'Pay Teachers More'

I think the problem is the results that the schools are getting. I think most people would be willing to pay teachers more-if students performed better.

I personally have no problem throwing money at teachers-but not blindly. I think our education system needs to be revamped. A good compromise is to pay teachers more, but get rid of tenure. Getting rid of tenure will naturally make is so that the best teachers are in the classrooms (or at least the worst teachers are out), and by raising salaries you add more incentive to potential teachers.

I don't think education is something that can be fixed just by paying more money-but I also don't think GOOD teachers get paid enough-bad teachers are overpaid and should be fired.

If our teachers are so good....why are the students in this country lagging so far behind the rest of the world?

Students have been coddled. They're push through, give a million "2nd" chances, undisciplined, etc. I had a student tell me to "fuck off" last week...because "I failed them" (they slept everyday in class and did no work). Their consequence? The office reviewed the rules with them and explained what appropriate behavior is. You think that kid learned any lesson whatsoever? They'll push him through regardless. PS: he's 16, old enough to know better.

Sounds like your school sucks.
Unfortunately, as I am told, school administration hands are tied either by districts or states. Can't suspend, can't expell.

I think the problem is the results that the schools are getting. I think most people would be willing to pay teachers more-if students performed better.

I personally have no problem throwing money at teachers-but not blindly. I think our education system needs to be revamped. A good compromise is to pay teachers more, but get rid of tenure. Getting rid of tenure will naturally make is so that the best teachers are in the classrooms (or at least the worst teachers are out), and by raising salaries you add more incentive to potential teachers.

I don't think education is something that can be fixed just by paying more money-but I also don't think GOOD teachers get paid enough-bad teachers are overpaid and should be fired.

If our teachers are so good....why are the students in this country lagging so far behind the rest of the world?

Students have been coddled. They're push through, give a million "2nd" chances, undisciplined, etc. I had a student tell me to "fuck off" last week...because "I failed them" (they slept everyday in class and did no work). Their consequence? The office reviewed the rules with them and explained what appropriate behavior is. You think that kid learned any lesson whatsoever? They'll push him through regardless. PS: he's 16, old enough to know better.

Sounds like your school sucks.
Unfortunately, as I am told, school administration hands are tied either by districts or states. Can't suspend, can't expell.

Not true.

Get rid of the top heavy bureaucracy that plagues education and there will be plenty of money to give teachers a raise

Get rid of the top heavy bureaucracy that plagues education and there will be plenty of money to give teachers a raise
School administration cost varies tremendously from state to state and even district to district. The problem of high administration cost can be solved but at a price.

For example, one of the major reasons districts have high administration costs are small neighborhood schools. Districts that have got away from neighborhood schools have lower operations cost, less administrators and lower overhead. The price is longer transportation time for students, less local control of schools by parents. Anytime a district wants to close a small costly neighborhood school, they are in for a big fight with parents.

Another problem is how we manage schools. Our laws require, federal, state, district, and school level administration. There is a lot of overlap as well as a lot of reporting requirements between management levels.

Lastly, many services performed at the school level could be done more efficiently at the district level. Many services provided to schools by small districts could be combined into regional service centers. The problem is no one wants to loose control.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back