Paul Ryan is the VP pick

If Willard picks Ryan, this will be the greatest move since McCain chose Palin!

I think Paul Ryan is a much better pick than Sarah Palin ever was. I really do think Paul Ryan is quite intelligent. The problem with Paul Ryan is that he represents the top ten percent just like Romney. Ryan's Medicare plan is a disaster waiting to happen. If implemented, tens of millions of seniors would go without healthcare. Yes, they could use their vouchers, but if they don't have the money to pay for their share, half a policy won't do them any good. And when we see tens of millions of seniors going without healthcare, then what would happen? It would fall right back on the federal government, or we would choose to let granny figure it out for herself.

If this is Romney's choice, then I have to believe he knows he is in real trouble and needs a "Hail Mary" to pull this out. The problem with "Hail Mary's" is that they are only successful about 5% of the time, and that is about the chance Romney now has of winning.

Last edited:
Ryan has all the compassion of someone who has never dealt with illness and disability, cared for an elderly parent or grandparent, or watched an older person struggle to make ends meet. He's smug in his little Washington bubble, knowing he has healthcare and won't ever have to worry about choosing between buying groceries or taking a child to the doctor.

Good luck winning over the middle class and older Americans!

This is great news! The thought of having Paul "Ayn Rand" Ryan a heartbeat away from the presidency should thrill poor and middle class voters.

Well, Romney really is as dumb politically as I thought he may be.

I look forward to the fallout...

"How the GOP came to view the poor as parasites—and the rich as our rightful rulers."

86c4a4bb-0311-463a-ab07-b8950e1b1fd7.jpg

Romney_Quenching_The_Thirst.jpg

Ryan has all the compassion of someone who has never dealt with illness and disability, cared for an elderly parent or grandparent, or watched an older person struggle to make ends meet. He's smug in his little Washington bubble, knowing he has healthcare and won't ever have to worry about choosing between buying groceries or taking a child to the doctor.

WOW!!!

Such insight!

:clap2:

Link?

Some may not feel another five trillion dollars in debt is particularly compassionate.

This is exciting news, because it will force both campaigns to talk about the future.

Paul Ryan's budget is not a theory; it's real and he proposed it, and the House passed it.

The problem, however, is that Mitt Romney needs to be able to make the case on the economy as to why we should elect him. He needs to spell out what he'd do for the economy.

You can beat Obama with a good plan, after all, the economy is the only drag on this President.

But the Paul Ryan budget will now be front and center, and if you read it and you're going to play "debate club" with a friend and you're gonna play the Democrat arguing against the Republican, the Ryan budget is like red meat.

What they passed in the House was a Tea Party wet dream: take Medicare, turn it into a voucher coupon program where we throw a few thousand bucks at seniors and tell them to hit the free market with the rest of us.

The problem with that is that they're on Medicare and Social Security for a reason, since the average senior in America is living on about $20,000 a year. They have Medicare because it's cheaper and more regulated in order so that we don't end up in a situation where millions of people who don't live on much don't end up costing us billions of dollars every year if they had to take all their ailments to the open market.

Medicare works. It saves us all money. It lifted seniors in America out of poverty. It keeps costs way, way down for them because to charge them the going rates for all the troubles they have going on would leave the rest of us with an enormous debt that we would never be able to pay.

But Paul Ryan pushed his silly plan, and the House voted for it, and then they went back to their districts and got yelled at and booed for doing it.

The majority of Americans want Medicare, including Republican voters. But Paul Ryan is the architect of the first piece of legislation that would kill it, and it got passed. It is not theory. It's what he wishes to do.

God bless him for having the courage of his convictions, however, as a former Republican supporter, I cannot support his budget because it only takes a little common sense to understand just how bloody awful it is for all of us.

I also don't support corporate welfare, and Paul Ryan does. That's another deal breaker.

Ryan sure has a courageous vision, too bad it's so bloody short-sighted.

