Paul Shirley - Pissed About Haiti

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
The man is upset that helping Haiti will lead to a them wasting the effort. Remember Haiti was the 2nd western hemisphere colony to receive independence, yet they have always been the poorest and least developed. They never take steps forward.

Haiti does have an opportunity to start over and rebuild in a better image with mass amounts of foreign aid, specifically US aid.

Is Paul right to be mad that Haiti will indeed squander that aid or is he an arrogant American?

I personally think he speaks a lot of truths!

Former NBAer criticizes Haitian relief efforts - NBA News - FOX Sports on MSN
The former NBA player posted a long column online in response to the earthquake disaster in Haiti in which he criticized Haitian citizens and said he won't donate to relief efforts.

"I haven’t donated to the Haitian relief effort for the same reason that I don't give money to homeless men on the street," he wrote. "Based on past experiences, I don't think the guy with the sign that reads 'Need You're Help' is going to do anything constructive with the dollar I might give him. If I use history as my guide, I don't think the people of Haiti will do much with my money either."

And he didn't stop there, even writing a letter to the people of Haiti.

"Dear Haitians," he wrote, "First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.

"As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it’s possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?"

It isnt about squandoring the aid. The fact is the Aid is destroying all incentive for them to fix the problem. The agricultural sector has been completely undermined because free food keeps flooding hte country causing food production to be unprofitable.

He's got a point, as direct as he is with his language. Simply giving someone money for nothing only perpetuates more of the same.

It isnt about squandoring the aid. The fact is the Aid is destroying all incentive for them to fix the problem. The agricultural sector has been completely undermined because free food keeps flooding hte country causing food production to be unprofitable.

So right. Add to that the fact that we have pumped billions into Haiti since the 90's and no one seems to know where the money went. Sure didn't get to the people.

The past Govts have been corrupt. Don't know about this one. Sure is one poor place considering all the money thats been dumped in there over the years..

I never heard of the guy, so I don't know if he's arrogant. I don't think his statement is arrogant, but just the cold, harsh truth. I'm sure he's prepared for the onslaught of being labeled a racist.

I never heard of the guy, so I don't know if he's arrogant. I don't think his statement is arrogant, but just the cold, harsh truth. I'm sure he's prepared for the onslaught of being labeled a racist.
He's a former b-ball play for my alma-mater: Iowa state. He was an end-of-the-bencher in the NBA for a few years, but he's always had hilarious columns on his own blog, and then later with ESPN as a freelancer. Of course, ESPN just dumped his column because of this.

I wonder if the lack of resources also contributes to their inability to develop.

OH never mind me!! I am just one random poster passing through.

I wonder if the lack of resources also contributes to their inability to develop.

no,, you have a point, which resources are they lacking? are you talking about natural resources? I've read that the country has been completely deforrested.

no,, you have a point, which resources are they lacking? are you talking about natural resources? I've read that the country has been completely deforrested.

I was talking about natural resources and exploitive skills.

On the other hand, I heard a rumor that Haiti maybe sitting on one of the world's largest suppy of natural gas. But that was just this past week and I have yet to check that one out.

US policies had a large hand in breaking and keeping Haiti down. We did to them exactly what we did in Chile, Argentina and Iraq (among various other places). We backed the overthrow of democratically and popularly elected leaders and inserted ruthless dictators and looked the other way while they tortured so long as they kept our "interests" in the fore-front. Reagan was the worst.

Where do you think their resources went? Can you say exploitation by the US, British and French, boys and girls?

US-Haiti, by Noam Chomsky

US policies had a large hand in breaking and keeping Haiti down. We did to them exactly what we did in Chile, Argentina and Iraq (among various other places). We backed the overthrow of democratically and popularly elected leaders and inserted ruthless dictators and looked the other way while they tortured so long as they kept our "interests" in the fore-front. Reagan was the worst.

Where do you think their resources went? Can you say exploitation by the US, British and French, boys and girls?

US-Haiti, by Noam Chomsky

So? Obama plans on keeping the Doctrine does he? Clinton did it too. So your attack on Reagan is Moot.

So? Obama plans on keeping the Doctrine does he? Clinton did it too. So your attack on Reagan is Moot.

I didn't attack Reagan. I just said his policies so far were the worst so far as damage to Haiti goes. I'm re-reading this book right now. I had forgotten that it had a chapter on Haiti.

I hope Obama does NOT keep the Bush doctrine, as it is criminal and immoral.

The man is upset that helping Haiti will lead to a them wasting the effort. Remember Haiti was the 2nd western hemisphere colony to receive independence, yet they have always been the poorest and least developed. They never take steps forward.

Haiti does have an opportunity to start over and rebuild in a better image with mass amounts of foreign aid, specifically US aid.

Is Paul right to be mad that Haiti will indeed squander that aid or is he an arrogant American?

I personally think he speaks a lot of truths!

Former NBAer criticizes Haitian relief efforts - NBA News - FOX Sports on MSN
The former NBA player posted a long column online in response to the earthquake disaster in Haiti in which he criticized Haitian citizens and said he won't donate to relief efforts.

"I haven’t donated to the Haitian relief effort for the same reason that I don't give money to homeless men on the street," he wrote. "Based on past experiences, I don't think the guy with the sign that reads 'Need You're Help' is going to do anything constructive with the dollar I might give him. If I use history as my guide, I don't think the people of Haiti will do much with my money either."

And he didn't stop there, even writing a letter to the people of Haiti.

"Dear Haitians," he wrote, "First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.

"As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it’s possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?"

Problem is? Since their release from the grips of French Influence? Nothing has really been done to foster them into any kind of productivity.

They have essentially been WARDS of whatever STATE that cares to carry them. it's a sad precident, and a telling one, and a MODEL that needs to be avoided.

I didn't attack Reagan. I just said his policies so far were the worst so far as damage to Haiti goes. I'm re-reading this book right now. I had forgotten that it had a chapter on Haiti.

I hope Obama does NOT keep the Bush doctrine, as it is criminal and immoral.

And so is the Obama Book that HE keeps rewriting. So try again.

Shirley you are not serious...

By all means let them die...they didn't earn our help

And don 't call me Shirley

airplane.jpg

Last edited:
It isnt about letting them die, it's about trying to figure out if what we are doing is actually helping them.

What is the point of giving aid if it never gets to the people due to corruption? What's the point of giving aid if it cripples any chance for them to develop their economy by undervaluing their prices?

Does giving aid at some point destroy a persons incentive to work? Can you give so much aid that the effects are detrimental? I think you can. The question is at what point?

It isnt about letting them die, it's about trying to figure out if what we are doing is actually helping them.

What is the point of giving aid if it never gets to the people due to corruption? What's the point of giving aid if it cripples any chance for them to develop their economy by undervaluing their prices?

Does giving aid at some point destroy a persons incentive to work? Can you give so much aid that the effects are detrimental? I think you can. The question is at what point?

Someone that GETS IT. While giving them AID? You give them ADVICE to improve their LOT in life, so these types of things are FEWER, and they will be Self-Sufficient.

Forum List

Back