Paul Ryan's Response to Obama's Speech Yesterday

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
"Exploiting people's emotions of fear, envy, and anxiety is not hope, is not change, it is partisanship." You can tell in the video Ryan is truly pissed off and downright offended by Obama's antics.

All Republicans need to follow Ryan's lead and act that way - downright offended. Republicans on the Hill need to take justified offense at what the Democrats are claiming Republicans want to do. It's disingenuous and downright disgusting. This isn't about taking health care away from anyone, it's about fixing these programs now so that they don't swallow our debt in the future. As Ryan says, it's about saving these programs so that they can be maintained. Delaying action with rhetoric about killing Grandma and hating children is not a solution.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-cyIlM8ZwE]YouTube - Paul Ryan Expresses Disappointment At President's Irresponsible Lack of Leadership[/ame]​

Yeah Ryan is a real gem.
All he's doing with his plan is taking programs that help the poor and elderly and cutting them and at the same time giving the savings to the wealthy and powerful.
In other words, the continuation of class warfare and the continuation of the growth of the wealth gap. He is Robin Hood to the monetary elite.
Plutocracy in action.

Last edited:
His speech was just more Community Organizer Class Warfare stuff. I don't see how anyone could have taken him seriously. Pitting American against American is what Community Organizers do. Paul Ryan is proving to be much more of a leader than this President is. 2012 can't get here fast enough as far as i'm concerned.

There is a large consensus that Obama's speech was one of the most dishonest and disingenuous given by a sitting President who was supposed to be speaking about policy, not partisan electioneering.

The WSJ has a good analysis:

The immediate political goal was to inoculate the White House from criticism that it is not serious about the fiscal crisis, after ignoring its own deficit commission last year and tossing off a $3.73 trillion budget in February that increased spending amid a record deficit of $1.65 trillion. Mr. Obama was chased to George Washington University yesterday because Mr. Ryan and the Republicans outflanked him on fiscal discipline and are now setting the national political agenda.

Mr. Obama did not deign to propose an alternative to rival Mr. Ryan's plan, even as he categorically rejected all its reform ideas, repeatedly vilifying them as essentially un-American. "Their vision is less about reducing the deficit than it is about changing the basic social compact in America," he said, supposedly pitting "children with autism or Down's syndrome" against "every millionaire and billionaire in our society." The President was not attempting to join the debate Mr. Ryan has started, but to close it off just as it begins and banish House GOP ideas to political Siberia.

Mr. Obama then packaged his poison in the rhetoric of bipartisanship—which "starts," he said, "by being honest about what's causing our deficit." The speech he chose to deliver was dishonest even by modern political standards.

(snip)

Fifteen members will serve on the Independent Payment Advisory Board, all appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. If per capita costs grow by more than GDP plus 0.5%, this board would get more power, including an automatic budget sequester to enforce its rulings. So 15 sages sitting in a room with the power of the purse will evidently find ways to control Medicare spending that no one has ever thought of before and that supposedly won't harm seniors' care, even as the largest cohort of the baby boom generation retires and starts to collect benefits.

(snip)

Mr. Obama rallied the left with a summons for major tax increases on "the rich." Every U.S. fiscal trouble, he claimed, flows from the Bush tax cuts "for the wealthiest 2%," conveniently passing over what he euphemistically called his own "series of emergency steps that saved millions of jobs." Apparently he means the $814 billion stimulus that failed and a new multitrillion-dollar entitlement in ObamaCare that harmed job creation.

Under the Obama tax plan, the Bush rates would be repealed for the top brackets. Yet the "cost" of extending all the Bush rates in 2011 over 10 years was about $3.7 trillion. Some $3 trillion of that was for everything but the top brackets—and Mr. Obama says he wants to extend those rates forever. According to Internal Revenue Service data, the entire taxable income of everyone earning over $100,000 in 2008 was about $1.582 trillion. Even if all these Americans—most of whom are far from wealthy—were taxed at 100%, it wouldn't cover Mr. Obama's deficit for this year.

Review & Outlook: The Presidential Divider - WSJ.com

Yeah Ryan is a real gem.
All he's doing with his plan is taking programs that help the poor and elderly and cutting them and at the same time giving the savings to the wealthy and powerful.
In other words, the continuation of class warfare and the continuation of the growth of the wealth gap. He is Robin Hood to the monetary elite.
Plutocracy in action.

Actually, I find him very reasonable as opposed to Obama's story telling. What part of Monetary Crisis are you failing to grasp?

