Payments to sister's company were 'legitimate,' Steele says

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
From CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

RNC chairman Michael Steele responded Sunday to a recent Washington Post report.
WASHINGTON (CNN) – New Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele said Sunday that payments to his sister’s company by his 2006 Senate campaign were proper.

Steele’s former finance chairman alleged in documents provided to federal prosecutors that Steele arranged for his Senate campaign to pay tens of thousands of dollars to a company owned by his sister, according to a report by the Washington Post published Saturday.

Alan B. Fabian, the former Steele aide, alleged that the company never performed any services for the campaign in exchange for the money and the Post reported that the company was defunct at the time the payment was made.

“It was a legitimate reimbursement of expenses, Steele told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos Sunday. “If my sister had not been reimbursed, I and she would have been in violation of McCain-Feingold finance law,” Steele added.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

The left hate machine will treat Steele just the way they treated Palin.

I think waiting until we have some actual facts might be a good idea, don't you?

What we have here is an allegation and denial.. and that's all we have.

How can any of us comment intelligently based on nothing but that?

I think waiting until we have some actual facts might be a good idea, don't you?

did you skip over the original article and commentary from roberto perchance? oh,, and don't overlook the fact that the obamalama AG leaked the info.. :)

did you skip over the original article and commentary from roberto perchance?

I'd hardly call that commentary.

It went up in flames in like 5 posts. Michael Steele wasn't even mentioned after the first page.

Am I the only one who thinks it was bad form on Steele's part to deal with his sister in the first place? It may be legal, but it sure as hell looks bad.

Am I the only one who thinks it was bad form on Steele's part to deal with his sister in the first place? It may be legal, but it sure as hell looks bad.

All politicians do it... just funneling their campaign contributions anyway they can to family/kids or relations

fyi Pelosi did business wid her hubby,,

I'm not excusing Pelosi, nor Steele, nor anyone else. I think both Parties are jam packed full of crooks, so if you're looking to get into a "my crook isn't as bad as your crook" argument, I'm not the guy to try it with.

I'm not excusing Pelosi, nor Steele, nor anyone else. I think both Parties are jam packed full of crooks, so if you're looking to get into a "my crook isn't as bad as your crook" argument, I'm not the guy to try it with.

nope,, that wasn't my goal,, my goal is to tell you the left wing hate groups will go after Steele with all the vitriol they can muster.. and smear him as much as they can,,

nope,, that wasn't my goal,, my goal is to tell you the left wing hate groups will go after Steele with all the vitriol they can muster.. and smear him as much as they can,,

Oh, but it was you intention to excuse Steele because he is a Republican. Daschle was caught out, and deserved what he got for his failure to pay the proper taxes. Steele, and the rest of the politicians that use their position for vast financial gain, need also to be outed. They have done untold harm to our nation by putting the interests of the people funneling money to them through their relitives ahead of the interests of the nation. One example that comes immediatly to mind is Phil Gramm and Enron. I am sure that there have been equally odious relationships on the Democratic side. Time for a lot more daylight on all of the dealings of the people who make our laws.

she's talking out her butt because she knows how she'd be writing about a dem... and in fact how they ALWAYS write about dems.

I agree with you, though....

Oh, but it was you intention to excuse Steele
because he is a Republican. Daschle was caught out, and deserved what he got for his failure to pay the proper taxes. Steele, and the rest of the politicians that use their position for vast financial gain, need also to be outed. They have done untold harm to our nation by putting the interests of the people funneling money to them through their relitives ahead of the interests of the nation. One example that comes immediatly to mind is Phil Gramm and Enron. I am sure that there have been equally odious relationships on the Democratic side. Time for a lot more daylight on all of the dealings of the people who make our laws.

Excuse him for what? He said it was legitimate and not against the law. Just as Pelosi said hers was.. So excuse him for what?

Oh, but it was you intention to excuse Steele
because he is a Republican. Daschle was caught out, and deserved what he got for his failure to pay the proper taxes. Steele, and the rest of the politicians that use their position for vast financial gain, need also to be outed. They have done untold harm to our nation by putting the interests of the people funneling money to them through their relitives ahead of the interests of the nation. One example that comes immediatly to mind is Phil Gramm and Enron. I am sure that there have been equally odious relationships on the Democratic side. Time for a lot more daylight on all of the dealings of the people who make our laws.

Excuse him for what? He said it was legitimate and not against the law. Just as Pelosi said hers was.. So excuse him for what?

:razz::lol::razz:

Unless I misread the article, Steele admitted paying his sister's company. That's what I have a problem with. It may not be illegal, but I think it should be. IMHO, nepotism and campaign funds just shouldn't mix.

Unless I misread the article, Steele admitted paying his sister's company. That's what I have a problem with. It may not be illegal, but I think it should be. IMHO, nepotism and campaign funds just shouldn't mix.

you read it correctly,, the obamalama AG office leaked the info from a sealed file, and the leftist media went nutso trying to smear Steele. For doing the same thing Pelosi did... :lol:

Forum List

Back