Pawlenty: If you can Google it, cut it

R

rdean

Pawlenty economic plan: I'll Google my way to cuts - Jun. 7, 2011

"We can start by applying what I call 'The Google Test.' If you can find a good or service on the Internet, then the federal government probably doesn't need to be doing it," Pawlenty said.

Interpreted broadly, the test could spell the end of federal involvement in the storage of nuclear waste, environmental clean-up efforts and disaster relief -- all services that a Google search reveals are offered by private sector firms.
"I guess it's an interesting strategy," said Craig Jennings, director of federal fiscal policy at OMB Watch, a budget watchdog group. "You could probably find private investigators, so let's get rid of the FBI, and there are labs that do food inspections, so let's eliminate federal food inspectors."

"It seems that Pawlenty's economic plan is falling right in line with other Republicans in the field," Jennings said. "Cut taxes, cut spending and then hope for unrealistic economic growth."

Tim Pawlenty’s failing Google Test - ComPost - The Washington Post

thingsongoogle.GIF

Do you realize what services are on the Internet?

Every service.

Yes, the test is probably supposed to be a modern-day update of Indianapolis Mayor Stephen Goldsmith’s “Yellow Pages test.” But it’s completely ridiculous.

Do you know what is in the phone book? A reasonable list of goods and services localized in a particular area.

Do you know what is on Google?

EVERYTHING ON THIS PLANET!

If you can Google, cut it
-------------------------------------------------------

GOV. PAWLENTY: In the scientific community, it seems like intelligent design is dismissed — not entirely, there are a lot of scientists who would make the case that it is appropriate to be taught and appropriate to be demonstrated, but in terms of the curriculum in the schools in Minnesota, we’ve taken the approach that that’s a local decision. I know Senator Palin — or Governor Palin — has said intelligent design is something that she thinks should be taught along with evolution in the schools, and I think that’s appropriate.

Out of the closet: Pawlenty endorses teaching creationism in schools | Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

The Republican Presidential Nominee is as well versed in "science" as he is in "technology". "A lot of scientists" only counts if 2% is considered "a lot".

Then there are the comments about "Google" and the US Government.

Where do right wingers get these people? Oh, that's right. Drum out those darn "educated elitists" and Pawlenty and Palin and others of that ilk are what's left.

"We can start by applying what I call 'The Google Test.' If you can find a good or service on the Internet, then the federal government probably doesn't need to be doing it," Pawlenty said.

Interpreted broadly, the test could spell the end of federal involvement in the storage of nuclear waste, environmental clean-up efforts and disaster relief -- all services that a Google search reveals are offered by private sector firms.
"I guess it's an interesting strategy," said Craig Jennings, director of federal fiscal policy at OMB Watch, a budget watchdog group. "You could probably find private investigators, so let's get rid of the FBI, and there are labs that do food inspections, so let's eliminate federal food inspectors."

"It seems that Pawlenty's economic plan is falling right in line with other Republicans in the field," Jennings said. "Cut taxes, cut spending and then hope for unrealistic economic growth."

thingsongoogle.GIF

Every service.

Yes, the test is probably supposed to be a modern-day update of Indianapolis Mayor Stephen Goldsmith’s “Yellow Pages test.” But it’s completely ridiculous.

Do you know what is in the phone book? A reasonable list of goods and services localized in a particular area.

GOV. PAWLENTY: In the scientific community, it seems like intelligent design is dismissed — not entirely, there are a lot of scientists who would make the case that it is appropriate to be taught and appropriate to be demonstrated, but in terms of the curriculum in the schools in Minnesota, we’ve taken the approach that that’s a local decision. I know Senator Palin — or Governor Palin — has said intelligent design is something that she thinks should be taught along with evolution in the schools, and I think that’s appropriate.

Out of the closet: Pawlenty endorses teaching creationism in schools | Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

The Republican Presidential Nominee is as well versed in "science" as he is in "technology". "A lot of scientists" only counts if 2% is considered "a lot".

