Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raise Taxes on the rich, they don't need that much wealth

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Start w/Ryan's Plan, then Cut Defense and Add-in the Clinton Era Tax Rates

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Other, I'll explain in my post

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
I cant trust the GOP, not after 8 years of Bush and the that mess.

My question is, with Obama 3 years in and things still looking up and down. What has the GOP done to be trusted or even considered legit? I would hope the American public will at least wonder the same.

I feel Paul budget is BS. I liked where the speaker was last week, his stance was something I could support. I think Paul's budget reminds me of Cheney and his false promises in Iraq. sorry....

Last edited:
Finally, a congressman with guts enough to post a possible solution to fix the budget mess.

House GOP budget: Where Ryan's proposals will bite - Apr. 5, 2011

Its not perfect, but there is room to negotiate, like cutting Defense and re-instating the Clinton era tax rates now to raise revenue.

Lets vote on it...

The GOP currently has plans to increase the Pentagon's budget by $6 billion and this is when the Pentagon is even ready for cuts.

While programs like Medicare has waste that need to be removed, not even touching the Defense budget is a joke that makes such a plan unable to take seriously.

One of his earlier plans was to lower the tax rate to 25%, meanwhile putting in an 8.5% value-added consumption tax. Clearly to Paul Ryan, everyone needs to sacrifice except the rich.

Of course, some of the better solutions to save money will be ignored by both parties in this discussion I assume. I remember reading that ending the War on Drugs will save governments (federal, state, local) somewhere in the area of at least $88 billion a year along with taxation of these drugs. Over a decade, that's $880 billion.

IMHO we need one that Saves SS and Medicare, the "no change" plan means that SS and Medicare will end when the US defaults. We MUST stop borrowing and paying interest on the Debt.

Start with Ryan's bill, slash the hell out of overseas military deployments and dump a couple boatloads of tax credits, subsidies and write-offs.

Then, let's get to selling off all the land that the feds have been hoarding.

I was amazed how many military folks are still in Europe!! We can cut the Defense Budget by 15% over 5-years and never miss it. Bring the troops home and put them on the southern border.

Oddball, I just spent a week in Iraq for training purposes. I teach radar theory and SATCOM basics. Anyhow, you would disgusted with the amount of money we are wasting over there, its insane.

Once we can cut the overseas needless spending, Iraq. I think a lot more Dems would be far more willing to come to the table. Right now, the GOP makes very little sense to me. they made the mess in Iraq and now say they have the ideas to fix our debt. its really sort of sad.

Ryan's prescription for Medicare is to replace it with the latest health care reform bill, passed last year, but for seniors.

That's not a serious proposal.

Some of his other proposals, however, have merit.

I would start with Ryan's cuts, add a total ban on all foreign aid (including sales of US Military items to foreign countries), recall all US Military personnel serving overseas into the United States, close all US Embassies and other foreign offices, and remove the US from NATO and the UN both financially and as signees. That ought to add quite a bit of additional savings to the budget.

Oddball, I just spent a week in Iraq for training purposes. I teach radar theory and SATCOM basics. Anyhow, you would disgusted with the amount of money we are wasting over there, its insane.

Once we can cut the overseas needless spending, Iraq. I think a lot more Dems would be far more willing to come to the table. Right now, the GOP makes very little sense to me. they made the mess in Iraq and now say they have the ideas to fix our debt. its really sort of sad.
Shit...Bitburg and Ramstein are like a continental Club Med for USAF personnel.

The dems don't have a freakin budget, they don't seem to be able to do the math..

The dems don't have a freakin budget, they don't seem to be able to do the math..

and yet it's the dems who are traditionally the better money managers. repugs are too busy giving tax cuts to rich people and starting wars they don't want to pay for so keep imploding the economy then whining when it doesn't get fixed quickly enough for them.

and for the record, boehner asked for 32 billion in cuts. he was given 33 ...

and then the self-aggrandizing spoiled brat tea loons smacked his butt and told him no. eric cantor wants his job so bad he's drooling.

:cuckoo:

Last edited:
and for the record, boehner asked for 32 billion in cuts. he was given 33 ...

And the GOP rejected $10 billion in defense cuts that was proposed. Furthermore, the GOP themselves proposed a budget I believe it was two months ago that was going to cut $30 billion.

Finally, a congressman with guts enough to post a possible solution to fix the budget mess.

House GOP budget: Where Ryan's proposals will bite - Apr. 5, 2011

Its not perfect, but there is room to negotiate, like cutting Defense and re-instating the Clinton era tax rates now to raise revenue.

Lets vote on it...

Paul Ryan, what a fraud. He voted for Part D, Tarp, and every other bankrupting bill that came along until there was a potus without a R next to his name. Suddenly he becomes fiscally responsible.

From the Economic Policy Journal:
"Ryan's "radical" budget would only reduce government spending to 20% of GDP by 2015. Obama wants to cut it to 23%. It is currently at 25%. In other words, there's only a 3 percentage point difference between Ryan's proposal and that of wild spending Democrats. And, this of course is before all the Congressional horse trading that goes on that would surely boost spending levels."

I think Ryan's proposal is important (I don't like the specifics) in that it initiates a serious discussion on serious changes to the budget, which I think are necessary.

I am not in favor of corporate welfare and CEO getting rich on the back of our tax dollars nor on destruction of the value of the dollar.

