Payroll Tax Cut Extension Rejected In Senate Vote

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
WASHINGTON -- The Senate failed Thursday to pass an extension of a payroll tax cut, leaving in limbo a break that saved working class households about $1,000 a piece this year.

Democrats sought to extend and expand the break, while paying for it with a 3.25 percent surtax on incomes over $1 million. Just one Senate Republican, Maine's Susan Collins, voted for the middle class break, which died 51 to 49 in a filibuster. Three Democrats opposed the bill.

"I am extremely disappointed that Republicans' insistence on protecting millionaires from paying a penny more in taxes has blocked our effort to extend and expand the payroll tax cut for millions of middle class families and small business owners," said Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.).

Minutes later, a Republican version of the measure was blocked by Democrats and a majority of the GOP senators.

The phucking Senate is owned by the demoncrats.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm shocked that the senate would have the audacity to reject any tax reduction...

"Tonight's votes highlight a sharp contrast between the two parties: Democrats voted to put more money in the pockets of the middle class families who need it most, while Republicans would only support a bill that exacts a price from middle class workers while protecting the wealthiest Americans," Murray, the fourth-ranking Democrat, said.

Did anyone really expect the Repubs to do anything FOR the working class?

Of course not. They work for the 1% and we all know it.

Who were the three Dems? Hope they lose their jobs next election.

I'm just really sick of this constant sucking up to money at the expense of country.

Another day, another filibuster.

yawn.gif

"Tonight's votes highlight a sharp contrast between the two parties: Democrats voted to put more money in the pockets of the middle class families who need it most, while Republicans would only support a bill that exacts a price from middle class workers while protecting the wealthiest Americans," Murray, the fourth-ranking Democrat, said.

I'm just really sick of this constant sucking up to money at the expense of country.

Really??

Explain to me how tax increases do anything for the productive??

Really??

Don't ask me.

Ask the Repubs who just raised the taxes on the 99% while keeping the lower taxes for the 1%.

Why don't we also ask them why the tax cuts for the wealthy "pay for themselves" while tax cuts for the rest of us have to be taken from something else that just might benefit the 99%.

I like how the democratic party realizes their own platform sucks donkey balls and are now trying to hijack the republican platform.

PRICELESS.

Really??

Don't ask me.

Ask the Repubs who just raised the taxes on the 99% while keeping the lower taxes for the 1%.

Why don't we also ask them why the tax cuts for the wealthy "pay for themselves" while tax cuts for the rest of us have to be taken from something else that just might benefit the 99%.

Why don't you prove your assertions by giving citations ...

I like how the democratic party realizes their own platform sucks donkey balls and are now trying to hijack the republican platform.

PRICELESS.

I love how delusional they all are..

All they do is make shit up then spew their reality like its somehow a truth...

Every progressive has a unique delusion they believe to be true.

WASHINGTON -- The Senate failed Thursday to pass an extension of a payroll tax cut, leaving in limbo a break that saved working class households about $1,000 a piece this year.

Democrats sought to extend and expand the break, while paying for it with a 3.25 percent surtax on incomes over $1 million. Just one Senate Republican, Maine's Susan Collins, voted for the middle class break, which died 51 to 49 in a filibuster. Three Democrats opposed the bill.

"I am extremely disappointed that Republicans' insistence on protecting millionaires from paying a penny more in taxes has blocked our effort to extend and expand the payroll tax cut for millions of middle class families and small business owners," said Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.).

Minutes later, a Republican version of the measure was blocked by Democrats and a majority of the GOP senators.

Every Time, Every Place, that a Millionaire Sir Tax is Tried it fails to Raise the Money expected. Millionaires can move themselves and their Money. It wont come close to raising the Money needed.

Besides we need to start making some damn cuts before we start talking about Anymore Tax Increases if you ask me. We owe that to everyone, Millionaire and the middle and the poor. It makes no sense to just keep spending spending spending, and thinking we can pay for it with sir Taxes on Millionaires.

Show you mean business on making some real cuts, then we can talk about Taxes.

The Republican Version Offered the Same Extension and paid for it with Cuts. Which in a down Economy is the Responsible Way to do it, Not Raising taxes.

Every Time, Every Place, that a Millionaire Sir Tax is Tried it fails to Raise the Money expected. Millionaires can move themselves and their Money. It wont come close to raising the Money needed.

Besides we need to start making some damn cuts before we start talking about Anymore Tax Increases if you ask me. We owe that to everyone, Millionaire and the middle and the poor. It makes no sense to just keep spending spending spending, and thinking we can pay for it with sir Taxes on Millionaires.

The Republican Version Offered the Same Extension and paid for it with Cuts. Which in a down Economy is the Responsible Way to do it, Not Raising taxes.

Cuts??

Democrats hate capitalism and their goal is Cloward-Piven....

That's obvious and their actions led credence to my assertion...

Really??

Don't ask me.

Why don't you prove your assertions by giving citations ...

Uh, two links have been posted in this thread already. If you don't agree that the payroll tax extensions were filibustered, post a link that proves that.

Or don't.

Who cares?

Patty Murray.....now that is a legislator we can be proud of.

She speaks out her ass as clearly as anyone I have ever seen.

demoncrats are addicted to spending that's how they buy their votes.

Forum List

Back