Paul Ryan's Medicare Mastermind: The Plan Won't Work

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Henry Aaron, Inventor Of Paul Ryan's Medicare Reform Concept, Explains Why It's Wrong

By Michael McAuliff

WASHINGTON -- The co-creator of the concept that Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is relying upon to reform Medicare no longer thinks it will work. Henry Aaron, now of the Brookings Institution, got the chance to tell Ryan exactly why at a recent Capitol Hill hearing.

Aaron and former Urban Institute president Robert Reischauer came up with the idea of "premium support" in 1995, after the failure of then-First Lady Hillary Clinton's bid to reform the health care system.

The basic idea is simple: let people pick their health insurers in the private market, subsidize the premiums, and competition will drive down costs. That's the theory behind Ryan's plan, recently endorsed by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) in a white paper the two wrote.

It differs from Aaron's original vision -- in part because it has fewer protections for beneficiaries -- but the essential concept is the same. Aaron said this isn't the time to test it out.

"In the years since Bob Reischauer and I put this Idea forward, I've changed my mind," Aaron said at a hearing of the House Ways and Means Committee last week.

The big reason is that Aaron has seen no evidence since the two men came up with the idea that their assumptions have been borne out.

Aaron also has a major problem with the way Ryan's plan contains costs -- by mandating that Medicare inflation be capped at no more than the growth of the Gross Domestic Product, plus 0.5 percent or 1 percent. Health care costs have escalated much faster than that, so premium support plans capped at a little more than GDP growth would buy smaller and smaller benefits.

Aaron also argued that there's another problem with trying to ensure a premium support model works -- it requires stringent regulation to make sure companies don't game the system. Aaron said he can't see that happening with a Congress fired by anti-regulatory zeal.

"The regulatory climate has changed," Aaron said. "It is far more hostile to the kinds of regulatory intervention that Bob Reischauer and I thought were essential."

More: Henry Aaron, Inventor Of Paul Ryan's Medicare Reform Concept, Explains Why It's Wrong

rand-sosec-5.jpg

When the rightwing Catholic Bishops come out against a fellow republican, it must be really - Bad.

HuffyPuff...Rand strawman.....C'mon, go for the hat trick. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it has source links and videos for retards like you.
Link to this, retard.

Rand had money expropriated from her livelihood to pay into the OASI scam...She had every right to recoup that which was taken from her under threat of force.

Now take your leftloon opinion blogs and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.

HuffyPuff...Rand strawman.....C'mon, go for the hat trick. :rolleyes:

Link to this, retard.

Rand had money expropriated from her livelihood to pay into the OASI scam...She had every right to recoup that which was taken from her under threat of force.

Fuck you, you abusive prick!!!!! The avatars you choose are very indicative of your personality. You really like to bully and harass.

Link to this, retard.

Fuck you, you abusive prick!!!!! The avatars you choose are very indicative of your personality. You really like to bully and harass.

Well, if pointing out that your little poster was BS is abusive, I guess you are right.

Otherwise, I noticed you didn't address his point.

It is funny when you puff up and act all mean and tough. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Henry Aaron, Inventor Of Paul Ryan's Medicare Reform Concept, Explains Why It's Wrong

By Michael McAuliff

WASHINGTON -- The co-creator of the concept that Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is relying upon to reform Medicare no longer thinks it will work. Henry Aaron, now of the Brookings Institution, got the chance to tell Ryan exactly why at a recent Capitol Hill hearing.

Aaron and former Urban Institute president Robert Reischauer came up with the idea of "premium support" in 1995, after the failure of then-First Lady Hillary Clinton's bid to reform the health care system.

The basic idea is simple: let people pick their health insurers in the private market, subsidize the premiums, and competition will drive down costs. That's the theory behind Ryan's plan, recently endorsed by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) in a white paper the two wrote.

It differs from Aaron's original vision -- in part because it has fewer protections for beneficiaries -- but the essential concept is the same. Aaron said this isn't the time to test it out.

"In the years since Bob Reischauer and I put this Idea forward, I've changed my mind," Aaron said at a hearing of the House Ways and Means Committee last week.

The big reason is that Aaron has seen no evidence since the two men came up with the idea that their assumptions have been borne out.

Aaron also has a major problem with the way Ryan's plan contains costs -- by mandating that Medicare inflation be capped at no more than the growth of the Gross Domestic Product, plus 0.5 percent or 1 percent. Health care costs have escalated much faster than that, so premium support plans capped at a little more than GDP growth would buy smaller and smaller benefits.

Aaron also argued that there's another problem with trying to ensure a premium support model works -- it requires stringent regulation to make sure companies don't game the system. Aaron said he can't see that happening with a Congress fired by anti-regulatory zeal.

"The regulatory climate has changed," Aaron said. "It is far more hostile to the kinds of regulatory intervention that Bob Reischauer and I thought were essential."
More: Henry Aaron, Inventor Of Paul Ryan's Medicare Reform Concept, Explains Why It's Wrong

Can he explain why, before Obamacare, the cost of medical care was actually starting to level off if his plan won't work?

When the rightwing Catholic Bishops come out against a fellow republican, it must be really - Bad.

Just because they disagree with you about abortion does not make the Catholic Church right wing. In fact, if you check their history, you will see that Catholics generally are left wing, so far left that their have actually been Catholic priests who urged their flock to take up arms to support communism.

I don't watch Fakes Snooz, hackasaurus rex.

But if it was pointed out what a fake windbag I was, viz. the fact that Rand paid into OASI and deserved to recoup her losses, then I'd want to change the subject too. :lol::lol::lol:

No one ever said she didn't pay into OASI. It's just the hypocrisy of it all - including Paul Ryan.

Oh, the irony.

By Michael McAuliff

Can he explain why, before Obamacare, the cost of medical care was actually starting to level off if his plan won't work?

Maybe this will help you...

Henry Aaron: House Ways and Means Health Subcommittee Testimony, 27 April 2012

Forum List

Back