Pawlenty's Economic plan

Sounds like something familiar

- Cut taxes
- Deregulate Wall St, Healthcare and all businesses
- Kill EPA
- Villify Government

Sounds like Bush

Good speech. I liked what he had to say.

The problem is that those running find a whole new ballgame if they actually get a chance at bat.

Pawlenty has loads of experience as a Gov. Sounds like he did a great job in his State.

He may have the best intentions in the world but the Question is can he actually follow through with his plans??

I love how in their attempts to balance the budget the Republicans insist on putting us in a deep hole first

- Cut business taxes from 35% to 15%
- Cut personal taxes from 35% to 25%
- Cut all Capital gains taxes

Oh...and by the way...I promise a balanced budget

Scary, in more ways than one

Tom Pawlenty gave a speech the other day outlining what he would like to see in terms of money mgt., tax policy and general economic guidance etc.......

thoughts?

YouTube - ‪"A Better Deal" Governor Tim Pawlenty's Economic Policy Remarks‬‏

transcript

Text of Pawlenty’s Speech on His Economic Plan - Washington Wire - WSJ

After nine minutes I had heard more than enough. Basically, he wants to further reduce taxes at a time when we already have the lowest tax rates in 60 years. His argument that when we cut taxes in the 80's that it created a booming economy do not hold water at a time when taxes already are too low. His argument that cutting taxes further would increase tax revenues in the long term are also incorrect. We have seen this with the Bush tax cuts. While the Bush tax cuts did raise revenue during the housing bubble, once that bubble burst, revenues were reduced so much that it led us to the massive deficits we are now facing.

In 2000, the federal government had revenue of approximately $2 trillion on a GDP of $9.8 trillion. Last year, revenue was approximately $2.1 trillion on a GDP of $14.6 trillion. That is a massive loss in revenue. So his answer is to just do more of the same, which would only lead to even lower revenues. Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

The one thing that he did say that I completely agree with is that he believes we must raise the retirement age. I've been pushing that agenda for a long time now as it makes the most sense in trying to keep SS and Medicare solvent without dramatically increasing taxes on our younger taxpayers.

I love how in their attempts to balance the budget the Republicans insist on putting us in a deep hole first

Can you say $2.5 trillion yearly deficits?

Maybe if we just cut all taxes to zero, that would leave plenty of money to grow the economy. Then as the economy grew by leaps and bounds, that would increase revenue. Oh yea, 100% of zero is still zero.

I think the proposal includes elimination of most of the deductions people and businesses can take, thus making the stated tax rate much more related to the eventual actual tax rate.

I would take it a step further and change buisiness taxes from income to profits, simplifying the methods of figuring out how much a company owes.

Can't cut all this spending to balance the budget? Is that not an option?

What, you want to raise taxes? That will certainly help see more job creation. :cuckoo:

The libs are all scared of a conservative plan because it probably would work...so they nitpick at pieces of the plan, ignoring the overall strategy to increase growth to 5% which would solve most of the problems....as Palenty noted, BO sure as hell hasn't done squat....

President Obama has had three years to turn things around.

And all we have to show for it is 3.7 trillion dollars more debt. Nearly 2 million fewer jobs. A Congress that hasn’t passed a budget in more than 2 years. A health care takeover he pretends we can afford. And a fiscal crisis he pretends we can ignore.

We’ve tried President Obama’s way — and it has only made the economy worse. Other countries around the world have tried President Obama’s way —- and have met with ruinous results.

We have a choice. Just because we followed ancient Greece into democracy. Doesn’t mean we’re doomed to follow modern Greece into bankruptcy.

What, you want to raise taxes? That will certainly help see more job creation. :cuckoo:

Bingo

No, we can't cut $1.5 trillion from the budget, which is the approximate amount necessary to balance the budget. If a gun was put to our head, which it is right now, we could find a way to cut approximately half that amount. If we increased taxes to cover $500 to $600 billion in additional revenue on top of those cuts, we would still have a deficit of $100 to $200 trillion. We could live with that for now.

We have learned the hard way that tax cuts do not create jobs. They just keep the money and send the jobs overseas

Why put yourself into a $2.5 trillion hole before you even start to cut spending?

How bout we do this?
Lets cut spending first and then if the budget allows it, we will cut excess taxes

Last edited:
The libs are all scared of a conservative plan because it probably would work...so they nitpick at pieces of the plan, ignoring the overall strategy to increase growth to 5% which would solve most of the problems....as Palenty noted, BO sure as hell hasn't done squat....

And all we have to show for it is 3.7 trillion dollars more debt. Nearly 2 million fewer jobs. A Congress that hasn’t passed a budget in more than 2 years. A health care takeover he pretends we can afford. And a fiscal crisis he pretends we can ignore.

We’ve tried President Obama’s way — and it has only made the economy worse. Other countries around the world have tried President Obama’s way —- and have met with ruinous results.

We have a choice. Just because we followed ancient Greece into democracy. Doesn’t mean we’re doomed to follow modern Greece into bankruptcy.

And the 5% growth is going to come from where? We already reduced taxes to their lowest level in 60 years and it brought us 9% unemployment. That plan failed already. What you seem to ignore is the fact that business won't invest in itself when there is no demand for goods.

And the 5% growth is going to come from where? We already reduced taxes to their lowest level in 60 years and it brought us 9% unemployment. That plan failed already. What you seem to ignore is the fact that business won't invest in itself when there is no demand for goods.

no demand for goods....? and why is that....?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPngqDZpVcw]YouTube - ‪Cynthia McKinney Economic planks - Green Party Presidential candidate‬‏[/ame]

The Federal Tax rate is the lowest it's been since the 1950s. Yet, with a historic budget deficit and declining revenues, Pawlenty proposes cutting taxes even FURTHER?

Yeah, it's madness...and nonsense too. If you want to destroy the economy (and America along with it), implement a reckless plan like this. But first you have to believe that Pawlenty is serious.

All this is MEANT to do is boost Pawlenty's status with Tea Party members who don't really know a damn thing about economics or public policy.

What it will PROBABLY end up doing is create a more difficult environment for cutting spending and paying down the debt.

Forum List

Back