I believe he'll excite the base while the party continues to bleed people like me who understand that giving corporations further tax breaks, even though they got a great deal and still moved jobs overseas the last 10 years, is massive corporate welfare and a redistribution of wealth from us regular folks to the fat cats.

I will be supporting President Obama and VP Joe Biden, imperfect as they are, because Romney-Ryan just don't get it when it comes to the economy. Let them campaign on ending Medicare, and let's see where that gets them.

I'm a little worried about this to say the least but the more I think about it, and from some of the posts in this very thread attacking Ryan, it seems that the left is more worried about Ryan than I am but in a different way.

I'll have to see what happens between now and the convention how this thing will play out. It could get very interesting I must say.

Last edited:
"The Warmth and Kindness of a Cobra"

This is just my read, but when I see Romney, what comes across to me is thinly veiled hostility.

This is someone who is used to getting his way. He does not respond well when he doesn’t. He’s the boss who says that he values your input, but if you contradict him or his goals he will not hesitate to fire you or (better yet) see to it that you get fired. There is a coldness, a calculation about him. He is a man of action, a man who will do what needs to be done. If what needs to be done involves hiding a few bodies, he will find the most effective way to do so.

The façade of good humor, bonhomie and “man of the people” is a paper mask. The eyes looking out of it have all of the warmth and kindness of a cobra.

You’re absolutely right the women are creeped out by him. This isn’t the serial rapist or dangerous drunken frat boy. He’s the guy who would dismiss your thoughts and opinions and remove your autonomy under the guise of loving you. He’s the guy who would tell you, “Trust me. I know what I’m doing. Don’t worry your pretty little head about this,” and mean it.

More: Tuesdays with Moron: Chatological Humor Update - The Washington Post

Now, Romney has selected another cobra.

This is exciting news, because it will force both campaigns to talk about the future.

Paul Ryan's budget is not a theory; it's real and he proposed it, and the House passed it.

The problem, however, is that Mitt Romney needs to be able to make the case on the economy as to why we should elect him. He needs to spell out what he'd do for the economy.

You can beat Obama with a good plan, after all, the economy is the only drag on this President.

But the Paul Ryan budget will now be front and center, and if you read it and you're going to play "debate club" with a friend and you're gonna play the Democrat arguing against the Republican, the Ryan budget is like red meat.

What they passed in the House was a Tea Party wet dream: take Medicare, turn it into a voucher coupon program where we throw a few thousand bucks at seniors and tell them to hit the free market with the rest of us.

The problem with that is that they're on Medicare and Social Security for a reason, since the average senior in America is living on about $20,000 a year. They have Medicare because it's cheaper and more regulated in order so that we don't end up in a situation where millions of people who don't live on much don't end up costing us billions of dollars every year if they had to take all their ailments to the open market.

Medicare works. It saves us all money. It lifted seniors in America out of poverty. It keeps costs way, way down for them because to charge them the going rates for all the troubles they have going on would leave the rest of us with an enormous debt that we would never be able to pay.

But Paul Ryan pushed his silly plan, and the House voted for it, and then they went back to their districts and got yelled at and booed for doing it.

The majority of Americans want Medicare, including Republican voters. But Paul Ryan is the architect of the first piece of legislation that would kill it, and it got passed. It is not theory. It's what he wishes to do.

God bless him for having the courage of his convictions, however, as a former Republican supporter, I cannot support his budget because it only takes a little common sense to understand just how bloody awful it is for all of us.

I also don't support corporate welfare, and Paul Ryan does. That's another deal breaker.

Ryan sure has a courageous vision, too bad it's so bloody short-sighted.

I believe he'll excite the base while the party continues to bleed people like me who understand that giving corporations further tax breaks, even though they got a great deal and still moved jobs overseas the last 10 years, is massive corporate welfare and a redistribution of wealth from us regular folks to the fat cats.

I will be supporting President Obama and VP Joe Biden, imperfect as they are, because Romney-Ryan just don't get it when it comes to the economy. Let them campaign on ending Medicare, and let's see where that gets them.

I'm totally convinced.:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back