Pawlenty urges GOP to welcome outsiders

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
The Associated Press: Minn. Gov: GOP must welcome others, broaden base

Minn. Gov: GOP must welcome others, broaden base
By MICHAEL R. BLOOD (AP) – 2 hours ago
SAN DIEGO — Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty on Thursday urged fellow Republicans to welcome outsiders into the party ranks, not scorn them, as the GOP rebuilds from defeats that left the White House and Congress in Democratic hands.
The potential 2012 presidential candidate, addressing a meeting of the Republican National Committee, appealed to members to build bridges to independents and conservative-leaning Democrats that would win converts and, in turn, elections.
To move forward at a time when Republican numbers are shrinking in many states, the party should show "respect of those who don't agree with us," Pawlenty said. "Let's make sure that we welcome others who are not yet Republicans." <more>

No Mr. pawlenty what we have to do is differentiate ourselves from the idiots running things, articulate and explain exactly why our solutions will work and the base will grow all by itself. In the meantime embracing those who do not share our views and are in fact disinterested in them merely waters down our image and muddies our message.

We took control of Congress in the nineties not by aping the Dems but by putting before the American people a clear and concise set of reforms and ideas to improve everyone's lives. We lost that control almost entirely because we abandoned those ideals.

No Mr. pawlenty what we have to do is differentiate ourselves from the idiots running things, articulate and explain exactly why our solutions will work and the base will grow all by itself. In the meantime embracing those who do not share our views and are in fact disinterested in them merely waters down our image and muddies our message.

We took control of Congress in the nineties not by aping the Dems but by putting before the American people a clear and concise set of reforms and ideas to improve everyone's lives. We lost that control almost entirely because we abandoned those ideals.
I hope the GOP does exactly as you wish.

The Associated Press: Minn. Gov: GOP must welcome others, broaden base

Minn. Gov: GOP must welcome others, broaden base
By MICHAEL R. BLOOD (AP) – 2 hours ago
SAN DIEGO — Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty on Thursday urged fellow Republicans to welcome outsiders into the party ranks, not scorn them, as the GOP rebuilds from defeats that left the White House and Congress in Democratic hands.
The potential 2012 presidential candidate, addressing a meeting of the Republican National Committee, appealed to members to build bridges to independents and conservative-leaning Democrats that would win converts and, in turn, elections.
To move forward at a time when Republican numbers are shrinking in many states, the party should show "respect of those who don't agree with us," Pawlenty said. "Let's make sure that we welcome others who are not yet Republicans." <more>
Americans have never liked wafflers. They love waffles, but wafflers? Not so much.

If you cannot stand for something, you'll fall for anything. Being Progressive-light is no answer at all.

If the GOP won't come back to the Conservatives, then the conservatives should go elsewhere. See how far the GOP will get without the base.

i wish McCain had picked Pawlenty
at least then Palin would have still been Gov

i would NEVER vote for Pawlenty

sounds like pawlenty has hit the wall and is ready to switch parties, farewell fuck head dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out!

Pawlenty is a friggin' joke.

But the bigger joke is yet another lefty whack job, telling the party they don't want to win how to win.
I'm always amused by progressives who give advice to conservatives or the GOP on how to win elections.....

Think about it....

It's time for a third party movement, again.

This 2 party system sucks. If there were three viable parties, we would have to see some actual debate and cooperation in government. One set of demagogues couldn't ram ill conceived, unread bills and tax raises down our throats simply because they hold a majority over the other set of demagogues.

No no no no NO!

The Republican Party should stick to its guns and drive our anyone whose beliefs don't 100% agree with the party line.

They should remain a PARTY which demands completely fidelity to whatever the RNC says it takes to be a true Republican.

That way the party will become completely irrelevant to the political process in the next 20 years or so as the old White men that that party currently speaks for die off.

Pawlenty was the campaign chair for the squishy mealy-mouthed "moderate" that the know-it-all pundits say the republicans should run if they want to win, and he got his ass kicked.

Setting aside that they didn't follow through very well at all, both Reagan and the '94 repubs ran as unapologetic conservative types and did the ass kicking.

Last edited:
Pawlenty: Moving Left destroyed us in 06 and 08 so, I know! I've got a great idea! Let's move further Left!

Fuck Off, Tim. The grown ups have it covered this time.

No no no no NO!

The Republican Party should stick to its guns and drive our anyone whose beliefs don't 100% agree with the party line.

They should remain a PARTY which demands completely fidelity to whatever the RNC says it takes to be a true Republican.

That way the party will become completely irrelevant to the political process in the next 20 years or so as the old White men that that party currently speaks for die off.
Ed, its following the advice of guys like Pawlenty that brought the GOP to where it is now
how did that work out for them?

Ed and the political junk yard of dead ideas don't understand but they can't and won't.

If you lead people will follow if you waffle people we get up and find someone who will lead occasionally as with our current president the boy blunder and his faithful sidekick lose cannon they will discover that they are being lead some place they don't wish to go and there will for a short time be hell to pay.

The ones who are most down on Pawlenty on this thread aren't necessarily even Republicans: just the biggest turd chuckers on USMB.

That alone tells me something...

Pawlenty is correct.

Politics is about winning, not shrinking to purify yourself.

I want the GOP to do well in 2010, but the way they are going now, it is unlikely they will make many inroads.

Pawlenty is correct.

Politics is about winning, not shrinking to purify yourself.

I want the GOP to do well in 2010, but the way they are going now, it is unlikely they will make many inroads.
McCain was what Pawlenty says would win
what happened?

Forum List

Back