PBS to End Religious Programming!

immto

Return to Freedom
Jun 28, 2009
Danville, IL
Well Score another point for the anti-faith movement in one of the largest Muslim Countries in the world. Is this really were we as a nation are moving towards. Anyone that knows me well knows that I am not a very faithful person, but I have respect for those that do. I have no problem with those who wish to express their faith have outlets to do so, and if PBS wants to allow this there should be no restriction in place that would hinder that action.

The real question here is why now. The so-called rule has been in place for some time now. PBS has never worried themselves over it until now. Why Now? Who is making this happen?

I'm going to look closer into this one. I suggest everyone who loves freedom do the same. Maybe we can overturn the rule that's been in place for 25 years. Then PBS wouldn't have an issue at all.

JB has been working on them with his witty anti Christ stuff. ::sarcasm::

Greetings immto,

I'd like to know where you are getting this information from especially the source. I am certain that I can google too, but then I will likely get a ton of hits. Can you provide a link to the articles where you got this? Please and thank you.

Immie

Not end it, but not take any new religious programs. I think there are three affiliates that air religious programs, btw.

You should be thankful, since you seem to be terrified of Muslims, that they've decided to abide by the 1985 rule...this way no Muslim religious broadcasts will be on PBS.

PBS did NOT end religious programming, sectarian or nonsectarian; "immto" and others who say that haven't carefully reviewed the updated PBS requirement on religious programming summarized in the 6/16/09 posting on "Current," a public broadcasting newspaper:

"In a compromise with the small number of PBS stations running religious programming, the PBS board today approved a membership requirement that would allow those shows to continue but would ban more sectarian programs to be added on PRIMARY channels. Also, religious programs may be carried on MULTICAST [SECONDARY] channels or OTHER PLATFORMS as long as PBS branding is not included...." [Emphases added]

The PBS board updated the requirement to accommodate the federally mandated 6/12/09 conversion from analog to digital television, whereby 356 locally owned and managed PBS stations can MULTICAST two or more digital channels from one FCC-licensed transmitter.

Per my understanding of the requirement, any station can provide Christian, Jewish, Islamic or other sectarian programs on a SECONDARY channel if they're not PBS-branded, its Website can be a PLATFORM for such programs if they're not PBS-branded, and its PRIMARY or other SECONDARY channels can continue providing PBS-branded nonsectarian programs like "P.O.V. New Muslim Cool."

Since the Public Broadcasting Act of 1967 was enacted, PBS and its member stations have provided a large and varied array of religious programming. With digital TV and the updated requirement, that tradition will clearly continue.

Richard Lee Dechert
(A media researcher and retired PBS station staffer speaking only for myself.)

Well Score another point for the anti-faith movement in one of the largest Muslim Countries in the world. Is this really were we as a nation are moving towards. Anyone that knows me well knows that I am not a very faithful person, but I have respect for those that do. I have no problem with those who wish to express their faith have outlets to do so, and if PBS wants to allow this there should be no restriction in place that would hinder that action.

The real question here is why now. The so-called rule has been in place for some time now. PBS has never worried themselves over it until now. Why Now? Who is making this happen?

I'm going to look closer into this one. I suggest everyone who loves freedom do the same. Maybe we can overturn the rule that's been in place for 25 years. Then PBS wouldn't have an issue at all.

Um ... easy answer: PBS airs what is wanted locally. Ours shows a ton of Yoga crap, which I never watch, they use to show Red Dwarf ... but since they stopped showing that I stopped paying attention. Thus they are the Public Broadcasting Station.

Forum List

Back