Payroll Tax Cut Extension Rejected In Senate Vote

Don't ask me.

Ask the Repubs who just raised the taxes on the 99% while keeping the lower taxes for the 1%.

Why don't we also ask them why the tax cuts for the wealthy "pay for themselves" while tax cuts for the rest of us have to be taken from something else that just might benefit the 99%.

Why don't you prove your assertions by giving citations ...

Uh, two links have been posted in this thread already. If you don't agree that the payroll tax extensions were filibustered, post a link that proves that.

Or don't.

Who cares?

fillibustered by three demoncrats.. have ya noticed no demoncrat will get their picture made with obiedoodle????

Don't ask me.

Ask the Repubs who just raised the taxes on the 99% while keeping the lower taxes for the 1%.

Why don't we also ask them why the tax cuts for the wealthy "pay for themselves" while tax cuts for the rest of us have to be taken from something else that just might benefit the 99%.

Uh, two links have been posted in this thread already. If you don't agree that the payroll tax extensions were filibustered, post a link that proves that.

Or don't.

Who cares?

I never said they weren't I just refuted your assertion that republicans are raising taxes in the poor and middle class..

WASHINGTON -- The Senate failed Thursday to pass an extension of a payroll tax cut, leaving in limbo a break that saved working class households about $1,000 a piece this year.

Democrats sought to extend and expand the break, while paying for it with a 3.25 percent surtax on incomes over $1 million. Just one Senate Republican, Maine's Susan Collins, voted for the middle class break, which died 51 to 49 in a filibuster. Three Democrats opposed the bill.

"I am extremely disappointed that Republicans' insistence on protecting millionaires from paying a penny more in taxes has blocked our effort to extend and expand the payroll tax cut for millions of middle class families and small business owners," said Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.).

Minutes later, a Republican version of the measure was blocked by Democrats and a majority of the GOP senators.

The phucking Senate is owned by the demoncrats.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:cuckoo::cuckoo: I am a little confused here. We have a DEMOCRAT majority in the U.S. Senate and they voted AGAINST the extension or the tax cut of 2 cents on the dollar for the social security payroll tax?

What the HELL--this is what Obama has been campaigning on for the last several weeks! Must be that his own party is distancing themselves from him.

Last edited:
WASHINGTON -- The Senate failed Thursday to pass an extension of a payroll tax cut, leaving in limbo a break that saved working class households about $1,000 a piece this year.

Democrats sought to extend and expand the break, while paying for it with a 3.25 percent surtax on incomes over $1 million. Just one Senate Republican, Maine's Susan Collins, voted for the middle class break, which died 51 to 49 in a filibuster. Three Democrats opposed the bill.

"I am extremely disappointed that Republicans' insistence on protecting millionaires from paying a penny more in taxes has blocked our effort to extend and expand the payroll tax cut for millions of middle class families and small business owners," said Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.).

Minutes later, a Republican version of the measure was blocked by Democrats and a majority of the GOP senators.

The phucking Senate is owned by the demoncrats.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:cuckoo::cuckoo: I am a little confused here. We have a DEMOCRAT majority in the U.S. Senate and they voted AGAINST the extension or the tax cut of 2 cents on the dollar for the social security payroll tax?

What the HELL--this is what Obama has been campaigning on for the last several weeks! Must be that his own party is distancing themselves from him.

I don't believe 99% of democrats understand how our government works...

The media just tells them shit and they believe it then they regurgitate what they heard..

I'd bet 99% of progressives would fail a government test.. Executive, legislative and judicial are alien to the democrats... This is why they blame the executive (never a democrat tho)....

Or don't.

Who cares?

I never said they weren't I just refuted your assertion that republicans are raising taxes in the poor and middle class..

They blocked an extension of the tax cut. That's what Republicans call a tax increase.

Or don't.

Who cares?

fillibustered by three demoncrats.. have ya noticed no demoncrat will get their picture made with obiedoodle????

Hey, you corpulent corn dog addict, the Republicans filibustered it.

Or don't.

Who cares?

They blocked an extension of the tax cut. That's what Republicans call a tax increase.

Yeah. The Democrats did block an extension of the tax cut. And yes it is a tax increase.

Don't Democrats still control the Senate? Just a simple yes or no answer will do on this one. But the SENATE is, or is not, majority DEMOCRAT. "Majority".

BTW cutting taxes in on area to raise taxes in another is not really a tax cut.

Cut spending. Cut taxes, and then work hard and the economy will grow.

Well, there goes $1,000 per person, in the US, which WOULD have gone into the economy, which will now flow to Washington DC's ever-efficient hands. Whats that.....$300,000,000,000 roughly?

Nice job Democrats. Guess they couldnt let Federal Workers "do their fair share" by having a pay freeze and trimming bloated government.

Under Obama, just off the top of my head, taxes have gone up on cigarettes, tanning, gas, payroll, healthcare.

Obama: The President Who Whined "Tax the Rich" While Raising Taxes on Everyone But the Rich!!!!

Secretly , I love it because it'll barely affect me but will drive left wingers insane haha!!

Pure partisan political games from the democrats. No attempt to work together, not until political points are maximized. It is the democrats, not the repubs who are holding this up. Self first, party second, special interests third, country somewhere lower. Might be good politics, but the country suffers for it. Nice goin' dems.

Or don't.

Who cares?

Republicans cant block anything in the Senate since they have no power..

"thats what republicans call a tax increase"

Are you fucking dumb??

Allegedly (in your ignorant mind) blocking tax cuts are tax raises..

How the fuck do you even create this shit in your mind.... I suppose hot water is cold water???

BTW cutting taxes in on area to raise taxes in another is not really a tax cut.

Cut spending. Cut taxes, and then work hard and the economy will grow.

Well, that is a state issue...

80% of taxes are state taxes anyways...

Republicans cant block anything in the Senate since they have no power..

Are you an idiot? The Senate isn't a majoritarian body, which is why a 51-vote majority failed to carry the day on this piece of legislation. Let me repeat that for you: in the vote this thread is about, the yeas were 51 and the nays were 49. The yeas lost.

How can anyone graduate high school (and, yes, I'm making some assumptions about your age that now seem unjustified), much less actively post on a political discussion board, and have no idea how American legislative bodies work?

Of course the present minority can block anything it pleases. And since you apparently don't read the news much, let me bring you up to speed: it has blocked legislation, repeatedly.

Forum List

Back