Yeah Ryan is a real gem.
Plutocracy in action.

What is your solution?

"Exploiting people's emotions of fear, envy, and anxiety is not hope, is not change, it is partisanship." You can tell in the video Ryan is truly pissed off and downright offended by Obama's antics.

All Republicans need to follow Ryan's lead and act that way - downright offended. Republicans on the Hill need to take justified offense at what the Democrats are claiming Republicans want to do. It's disingenuous and downright disgusting. This isn't about taking health care away from anyone, it's about fixing these programs now so that they don't swallow our debt in the future. As Ryan says, it's about saving these programs so that they can be maintained. Delaying action with rhetoric about killing Grandma and hating children is not a solution.

The Reps need to take umbrage every time the Dems come out with their BS and thow it right back in their faces. Killing grandma and the kids?? Jeese what a load of horseshit.

I think Ryans plan will save these programs but I don't think the Dem controlled Senate is gonna go with it.

The Dems seem to worry about only one section of the population. That being the 40% who produce nothing and pay for nothing.It seems everyone else is here to provide the revenue to take care of the freeloaders.

All Republicans need to follow Ryan's lead and act that way - downright offended. Republicans on the Hill need to take justified offense at what the Democrats are claiming Republicans want to do. It's disingenuous and downright disgusting.

If they do, they'll come across as whiny little spineless goops. Meaning they'll be employing a Democrat strategy.

Republicans have for years intentionally misconstrued, hyperbolized (word?), and mis-labelled Dems with a level of zeal and cohesion usually reserved for religious fanatics in the 11th century. They've got no room or moral ground to whine about partisanship. I don't want to hear it.

I think they need to do just the opposite from what you're suggesting. Stay away from the pampers, keep the big boy pants on, and stitch up the boxing gloves. If they whimper and mew about how mean that big bad Obama bully is, I'm just going to laugh at how pathetic they are.

Yeah Ryan is a real gem.
Plutocracy in action.

So go ahead and follow your stupid community organizer into bankruptcy....medicaid and medicare are going broke doncha know?....at least Ryan's plan meets the challenge head-on with some realistic solutions.....BO just wants America to go broke...Marxism in action...

Yeah Ryan is a real gem.
Plutocracy in action.

What part about looming insolvency and a collapse of the dollar don't you understand?

He's talking out both sides of his face. Ryan's Budget was full of Partisanship, his speech presenting his budget was full of partisanship, and now he's scolding the President for Partisanship. How's that work?

Yeah Ryan is a real gem.
Plutocracy in action.

What is your solution?

I am glad Paul Ryan brought his proposal to the table, not because I like it or support it but because it is getting a real discussion started on what to do about Medicare. Medicare is by far our biggest long term problem as costs are projected to completely spiral out of control. Unlike SS, there are no simple fixes to this problem. There are many solutions to SS.

What I do not like about Ryan's plan is that it will end up leaving millions of lower income senior Americans without healthcare. If the federal government subsidizes a private policy for a someone who is retired and has no savings or any other form of income, how will they pay for their insurance policy? Realistically what will happen to those who cannot afford it? Will they be turned away from life saving treatment? If not, who will pay for it? Secondly, all Ryan is doing is moving the cost from the government to the individual. Nobody is going to pay less other than the government.

Personally, I think the answer is quite simple. We need to raise the retirement age at which people can begin collecting Medicare benefits. I feel the same about SS. We need to raise the age gradually to 70. These programs were never meant to cover people for 15 years. Since people are living much longer than when these programs were first put into place, it is only logical that the age to collect benefits must rise also. I believe Rand Paul has suggested an idea along these same lines, and it could work for both Medicare and Social Security. For those few who are truly disabled, they could be given exemptions so that they could begin collecting at an earlier age. For those who say it is not fair to make them work to the age of 70, they can retire whenever they want, but they would have to do it on their own dime.

Raising the retirement age would save massive amounts of money in the long run, and it would keep both Medicare and SS solvent indefinitely without the need for huge tax increases. And if set up properly, it would not effect those currently in retirement or close to retirement. It would also give those who are younger plenty of time to plan for the changes so that they can make the right choices for their own circumstances.

He's talking out both sides of his face. Ryan's Budget was full of Partisanship, his speech presenting his budget was full of partisanship, and now he's scolding the President for Partisanship. How's that work?

It doesn't get much more ironic than GOP talking heads whining about partisanship. :lol:

Yeah Ryan is a real gem.
Plutocracy in action.