1. I would bring down defense spending, probably by half over a 10 year period. I would defend the US shores, but not prosecute wars of aggression we have no business in. See England, Russia. No troops in Germany or Japan. I would support development of high tech weaponry, as this has proved its value the last two decades. Cruise missiles, drones, our satellite eye in the sky, have all proven their worth. Aircraft carriers, AWACS, all good stuff. We spend 10 times what China or Russia spend, to maintain a huge offensive capability. This costs us too much money and too many lives, and we should reduce it substantially.
2. I would attack Medicare part D (repub screw up). For each illness, I would offer 1 out of 4 drugs on the market, some generic and some brand name. Lets say there are 40 blood pressure pills out there, I'd give away 10 for free (if prescribed by physician, 6 generic and 4 brand name). You would have to bid, and I'll take the 10 low bids. If you want a different pill, go buy it yourself. That would pressure the manufacturers to compete on price.
3. I would require all recipients of social security SSI payments to be certified by the SS doctor, not just their doctor. Maybe end SS-SSI altogether. This is being gamed by many, ripping off the working class.
4. I would allow private investigators to be bounty hunters on medicare fraud clinics. You bust one leading to conviction, you get 50K plus 10% of their fraudulent billings.
5. I would have medical boards set treatment standards, particularly end of life care. After a certain point, you go on DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) and hospice care. That's what they do in Europe. If you have money and want to pay for more (or buy an additional insurance to pay for more), you can.
6. End most corporate welfare. Exxon does not need tax breaks, they make a fortune. Eliminate farm subsidies, the family farm is gone, just huge operators out there.
7. Bring back the clinton era tax rates, the rich can pay more, they used to pay more and the economy was doing fine.

There are only 5 areas that make up most of the fed. budget, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Defense, and Interest on the debt.

- You can't do anything about interest on the debt unless you balance the budget and run a surplus and use the surplus to pay down the debt. I'm not holding my breath. Actually, interest rates will rise from here and this must go up and nudge something else out.
- So, you have to deal with SS, Medicare, Medicaid and Defense to meaningly deal with the deficit.

Last edited:
I think Ryan's proposal is important (I don't like the specifics) in that it initiates a serious discussion on serious changes to the budget, which I think are necessary.

I am not in favor of corporate welfare and CEO getting rich on the back of our tax dollars nor on destruction of the value of the dollar.

1. I would bring down defense spending, probably by half over a 10 year period. I would defend the US shores, but not prosecute wars of aggression we have no business in. See England, Russia. No troops in Germany or Japan. I would support development of high tech weaponry, as this has proved its value the last two decades. Cruise missiles, drones, our satellite eye in the sky, have all proven their worth. Aircraft carriers, AWACS, all good stuff. We spend 10 times what China or Russia spend, to maintain a huge offensive capability. This costs us too much money and too many lives, and we should reduce it substantially.
2. I would attack Medicare part D (repub screw up). For each illness, I would offer 1 out of 4 drugs on the market, some generic and some brand name. Lets say there are 40 blood pressure pills out there, I'd give away 10 for free (if prescribed by physician, 6 generic and 4 brand name). You would have to bid, and I'll take the 10 low bids. If you want a different pill, go buy it yourself. That would pressure the manufacturers to compete on price.
3. I would require all recipients of social security SSI payments to be certified by the SS doctor, not just their doctor. Maybe end SS-SSI altogether. This is being gamed by many, ripping off the working class.
4. I would allow private investigators to be bounty hunters on medicare fraud clinics. You bust one leading to conviction, you get 50K plus 10% of their fraudulent billings.
5. I would have medical boards set treatment standards, particularly end of life care. After a certain point, you go on DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) and hospice care. That's what they do in Europe. If you have money and want to pay for more (or buy an additional insurance to pay for more), you can.
6. End most corporate welfare. Exxon does not need tax breaks, they make a fortune. Eliminate farm subsidies, the family farm is gone, just huge operators out there.
7. Bring back the clinton era tax rates, the rich can pay more, they used to pay more and the economy was doing fine.

There are only 5 areas that make up most of the fed. budget, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Defense, and Interest on the debt.

- You can't do anything about interest on the debt unless you balance the budget and run a surplus and use the surplus to pay down the debt. I'm not holding my breath. Actually, interest rates will rise from here and this must go up and nudge something else out.
- So, you have to deal with SS, Medicare, Medicaid and Defense to meaningly deal with the deficit.

Excellent ideas!!

I suggest another "Grace Commission" to reshape the Federal government to eliminate duplication and "waste-fraud-abuse". Maybe they could figure out what to do about HUD/Fannie/Freddie as well.
Then I would go after off-shore tax shelters, even Switzerland.

We'd get a surplus and rebuild our manufacturing base. In the energy area, we'd need to reconfigure transportation systems, reducing the need for oil.
B O ran on the "smart grid" but I haven't seen anything yet?? 2/3 of the energy we burn is wasted, Japan only wastes 10%.

5E243407E364F7A4623024D002A9DAB8-1.gif

This is the Heritage Foundation map that was their estimate on how many jobs would be created with the Bush tax cuts. The REAL number was around "minus" 1.7 million.

Republicans follow the same, old, tired canards. Failure again and again.

Ryan get's his numbers from the "Heritage Foundation", the same place Bush got his.

I cant trust the GOP, not after 8 years of Bush and the that mess.
It wasn't eight years.

By far the worst thing President Obama inherited from Bush was the Pelosi/Reid super majority Congress.

The GOP never had a super majority Congress during Bush's two terms.

But, of course you knew that.

New Topics

Forum List

Back