Paying workers extra for showing up on time

I would think "not losing a limb" or "not dying" would be a better safety incentive than a TV, but maybe that's just me.

As many of you know, I teach high school and I am real ballbuster when it comes to tardiness and truancy. I think "just showing up" ON TIME is one of the most important responsibilities schools can teach. Unfortunately, many teachers and schools see this as one of the least. Hence, employers are screaming that they can find decent help. No duh...

It's not "losing life or limb". It's creating a culture that prevent employees from taking short cuts and chances. If you take a "proactive" approach you use incentives to help employees develop good safety work practices that prevent future accidents.

teachers. They are put on administrative leave then moved to another school. IT happens all the time especially if this teacher is high on tenor.. Example,. Wisconsin. Teachers called in sick to protest. They should have gotton fired since a lot were shown protesting . Did they NOPE!!

Bullshit. If you're going to "fire" every worker who has played hooky from work you'll effectively "fire" about 98% of the workforce.

Please show me ONE labor contrct that says someone can't be fired NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO.

Lovebear,

Hyperbole is lost on people like goose.

He knows union members have to go far out of thier way to get fired, especially when compared to non-union workers.

take a look at the idiocy of 98% getting canned for playing hooky. Everyone knows you can call off from work, but most honest people only do it when the need a break, and not on a regular basis. Or even dropped the bar down to the point they demand a bonus for only being 30 minutes late over a short period of time.

And you just proved you are totally clueless when it comes to organized labor. I don't know of one place that wouldn't fire people who continuously come in late to work.

And..........if the employer(s) in the OP agreed to or offered that incentive then the union would be crazy NOT to take it, right stupid?

Why the hate for unions? Did you cross a picket line and get your feelings hurt when they rightfully called you a scab? Did they give you a beating? Were you reduced to tears? That's my guess and I'm betting I'm right.

Employee's join union not because of money or benefits because all good companies provide a competitive wage and benefit but those that treat the employee like they don't matter deserve a union. The Golden Rule still works after all these years.

teachers. They are put on administrative leave then moved to another school. IT happens all the time especially if this teacher is high on tenor.. Example,. Wisconsin. Teachers called in sick to protest. They should have gotton fired since a lot were shown protesting . Did they NOPE!!

Bullshit. If you're going to "fire" every worker who has played hooky from work you'll effectively "fire" about 98% of the workforce.

Please show me ONE labor contrct that says someone can't be fired NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO.

Lovebear,

Hyperbole is lost on people like goose.

He knows union members have to go far out of thier way to get fired, especially when compared to non-union workers.

take a look at the idiocy of 98% getting canned for playing hooky. Everyone knows you can call off from work, but most honest people only do it when the need a break, and not on a regular basis. Or even dropped the bar down to the point they demand a bonus for only being 30 minutes late over a short period of time.
Plus so many called out in Wisconsin that the schools had to shut down. The non union workers showed up but had to be sent home because of the protest. They should have been disciplined period because all they did was hurt the children even though they said they were doing this for the children . I call BULL shit when a lot of them were dragging down young children to chant for them when they did not even know what they were chanting . I see brainwashing at its finest!

acting on orders from gov. Chris christie, the south jersey port corp. Is no longer awarding bonuses to workers who show up on time.

The agency's board eliminated giving a day's pay for every two consecutive months that workers showed up no more than 30 minutes late. The board also ended the 40-year practice that allowed workers to convert vacation and sick days to cash.

The agency also planned to eliminate giving free tvs to union employees at the broadway or beckett street terminals who work four years with no accidents.

south jersey public agency ends practice of paying workers extra for showing up on time | nj.com

they could even be late; just less than 30 mins. :confused:

This is the kind of crap that boils my blood.

Can anyone think of any other job where people get bonuses for just showing up?

ceo?

29 employees are non-union. But these boards in NJ have been operating with very little oversight and are filled with political patronage jobs. It's not called the "Soprano State" for nuttin.

Unions try to get the best deal they can for their members. And in a corrupt state like NJ, it was like a bunch of little kids in a candy store.

Four years without an accident and you are awarded with a TV? Do they think people deliberately get hurt? Maybe...

No. It's an incentive to help employees develop safer work practices. And it works.

When you compare the cost of injuries (the average injury costs $38,000 in direct and indirect costs) you quickly see how cost effective incentives really are.

Estimating and calculating the true cost of workplace injuries

I don't have a problem with incentives for safety, but the bonus for getting to work on time is stupid.

South Jersey public agency ends practice of paying workers extra for showing up on time | NJ.com

They could even be late; just less than 30 mins. :confused:

All I can say is they were smart to end those incentive programs.

I mean an easier way to get people to show up on time is this, late 3 times and you are fired.
I agree, but the thing is most of these people are union workers and we know you cant fire a union person no matter what they do! I am not a union supporter if you cant do your job your fired PERIOD!!!! Why get so many chances?

So many chances - over paid - under worked

All I can say is they were smart to end those incentive programs.

I mean an easier way to get people to show up on time is this, late 3 times and you are fired.
I agree, but the thing is most of these people are union workers and we know you cant fire a union person no matter what they do! I am not a union supporter if you cant do your job your fired PERIOD!!!! Why get so many chances?

Please show me a link or example where ANY worker, union or not, can't be fired "no matter what they do".

I'll be waiting but not holding my breath......

Just one?

How about a K9 officer who hangs his dog by his neck and kicks him on camera, gets fired, and gets his job back with back pay and attorney fees.

WARNING: VIDEO COULD UPSET SOME

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwD_f5QICnI]‪Police Sgt fired for abusing his police dog‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

The North Carolina Highway Patrol K-9 Scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acting on orders from Gov. Chris Christie, the South Jersey Port Corp. is no longer awarding bonuses to workers who show up on time.

The agency's board eliminated giving a day's pay for every two consecutive months that workers showed up no more than 30 minutes late. The board also ended the 40-year practice that allowed workers to convert vacation and sick days to cash.

The agency also planned to eliminate giving free TVs to union employees at the Broadway or Beckett Street terminals who work four years with no accidents.

South Jersey public agency ends practice of paying workers extra for showing up on time | NJ.com

waaaay back when, when I worked security, they had us arrive 15 minutes early before shift time and they paid us. when that didn't work out they added a bonus. better results but.....they finally hit upon it, discipline and guess what?

the results were far better than both. the rank and file asked for the 15 minute rule to be reinstated so at least they would get something for being on site and ready to rock by start time...:lol:

The board also ended the 40-year practice that allowed workers to convert vacation and sick days to cash.

frankly I have no problem with converting time to cash, thats a bonus in affect that keeps that rewrds them in effect for not taking time off spuriously.....*shrugs*

I don't see why not, if they leave they get it anyway. at the 2 fortune 500 co's I worked for they allowed us to do that whenever we wanted to. And, when I got laid off they advised me to add the 260 and 180 hours of sick & vac. time I had accrued to my paycheck as cash ins to avoid the supplemental tax rate that would have applied if it was lumped into my severance check.....;)

Acting on orders from Gov. Chris Christie, the South Jersey Port Corp. is no longer awarding bonuses to workers who show up on time.

The agency also planned to eliminate giving free TVs to union employees at the Broadway or Beckett Street terminals who work four years with no accidents.

Wow. lucky buggers. I show up 1 second late and my work is given away to an on call driver. Not only that, I lose my wage guarantee AND if I do it more than 10 times, I'm fired.

Show up over a half hour late? Don't even bother coming in. And I work for a regional government organization. So the standards are pretty lenient in the screw-up department.

Forum List

Back