Paul Ryan Calls Generals Liars

Well, there's a lot of ignorance on this topic starting with Ryan's unfounded statements.

The military decision-making process is pretty sound. I would say that it's more efficient than the decision process used in civilian corporations. The issue here isn't with the decisions made by generals. I think they came up with the best decision possible within the parameters given to them.

The issue is with the Pentagon's civilian leadership. These are political appointees, and they are going to make political decisions. They'll accept the recommendations made by the generals and then word-smith the findings and massage it for the Hill with twists and spins according to the political climate.

Even so, I'm not so sure this applies to the defense budget because I'm not familiar with the details. It makes more sense to me that Ryan is going to throw in a lot of political flak during an election year because that scores points with the constituents. Throwing general officers under the bus was a stupid move, but I don't credit that many politicians with genius. It revealed how ignorant he truly is of how business is carried out at the Pentagon.

This is still a system of government where the civilians run the Military and it's entirely proper for elected representatives to question decisions made by generals regarding military budgets. Thank God for people like Paul Ryan.

KRISTEN ROBERTS: Why did the committee choose to go against the advice of the generals?

REP. PAUL RYAN: We don’t think the generals are giving us their true advice. We don’t think the generals believe that their budget is really the right budget. I believe that the president’s budget by virtue of the fact that when he released his budget number of about $500 billion, the number was announced at the same time they announced the beginning of their strategy review of the Pentagon’s budget. So what we get from the Pentagon is more of a budget driven strategy, not a strategy driven budget.

LINK

It was the generals who said Gitmo was a recruitment tool for al Qaeda. No wonder the party that let Bin Laden go wants it to stay open. The enemy of my enemy is by friend. The policies of the right wing has made them "enemies of America". Letting Bin Laden go and not looking for him was the "final straw".

Five years ago the left was calling the commander of US Troops "betray-us" and now that they have a left wing president they think the generals should be able to write their own checks without congressional oversight. The world is upside down in the liberal mind.

Five years ago the left was calling the commander of US Troops "betray-us" and now that they have a left wing president they think the generals should be able to write their own checks without congressional oversight. The world is upside down in the liberal mind.

Um, you realize that Obama and the generals are talking about cutting the budget, right?
You realize that the budget was proposed to Congress right?
While you complain about the Left being upside down, at least they are not completely ignorant of the things they post about. jus' sayin'

Um, you realize that Obama and the generals are talking about cutting the budget, right?
While you complain about the Left being upside down, at least they are not completely ignorant of the things they post about. jus' sayin'

You do know what "oversight" means don't you? Congress has the last word in the budget.Five years ago the left was calling the commander of US Troops "betray us" and now they criticize Congress for doing the job that the Constitution mandates.

I like Paul Ryan, for his willingness to take on issues and his ability to do so, but he has a way of making unnecessary unforced errors. He would be a bad VP choice because the campaign wouldn't survive his loose lips. He needs to hone his message, A LOT.

V.P. choice? Is this what it's all about? Now it comes together. The Soros inspired left is trying to smear Ryan with petty and distorted charges because they think he might be on the 2012 ticket. Would you rather have a brain damaged V.P. who can't put a sentence together without sticking his foot in his mouth?

You do know what "oversight" means don't you? Congress has the last word in the budget.Five years ago the left was calling the commander of US Troops "betray us" and now they criticize Congress for doing the job that the Constitution mandates.

If you would be so kind as to point out where The Left has criticized Obama and the generals for submitting this budget, I would be happy to agree with you! As it is, you seem like someone who is just dying to find something to criticize and / or blame The Left for. In this case, you originally stated The Left wants unregulated spending or "blank checks", then did a quick flip-flop when you realized the opposite was in fact, true.
So again you're wrong, in that regard.
As far as the "Betray-us" thing I remember that but it is a strawman. A Congressman or senator didn't do it, thus is it irrelevant to Obama submitting a budget and an elected politician (Ryan) calling the full Line Staff of the US Military a bunch of liars.

Why do the leftest always get the Army generals to comment on political topics. If they want the truth talk to a Marine. The Army brass has been fucked up for decades. The grunts do well but they are led by a bunch of promotion whores at the pentagon.

Why do the leftest always get the Army generals to comment on political topics. If they want the truth talk to a Marine. The Army brass has been fucked up for decades. The grunts do well but they are led by a bunch of promotion whores at the pentagon.

Thanks for your service. I was given the pleasure of having the ever livin' shit kicked outta me by a 5'7" Filipino Gunney every day at Pendleton.
So I would have to respectfully disagree with you Marine. Generals are political animals in every branch - that's how they get to be generals. It's not "The leftist" who get them to say what they want. Remember what happened to the generals who disagreed with Junior? The Right has done it as long and as often as the Left.

So obviously you have an opinion on this. I fully support this budget and am happy to be specific as to why.
So why specifically are you so against it? If your objection to it is not just politically based (and since you criticize generals for basing their opinions on that, I would hope not), please share the truth that we would receive from asking a Marine about the budget.

The Marine Corps learned to do a lot with a little. The Corps got Army cast-offs and surplus from the end of WWII to the 1st Gulf War. It's a sort of discipline with the Corps. And the mission is different now, regiment/battalion sized forces, not full divisions.

I'm not so sure that Marine Corps generals are always so different from Army generals. Obama's National Security Advisor General James Jones (USMC - former Commandant - raised in France) seemed to be a bit of a puppet for Obama. He was a Democrat and a diplomat.

I like Paul Ryan, for his willingness to take on issues and his ability to do so, but he has a way of making unnecessary unforced errors. He would be a bad VP choice because the campaign wouldn't survive his loose lips. He needs to hone his message, A LOT.

Worse than Biden, you are kidding correct?:lol:

Of course that's not what I meant. He would make a great VP. But he would be a failure as a campaigner and wouldn't be an asset in that role.

Of course that's not what I meant. He would make a great VP. But he would be a failure as a campaigner and wouldn't be an asset in that role.

IMO VP's have little effect on the election. Case in point....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jf17Yo7hBM]Joe Biden Screws Up During Interview - YouTube[/ame]

and Obama was still elected.

Republicans and Rightwingers hate the military when the military doesn't agree with them.

General Wesley Clark
General Joseph Hoar
General Anthony Zinni
General Eric Shinseki
Admiral Joe Sestak
General Martin Dempsey

The list goes on and on: all of them demonized by the extreme fringe of American society, represented by the Republican Party. Disgraceful.

The Marine Corps learned to do a lot with a little. The Corps got Army cast-offs and surplus from the end of WWII to the 1st Gulf War. It's a sort of discipline with the Corps. And the mission is different now, regiment/battalion sized forces, not full divisions.

I'm not so sure that Marine Corps generals are always so different from Army generals. Obama's National Security Advisor General James Jones (USMC - former Commandant - raised in France) seemed to be a bit of a puppet for Obama. He was a Democrat and a diplomat.

The army has little to do with what the Corps gets, it is the navy that decides, and the navy decides the navy gets theirs first.

Republicans and Rightwingers hate the military when the military doesn't agree with them.

General Wesley Clark
General Joseph Hoar
General Anthony Zinni
General Eric Shinseki
Admiral Joe Sestak
General Martin Dempsey

The list goes on and on: all of them demonized by the extreme fringe of American society, represented by the Republican Party. Disgraceful.

Really? and you lefties LOVE the military when they are Republicans
Bush
Allen West
Remember, General Betrayus...that came from you loving left

Forum List

Back