Paul Ryan's Response to Obama's Speech Yesterday

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dont Taz Me Bro, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    "Exploiting people's emotions of fear, envy, and anxiety is not hope, is not change, it is partisanship." You can tell in the video Ryan is truly pissed off and downright offended by Obama's antics.

All Republicans need to follow Ryan's lead and act that way - downright offended. Republicans on the Hill need to take justified offense at what the Democrats are claiming Republicans want to do. It's disingenuous and downright disgusting. This isn't about taking health care away from anyone, it's about fixing these programs now so that they don't swallow our debt in the future. As Ryan says, it's about saving these programs so that they can be maintained. Delaying action with rhetoric about killing Grandma and hating children is not a solution.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-cyIlM8ZwE]YouTube - Paul Ryan Expresses Disappointment At President's Irresponsible Lack of Leadership[/ame]​

• Thank You! Thank You! x 6
  2. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    Who needs to act???

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. kiwiman127

kiwiman127 Comfortably Moderate Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    4th Cleanest City in the World-Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +3,860
    Yeah Ryan is a real gem.
    All he's doing with his plan is taking programs that help the poor and elderly and cutting them and at the same time giving the savings to the wealthy and powerful.
    In other words, the continuation of class warfare and the continuation of the growth of the wealth gap. He is Robin Hood to the monetary elite.
    Plutocracy in action.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  4. ba1614

ba1614 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dont Taz Me Bro again."

I couldn't agree more. :clap2:

5. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    His speech was just more Community Organizer Class Warfare stuff. I don't see how anyone could have taken him seriously. Pitting American against American is what Community Organizers do. Paul Ryan is proving to be much more of a leader than this President is. 2012 can't get here fast enough as far as i'm concerned.

6. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,866
    There is a large consensus that Obama's speech was one of the most dishonest and disingenuous given by a sitting President who was supposed to be speaking about policy, not partisan electioneering.

The WSJ has a good analysis:

The immediate political goal was to inoculate the White House from criticism that it is not serious about the fiscal crisis, after ignoring its own deficit commission last year and tossing off a $3.73 trillion budget in February that increased spending amid a record deficit of $1.65 trillion. Mr. Obama was chased to George Washington University yesterday because Mr. Ryan and the Republicans outflanked him on fiscal discipline and are now setting the national political agenda.

Mr. Obama did not deign to propose an alternative to rival Mr. Ryan's plan, even as he categorically rejected all its reform ideas, repeatedly vilifying them as essentially un-American. "Their vision is less about reducing the deficit than it is about changing the basic social compact in America," he said, supposedly pitting "children with autism or Down's syndrome" against "every millionaire and billionaire in our society." The President was not attempting to join the debate Mr. Ryan has started, but to close it off just as it begins and banish House GOP ideas to political Siberia.

Mr. Obama then packaged his poison in the rhetoric of bipartisanship—which "starts," he said, "by being honest about what's causing our deficit." The speech he chose to deliver was dishonest even by modern political standards.

(snip)

Fifteen members will serve on the Independent Payment Advisory Board, all appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. If per capita costs grow by more than GDP plus 0.5%, this board would get more power, including an automatic budget sequester to enforce its rulings. So 15 sages sitting in a room with the power of the purse will evidently find ways to control Medicare spending that no one has ever thought of before and that supposedly won't harm seniors' care, even as the largest cohort of the baby boom generation retires and starts to collect benefits.

(snip)

Mr. Obama rallied the left with a summons for major tax increases on "the rich." Every U.S. fiscal trouble, he claimed, flows from the Bush tax cuts "for the wealthiest 2%," conveniently passing over what he euphemistically called his own "series of emergency steps that saved millions of jobs." Apparently he means the $814 billion stimulus that failed and a new multitrillion-dollar entitlement in ObamaCare that harmed job creation.

Under the Obama tax plan, the Bush rates would be repealed for the top brackets. Yet the "cost" of extending all the Bush rates in 2011 over 10 years was about $3.7 trillion. Some $3 trillion of that was for everything but the top brackets—and Mr. Obama says he wants to extend those rates forever. According to Internal Revenue Service data, the entire taxable income of everyone earning over $100,000 in 2008 was about $1.582 trillion. Even if all these Americans—most of whom are far from wealthy—were taxed at 100%, it wouldn't cover Mr. Obama's deficit for this year.

Review & Outlook: The Presidential Divider - WSJ.com

7. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    Actually, I find him very reasonable as opposed to Obama's story telling. What part of Monetary Crisis are you failing to grasp?

8. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    What is your solution?

9. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,784

The Reps need to take umbrage every time the Dems come out with their BS and thow it right back in their faces. Killing grandma and the kids?? Jeese what a load of horseshit.

I think Ryans plan will save these programs but I don't think the Dem controlled Senate is gonna go with it.

The Dems seem to worry about only one section of the population. That being the 40% who produce nothing and pay for nothing.It seems everyone else is here to provide the revenue to take care of the freeloaders.

10. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    If they do, they'll come across as whiny little spineless goops. Meaning they'll be employing a Democrat strategy.

Republicans have for years intentionally misconstrued, hyperbolized (word?), and mis-labelled Dems with a level of zeal and cohesion usually reserved for religious fanatics in the 11th century. They've got no room or moral ground to whine about partisanship. I don't want to hear it.

I think they need to do just the opposite from what you're suggesting. Stay away from the pampers, keep the big boy pants on, and stitch up the boxing gloves. If they whimper and mew about how mean that big bad Obama bully is, I'm just going to laugh at how pathetic they are.