What is your solution?

I'd give the tax cuts to the middle class. When the middle class gets tax cuts they spend, when the wealthy get tax cuts they save.
Over two thirds of our economy is driven by consumer spending, in other words our economy is driven by the middle class. When our economy is humming tax receipts increase.
Also, as wealth has been increasing for the the top percentile, the working class has been losing wealth and has been living with flat wages for over thirty years.
I doubt very few who posts on these boards have in real terms seen their wealth grow. I would care to bet that most of those posting would not see their taxes go down under Ryan's plan.
So my solution is to give the middle class a tax cut and cut spending.
And then there's this:

How the rich pay no taxes

For the well-off, this could be the best tax day since the early 1930s: Top tax rates on ordinary income, dividends, estates, and gifts will remain at or near historically low levels for at least the next two years. That's thanks in part to legislation passed in December 2010 by the 111th Congress and signed by President Barack Obama.

"This is clearly far and away the most generous tax situation that's existed," says Gregory D. Singer, a national managing director of the wealth management group at AllianceBernstein (AB) in New York. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

For the 400 U.S. taxpayers with the highest adjusted gross income, the effective federal income tax rate -- what they actually pay -- fell from almost 30 percent in 1995 to just under 17 percent in 2007, according to the IRS. And for the approximately 1.4 million people who make up the top 1 percent of taxpayers, the effective federal income tax rate dropped from 29 percent to 23 percent in 2008. It may seem too fantastic to be true, but the top 400 end up paying a lower rate than the next 1,399,600 or so.

How the rich pay no taxes- MSN Money

Tell me again why the wealthy should get that tax break?

Yeah Ryan is a real gem.
Plutocracy in action.

So go ahead and follow your stupid community organizer into bankruptcy....medicaid and medicare are going broke doncha know?....at least Ryan's plan meets the challenge head-on with some realistic solutions.....BO just wants America to go broke...Marxism in action...

I don't have much good to say about Obama's rather vague plan. In my opinion Obama is clueless and doesn't know what he's doing.
On the other hand Ryan knows exactly what he's doing and it's not good for 90% of Americans as he is simply rewarding the top 10% as the rest of the US population sacrifices. If we're going to sacrifice as a nation to lower the deficit, everyone should sacrifice.

What is your solution?
when the wealthy get tax cuts they save.

According to who?

Over two thirds of our economy is driven by consumer spending, in other words our economy is driven by the middle class. When our economy is humming tax receipts increase.

Also, as wealth has been increasing for the the top percentile, the working class has been losing wealth and has been living with flat wages for over thirty years.
I doubt very few who posts on these boards have in real terms seen their wealth grow. I would care to bet that most of those posting would not see their taxes go down under Ryan's plan.

And then there's this:

For the well-off, this could be the best tax day since the early 1930s: Top tax rates on ordinary income, dividends, estates, and gifts will remain at or near historically low levels for at least the next two years. That's thanks in part to legislation passed in December 2010 by the 111th Congress and signed by President Barack Obama.

"This is clearly far and away the most generous tax situation that's existed," says Gregory D. Singer, a national managing director of the wealth management group at AllianceBernstein (AB) in New York. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

For the 400 U.S. taxpayers with the highest adjusted gross income, the effective federal income tax rate -- what they actually pay -- fell from almost 30 percent in 1995 to just under 17 percent in 2007, according to the IRS. And for the approximately 1.4 million people who make up the top 1 percent of taxpayers, the effective federal income tax rate dropped from 29 percent to 23 percent in 2008. It may seem too fantastic to be true, but the top 400 end up paying a lower rate than the next 1,399,600 or so.

According to Internal Revenue Service data, the entire taxable income of everyone earning over $100,000 in 2008 was about $1.582 trillion. Even if all these Americans—most of whom are far from wealthy—were taxed at 100%, it wouldn't cover Mr. Obama's deficit for this year.

Now what?

What is your solution?
when the wealthy get tax cuts they save.

According to who?

And then there's this:

According to Internal Revenue Service data, the entire taxable income of everyone earning over $100,000 in 2008 was about $1.582 trillion. Even if all these Americans—most of whom are far from wealthy—were taxed at 100%, it wouldn't cover Mr. Obama's deficit for this year.

Now what?

We don't give cut the uber wealthy's taxes by half and eliminate Capital Gains/Dividend taxes and we cut spending.

Forum List

Back