Where do right wingers get these people? Oh, that's right. Drum out those darn "educated elitists" and Pawlenty and Palin and others of that ilk are what's left.
Pawlenty is a fucking fool, isn't he?

thingsongoogle.GIF

Every service.

Pawlenty is a fucking fool, isn't he?

I don't know if he's fucking.

Wasn’t T Paw supposed to be one of the ‘smart’ ones?

Excellent point. We did hear quite a bit of that in the past.

Then again in the spring of 2008, maybe even earlier, I recall hearing that one of the bright new up and coming stars of the Republican party was the governor from Alaska.

It's pretty sad that Republican presidential candidates think (perhaps correctly) that in order to win the GOP nomination, in order to get the heart and soul of the Republican party to even consider voting for you,

you got to let Jesus ride that dinosaur.

Does anyone really wonder why the republicans fail so often given power?

"Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

"Poor countries are poor not because they lack resources, but because they lack effective political institutions." Francis Fukuyama

"Americans may have elected a Republican president and Congress, but they are unlikely to go back to a world in which one illness can devastate their last years or one storm can destroy their lives. Because government is the one institution that allows us some control over our future, conservatism, which distrusts government so much, is best viewed as a natural counter to liberalism, which, if left unchecked, tends towards wasteful bureaucracy. Indeed, as the Bush administration fully proves, conservatism remains a force of opposition even when it purports to be a governance party. And so the best that can be hoped for is that American voters will do for conservatives what they are unable to do themselves: to vote them out of office." from link

Last edited:

"Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

"Poor countries are poor not because they lack resources, but because they lack effective political institutions." Francis Fukuyama

"Americans may have elected a Republican president and Congress, but they are unlikely to go back to a world in which one illness can devastate their last years or one storm can destroy their lives. Because government is the one institution that allows us some control over our future, conservatism, which distrusts government so much, is best viewed as a natural counter to liberalism, which, if left unchecked, tends towards wasteful bureaucracy. Indeed, as the Bush administration fully proves, conservatism remains a force of opposition even when it purports to be a governance party. And so the best that can be hoped for is that American voters will do for conservatives what they are unable to do themselves: to vote them out of office." from link

Which is what will happen to us if Republicans are allowed to destroy our government.

You mean like how Zero has failed?

The government may provide some services, but private enterprise can do them better.

Now, I know the thought of being independent and taking care of yourself terrifies you Liberals, but the more you do it, the easier it gets.

This kind of 'privatizing' is idiotic. I really don't understand what they think they're doing. Even as government moves to take over more and more services it shouldn't be involved in, we're privatizing things that should be under exclusive and direct control of government (prisons and essential military support, as just a couple of examples).

I don't know if people like Pawlenty are just going for cute soundbites, or if they really see things so simplistically. The issue of limited government isn't about the size, or even necessarily the scope, of government. It's about keeping government clearly focused on the things it should be concerned with, and leaving us free to live our lives otherwise.

The government may provide some services, but private enterprise can do them better.

Now, I know the thought of being independent and taking care of yourself terrifies you Liberals, but the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Precisely

Precisely

It's the liberals who are taking care of conservatives. Conservatives just haven't figured it out yet. It's why they say things like, "Keep government out of Medicare". Because they have swallowed Republican swill and now they don't know fact from fantasy.

Precisely

It's the liberals who are taking care of conservatives. Conservatives just haven't figured it out yet. It's why they say things like, "Keep government out of Medicare". Because they have swallowed Republican swill and now they don't know fact from fantasy.

Wow, it's come to the point where the left is getting completely delusional. To say that this administration's policies and actions they have taken is not failing this country is delusional.

The media is reporting that economic indicators are suggesting that we are plummeting beyond 2008 circumstances, and you believe the left is winning. 24% of Americans align themselves to Obama politically.

Come on lefties, do we have to go through a Soros inventory every time a republican opens his mouth? You know what he meant. Why make a federal case out of it?

Forum List

Back