The Bullhorn, the editor’s blog and a column published Thursday.

The students Bandes quoted in the column claimed that she misrepresented their comments. Bandes said the quotes were accurate but admits to using hyperbole in her own comments to make her points in the column. But said that she didn’t believe her actions were outside the bounds of journalism standards.

Bandes said the column began as a comment on the fourth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C. But as she wrote the column, Bandes said it evolved into something more and she decided to focus on racial profiling’s role in fighting terrorism. She told her sources that she was looking at Sept. 11 and racial profiling when she interviewed them.

For the most part, Bandes said she received comments from students who supported her right to say what she wrote, not necessarily the ideas that she supported. She said she also received some “profane e-mails.”

When asked if she could rewrite the column would she write the same way, Bandes responded, “Nope.”

“I wanted to get people talking,” Bandes said. “I did that. It also got me fired.”

Clearly, a grossly insensitive column. Everyone knows that little old white ladies are statistically just as likely to be terrorists as Arab men between the ages of 20 and 40.

William Joyce said:
Clearly, a grossly insensitive column. Everyone knows that little old white ladies are statistically just as likely to be terrorists as Arab men between the ages of 20 and 40.

They must be. Because I've seen A NUN and AN ELDERLY MIDWESTERN FARMER IN A JOHN DEERE HAT searched by the geniuses at the TSA. Since as we know Bush started the TSA as part of the war on terrorism they must be considered threats by Bush and his administration.

Otherwise they would have a better system. Right?

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Nuc said:
They must be. Because I've seen A NUN and AN ELDERLY MIDWESTERN FARMER IN A JOHN DEERE HAT searched by the geniuses at the TSA. Since as we know Bush started the TSA as part of the war on terrorism they must be considered threats by Bush and his administration.

Having actually worked in Federal as well as local law enforcement...I can assure you that any officer would rather profile real suspects...ya can blame this on the ACLU not any administration or officer! Please include paranoid liberals in this assessment! :blues:

archangel said:
Having actually worked in Federal as well as local law enforcement...I can assure you that any officer would rather profile real suspects...ya can blame this on the ACLU not any administration or officer! Please include paranoid liberals in this assessment! :blues:

These morons had uniforms that said "TSA" not "ACLU". TSA is a branch of this administration. They are responsible for their own behavior.

Nuc said:
These morons had uniforms that said "TSA" not "ACLU". TSA is a branch of this administration. They are responsible for their own behavior.

did you ever think that maybe-just maybe... their hands are tied by ACLU complaints...their behavoir is caused by ACLU profiling complaints...dah! :eek:

archangel said:
did you ever think that maybe-just maybe... their hands are tied by ACLU complaints...their behavoir is caused by ACLU profiling complaints...dah! :eek:

As you like to say
:link: :link: :link:

Oh and here's a special one for you:

:wank: :gay: :wank: :gay: :wank: :gay:

Nuc said:
As you like to say
:link: :link: :link:

Oh and here's a special one for you:

:wank: :gay: :wank: :gay: :wank: :gay:

link to what.... try ACLU cases filed for profiling... in google...being that google fits with wank et al!

archangel said:
link to what.... try ACLU cases filed for profiling... in google...being that google fits with wank et al!

Link to anything that proves the ACLU is behind the retarded Bush Administration travesty known as the TSA.

Hobbit said:
Straight from the ACLU website.

http://www.aclufl.org/news_events/archive/2003/rajcoomarsettlement073103.cfm

Oh, and I've been searched a lot, too, because clean-cut, white, 20-somthings in college apparel hijack so many planes. The only one I think that was justified was the time I had my electronics project in my backpack.

When it comes to proving the evils of the ACLU, it's like shooting fish in a barrel, isn't it? Nice job. :thup:

In case anyone doesn't want to use the link, an excerpt:

"WEST PALM BEACH and PHILADELPHIA ? The American Civil Liberties Union today announced an unprecedented settlement agreement that will ? for the first time ever ? require an agency within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to substantially alter its policies and training procedures. These changes came in response to a lawsuit filed by the ACLU on behalf of a Lake Worth doctor who was detained for hours by federal air marshals because they did not "like the way he looked."

