Pay It Forwards

• Banned
I think the best one I ever did...and that I even connected to a "pay it forward" without a clue that's what it was is when.................(mini novella coming up)...........

I was resident manager of a swanky hoity toity apartment (condo rentals) complex that housed lawyers, doctors, nurses, richie people. I hated it. But I digress. Gated community, on 5 acres, live on site assistant managers, rental agent, maintenance crews, racket ball courts, tennis courts, billard room, huge office that was mine with my name on the door. Very posh. Very boring and droll for me. Not my style. Yet, there I was. Miss Thang.
Assistant managers gave notice so they could go off to manage another place AS managers, not assistants. So I had my secretary place an ad in the local paper. Assistant Managers wanted. Got a lot of apps, but hadn't chosen anyone yet.

Backtrack about many years. I was barely surviving. Worked at a joint similar to a 7-11. My paycheck went straight to my landlord for the dump I was trying to keep over my head. The landlord had a manager who didn't live there, but lived in a swanky apartment complex and drove a yellow vet and every time I hitched a ride after payday to sign over my check (which was always short of the whole rent due), he took it gingerly, expressed sorrow and said I would probably be evicted if I couldn't catch up soon. I said I knew. Neighbors fed me cuz I had no money left over to eat. At work, I could grab a sandwich out of the deli case and the owner didn't mind. I walked to work because I didn't own a car. My son lived with his grandparents because I couldn't feed him..or me. I had no power in the dump. I used candles to read at night from books I borrowed from neighbors. The next week, the eviction notice was put on my door along with a personal note attached with a 20 dollar bill in it..from the guy I gave my paycheck to. The note said he was so sorry, and he couldn't give me more but 20 bucks might buy me a ticket back home to family. I had no family, so I moved in with a bunch of bikers I met that used to come in to get kegs of beer and get sandwiches from the deli case. I told one of them I didn't know what to do cuz I was going to be homeless soon but at least I had the job. He said he lived next door to where I worked and I could come there and stay. So I did.

Fast forward again:
I'm sitting at my desk just looking out at the pristine grounds I was in charge of, with gardeners planting daisies and whatnot and here comes this beat up yellow vet. Pulls in the guest parking space and I recognize him immediately. He hadn't changed much except he was a bit bigger with a pot belly. He came in with a woman on his arm. When he entered, I invited him to sit and I went thru all the motions, and he did not recognize me at all. I was very different. After all, I'm sitting there in a biz suit, all hoity toity with my hair up in a bun, clean, sitting behind a huge desk and being all profesh. He told me he was unemployed, looking for work, was experienced and boy did he need the job. His wife was demur, said she could help but was not experienced but a fast learner. I leaned back in my chair and said "you don't remember me, do you?" and he had this perplexed look on his face. I told him I didn't blame him. He probably had many tenants at one time collecting rent for an owner of a dump but I was willing to bet I was the only one that received such kindness and got a 20 dollar bill to get me home after my eviction.
The look on his face changed from surprise, to rememberance, to joy, to concern...all in just a few seconds. I stood up and said "you're hired. Your apartment will be furnished with whatever you want that is in the model unit storage area. Help yourself to whatever you like. Pay is VERY good and we will take turns on weekends off. When can you start?" and his eyes welled up with happiness. We had a damn good hug too.
Soon after that, I had enough of the hoity toity and quit. I recommended he take my place. Corporate agreed with my recommendation. I left happily, he took over happily.

Now..tell me about your pay it forward.:)

Pay It Forwards?

I thought about it once then remembered how the movie ended. It didn't seem very smart. The moral of the movie clearly suggests that if you do good you get stabbed in a parking lot.

:eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjkJDu0B-1U]YouTube - Pay It Forward - Calling All Angels[/ame]

• Banned
Poor kid. Ending sucked. But the concept was great.
What good deed have you done, Huggy? I know you have. Think. Anything come to mind you wanna share?
I didn't tell my story for kudos. I told it because it made me happy thinking about how I could pay that man back and the priceless gift of returning something within my power to give at that time.

• Banned
Besides, some threads get me maudlin so I countered it with something nice we can share about if anyone is so inclined. I'm libra ya know. Balance.

I once won a car with a raffle ticket for a fundraiser for multiple sclerosis.

I then donated the car.

I and my neighbors constantly try to out do each other by doing things for one another.

It was a brand new Toyota Rave 4 and about 15 years ago, I was able to hand a check over to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society for about 23,000, it felt great.

What good deed have you done, Huggy? I know you have. Think. Anything come to mind you wanna share?
I didn't tell my story for kudos. I told it because it made me happy thinking about how I could pay that man back and the priceless gift of returning something within my power to give at that time.

I prefer to have those around me believe I am a vicious vindictive mean spirited asshole absolutely vacant of compassion, pity or remorse.

That way when I do good it appears so much mo better.

Sure I do good. But giving to me requires releasing ownership of the gift so completely that you are free to enjoy the reception along with the recipient without fear of inflating ones ego thus poisoning the good.

You are the second person I've ever "met" that had the same birthday as me, Tank! 'Course the year is off, but...you're a young'un! Well slap my grizzled hide and call me toots!

Last edited:

I prefer to have those around me believe I am a vicious vindictive mean spirited asshole absolutely vacant of compassion, pity or remorse.

Sure I do good. But giving to me requires releasing ownership of the gift so completely that you are free to enjoy the reception along with the recipient without fear of inflating ones ego thus poisoning the good.

Um. Ok.

Um. Ok.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just sayin.....:eusa_whistle:

Don't believe everything ya see on the internets...:lol:

Or the movies...:lol:

Um. Ok.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just sayin.....:eusa_whistle:

Don't believe everything ya see on the internets...:lol:

Or the movies...:lol:

Does that mean that isn't you in your avie? Oh noes. Say it ain't so! I enjoy looking at yer mug.:tongue:

I like looking at Samson too.
I ain't dead yet, visualy.
Whew!

pain meds are kicking in. Can't spell. Off to bed.
Night night.

I seem to now be living by a code I call the conservation of joy.

I don't recomend it to anyone.

It appears to be unworkable.

Forum List

Back