Paulson: 'I Believe We're Going to Get a Bill That Works'

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
I'm sorry, I just don't want to give this guy 700 billion dollars.

To quote Mike Pence:
"The truth is, every time somebody tells you that you've got to do the deal right now, it usually means they're going to get the better part of the deal."

Henry Paulson is a very confident guy. Sitting in his office Wednesday morning before heading up for a second day of grilling in front of skeptical members of Congress, the Treasury Secretary seemed certain he'd get the massive new powers and huge sums of money he's asking for, despite the feverish horsetrading and recriminations still unfolding on the Hill. "I believe we're going to get a bill that works and a clean bill," he told TIME. "It certainly won't be exactly what we asked for, it never is, but it's got to be sufficient to let us do the job." And Paulson thinks he'll get it soon. "We're right in the period where the sausage is being made," he says, but "I clearly believe we're going to get it done this week. We need to get it done this week."

Paulson: 'I Believe We're Going to Get a Bill That Works' - TIME

To quote Mike Pence:
"The truth is, every time somebody tells you that you've got to do the deal right now, it usually means they're going to get the better part of the deal."

That's part of what's bothering me, too. I know we have to do something to stop the freefall... but, frankly, when Bush tells me that we need to act "fast"... and Paulson says "we will talk about these issues later"... it makes me go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice............... won't get fooled again. :eusa_whistle:

That's part of what's bothering me, too. I know we have to do something to stop the freefall... but, frankly, when Bush tells me that we need to act "fast"... and Paulson says "we will talk about these issues later"... it makes me go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice............... won't get fooled again. :eusa_whistle:

Holy shit we agree on something?:confused:

To quote Mike Pence:

Agreed. I don't want the quick fix bandaids as we've had in the past that have led to this. Congress needs to sit down and weigh the pro's and con's and come up with a viable solution that will ensure the survival of our economy.

A couple of us way back when oil first shot up this past time stated that anyone living close to the red was now (then) in the red and living off credit cards. Been about 6 months. This is the result. Their credit is tapped and they can't pay.

Now if a dumb jarhead can figure than out, how come these people we put in office to keep this shit from happening can't?

I think it's about time they earned their damned pay.

don't have a heart attack, but,, I agree with you.

Agreed. I don't want the quick fix bandaids as we've had in the past that have led to this. Congress needs to sit down and weigh the pro's and con's and come up with a viable solution that will ensure the survival of our economy.

A couple of us way back when oil first shot up this past time stated that anyone living close to the red was now (then) in the red and living off credit cards. Been about 6 months. This is the result. Their credit is tapped and they can't pay.

Now if a dumb jarhead can figure than out, how come these people we put in office to keep this shit from happening can't?

I think it's about time they earned their damned pay.

I think the awful truth is they all got rich off our stupidity.. yep. they go in ordinary men and they all come out millionaires. No other explanation.

To quote Mike Pence:

I am totally with you on this one.

Certainly the way they want to structure this deal is not in the best interests of the American people.

If we take these banks bad paper we should OWN those banks.

Simply as that.

Certainly the way they want to structure this deal is not in the best interests of the American people.

Simply as that.

Exactly.

Simply as that.

:clap2:

Another informative article:

Plan's Basic Mystery: What's All This Stuff Worth?
What would you pay, sight unseen, for a house that nobody wants, on a hard-luck street where no houses are selling?

That question is easy compared to the one confronting the Treasury Department as Washington works toward a vast bailout of financial institutions. Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr. is proposing to spend up to $700 billion to buy troubled investments that even Wall Street is struggling to put a price on.

A big concern in Washington — and among many ordinary Americans — is that the difficulty in valuing these assets could result in the government's buying them for more than they will ever be worth, a step that would benefit financial institutions at taxpayers' expense.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bu...'s-Basic-Mystery-What-Is-All-This-Stuff-Worth

A big challenge for Treasury officials will be deciding whether to buy the troubled investments near the values at which the banks hold them on their books. That would help minimize losses for financial institutions. Driving a hard bargain, however, would protect taxpayers.

"Many are tempted by a strategy of trying to do both things at once," said Lawrence H. Summers, a former Treasury secretary in the Clinton administration. As a hypothetical example, Mr. Summers suggested that an institution could have securities on its books at $60, but the current market price might only be $30. In that case, the government might be tempted to come in at about $55.

House Speaker Pelosi reassures market on rescue plan
By Greg Robb
Last update: 11:16 a.m. EDT Sept. 25, 2008

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said Thursday that financial markets can rest assured that Congress will act on the White House plan to buy up to $700 billion in toxic debt. Pelosi said the exact timing of the House vote would depend on the outcome of closed-door meetings currently underway on Capitol Hill. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi reassured financial markets that a rescue plan would come to the House floor soon. "Please be assured that we will have a package that will speak to the issue in a very substantial way to send a message to the markets of our seriousness,"

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/house-speaker-pelosi-reassures-market/story.aspx?guid={512C71B7-AF89-47B9-8EC1-1D2755C29289}&dist=msr_1

Let’s Bail

Good day American taxpayer, complments of the season to YOu. Please allow me to introduce myself I am Mr. Henry PAULSON very high official of United States Treasury of United States, Washington, USA. I please to be writing you this day because someone of our mutual acquaintance Mr. BERNANKE vouch for you as trustworthy and gullible individual of high moral standards.

Through no fault of my own I am come to hard straits and although I am a proud man and father, I must beseech your partnership in resolution, an urgent and vexing matter. Through malfeasance and rascality, certain individuals of my close acquaintance have sabotage national banking system, hence an imminent disaster will befall if I am unable to secure the amount of $700,000,000,000 DOLLARS U.S with all utmost haste. This amount is currently being held by millions of fellow Americans but thus far these scoundrels refuse to release the money to me on grounds of that it is not mine infact.

Therefore I must, find a partner who can assist in the collection of this funds with, advance fee of $179.99 DOLLARS U.S a nominal amount I am sure you will agree. In return for you cooperation I am authorized to release as a token of my good faith to you one iRobot Scooba Floor Washing Robot, can thoroughly clean a floor with FOUR (4) cleaning stages, prep,wash,scrub,dry, and include one bottle of 8 OZ. (8 ounce) Scooba Juice cleaning fluid. This robots can follow walls and crisscroos rooms without need of human agency. Not to be use on carpet, laminate, stone of course I am sure you understand. for such price you would not expect to buy such Scooba but I, can assure you.

After funds of $700,000,000,000 DOLLARS U.S I will forward informations regarding fully protection of all funds, liabilities, equities and other such financial aspects. For now I must ask you to simply place your trust in me as you would a brother, for, are we, all not brothers?

I pray, that this message find it in your heart, to enter in partnership with me in interest of forestalling disastrous circumstance. Should you prefer not to assist me, with funds, I shall direct my I.R.S agents to procure the funds anyway from you, this voluntarily way is more amenable and you will atleast get a SCOOBA mop robot out of the deal, as fate wills it.

Your friend everlasting,

Mr. Herny PAULSON
United STATES Treasure

- as seen on a popular shopping site.
:badgrin:

Forum List

Back