"Today's settlement agreement is important because it has forced the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to take steps that should prevent air marshals from subjecting passengers to arrests solely because of race or ethnicity," said Legal Director of ACLU of Pennsylvania Stefan Presser, who served as counsel in this lawsuit along with Jim Green, an attorney with the ACLU of Florida."

Hobbit said:
Straight from the ACLU website.

http://www.aclufl.org/news_events/archive/2003/rajcoomarsettlement073103.cfm

Oh, and I've been searched a lot, too, because clean-cut, white, 20-somthings in college apparel hijack so many planes. The only one I think that was justified was the time I had my electronics project in my backpack.

Thanks for the link Hobbit. Did you read the whole thing. The guy the ACLU represented WAS abused by the TSA. So the TSA brought this result upon themselves by their own stupidity. Which was my original point. Bush created the TSA. The Feds hired a bunch of borderline retarded to work for it. How do I know this? Experience and observation. These clowns wouldn't recognize Osama Bin Laden if he was walking through the metal detector. Hell, if he showed them a passport that SAID "Osama Bin Laden" and listed occupation as "Terrorist" they'd let him through. Because they are idiots and illiterates. I stand by my original theory. TSA is bad because it is inefficient. It's expensive. And it's an example of big government.

Nuc said:
Thanks for the link Hobbit. Did you read the whole thing. The guy the ACLU represented WAS abused by the TSA. So the TSA brought this result upon themselves by their own stupidity. Which was my original point. Bush created the TSA. The Feds hired a bunch of borderline retarded to work for it. How do I know this? Experience and observation. These clowns wouldn't recognize Osama Bin Laden if he was walking through the metal detector. Hell, if he showed them a passport that SAID "Osama Bin Laden" and listed occupation as "Terrorist" they'd let him through. Because they are idiots and illiterates. I stand by my original theory. TSA is bad because it is inefficient. It's expensive. And it's an example of big government.

agree that TSA does have some very profound problems with less than qualified people...I do argue the point that the ACLU does in fact inhibit law enforcement in justified profiling in relation to terrorism...

see: www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/ethicalperspectives

Racial Profiling in an Age of Terrorism

Nuc said:

Careful what you ask for. The TSA is a bandaid to appease the whines and squeals post 9/11. It's real effect is probably close to nil. Then there's figuring the odds that terrorists will try to attack us exactly the same way twice. Possible but improbable.

However, to institute any REAL and EFFECTIVE security measures would have those who place their personal liberties above all else squealing like stuck pigs. Such measures would DEFINITELY challenge the Constitution, and political correctness would have to be completely abandoned.

The truly self-centered "I-Me" crowd are not about to give any of that up.

archangel said:
agree that TSA does have some very profound problems with less than qualified people...I do argue the point that the ACLU does in fact inhibit law enforcement in justified profiling in relation to terrorism...

see: www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/ethicalperspectives

Racial Profiling in an Age of Terrorism

The problem with ACLU is that it is an advocacy group. There are too many groups in this society who advocate exclusively for their own interests. The civil rights movement started in response to a need. Now it's just "do what the blacks want". Feminism started for some good reasons, now, "give women what they want". Retired people vote in blocs against education funding, simply because they don't need it. Who cares about society at large? ACLU has a set of principles they pursue whether or not it's in the interest of the public. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong, but they don't choose their causes on that basis. We need more groups working towards the common good and less on behalf of their own little subcultures.

Nuc said:
The problem with ACLU is that it is an advocacy group. There are too many groups in this society who advocate exclusively for their own interests. The civil rights movement started in response to a need. Now it's just "do what the blacks want". Feminism started for some good reasons, now, "give women what they want". Retired people vote in blocs against education funding, simply because they don't need it. Who cares about society at large? ACLU has a set of principles they pursue whether or not it's in the interest of the public. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong, but they don't choose their causes on that basis. We need more groups working towards the common good and less on behalf of their own little subcultures.

Exactly why multi-culturism ends up being a disaster !!!!!!

Forum List

Back