Paul campaign challenges Romney's Maine win

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Mitt Romney's squeaker victory in Maine's GOP presidential caucuses is being challenged by Ron Paul, who has fixed the spotlight on a remote rural county and is asking this pressing question: Was it a heavy snowstorm or just a light dusting that fell Saturday night in the easternmost reaches of the state?

Anticipating inclement weather, GOP officials in Maine's Washington County postponed their Saturday caucus for a week. But state party officials said those belated votes won't be allowed to change the outcome they announced Saturday night—that former Massachusetts Gov. Romney had won a statewide straw poll by 194 votes over Rep. Paul, a Texas libertarian.

Washington County Republicans have rescheduled the caucus for next Saturday in East Machias, which could become a mecca for aggrieved Ron Paul supporters who believe the county could provide him the margin of victory.

The county's Republican chairman, Chris Gardner, has petitioned the state GOP to factor in their votes. The state party committee will consider the request at its next meeting March 10, said Michael Quantrano, executive director of the Maine GOP.

In the meantime, Mr. Paul's supporters from around the country are flooding the Maine GOP office with complaints and accusations that Mr. Paul's defeat was rigged. "Does anyone have pics of the 'snowstorm' in Washington County," queried one skeptic on a Facebook page for Maine Paul supporters.

Paul Campaign Challenges Romney's Maine Win - WSJ.com

This is typical Romney win-at-any-cost bullshit.

And we are supposed to trust this guy with the power to arrest citizens without warrant, hold them in seclusion indefinately without being charged with a crime and perhaps even have them killed?

That is the law now that the POTUS can do these things by simply designating someone a terrorist.

Romney cant even tell the Truth about the color of shit, no way I trust him with that kind of power.

The Republicans even cheat in their own primaries!

The Republicans even cheat in their own primaries!

So Romney is now representative of everyone in the GOP?

Dude, get some help, soon, before you hurt yourself, OK?

I am concerned for your health and safety, so please go see a shrink before it's too late.

It's unbelievable to me that this isn't a national story.

Romney is stealing these primaries, and there is no word about it in the MSM.

The relationship between certain journalists and certain political parties is symbiotic.

Hence no journalist with a career that can be ruined by inside contacts shutting down is going to bring any attention to this shit.

The relationship between certain journalists and certain political parties is symbiotic.

Hence no journalist with a career that can be ruined by inside contacts shutting down is going to bring any attention to this shit.

They completely ignore Ron Paul, but Romney's cheating should be a story for them.

I think they are just lazy.

They completely ignore Ron Paul, but Romney's cheating should be a story for them.

I think they are just lazy.

Nope, not lazy.... Bought and paid for!!

Well, it's not clear that the caucus could have actually changed who had more votes: Maine GOP disputes claims of caucus snow-job for Romney | Sun Journal

That being said, this seems like pretty poorly coordinated behavior. Delaying a vote and then finding out that the vote won't count because of it is not a good way of choosing the next POTUS.

From your article:

However, Romney's 194-vote victory touched off rampant speculation that party leaders canceled caucuses in Washington County and froze the voting because they were worried the contest would go to Paul.

"In Washington County — where Ron Paul was incredibly strong — the caucus was delayed until next week just so the votes wouldn't be reported by the national media (Saturday)," wrote John Tate, Paul's campaign manager, in a statement. "Of course, their excuse for the delay was 'snow' . . . "This is MAINE we're talking about. The GIRL SCOUTS had an event (Saturday) in Washington County that wasn't cancelled!"

Seems it was the party leadership that canceled the county caucus then used the cancelation as an excuse to disallow their votes nd the article implies that this likely would have reversed the outcome.

Again, standard Romney scorched Earth politics.

This guy is ten times worse than Tricky Dick Nixon.

If Mitt lost another primary because of misscounting after he he was called the winner, Mitt would never be able to run for President again IMO.

Chances are that county's vote would only get RP within 100 of Mittens, only 113 people voted in that county 4 years ago...

Chances are that county's vote would only get RP within 100 of Mittens, only 113 people voted in that county 4 years ago...

But that was four years ago.

Who knows how many voters Paul's people bought and trucked in from all over that county?

Does that matter? Either count the votes or you don't... Why don't we stop counting votes when the GOP or DNC like the number it's at?

What would have happened if they stoped counting in Iowa, Mitt would have won it... What do you know...

Does that matter? Either count the votes or you don't... Why don't we stop counting votes when the GOP or DNC like the number it's at?

What would have happened if they stoped counting in Iowa, Mitt would have won it... What do you know...

I agree with you and feel that EVERY vote should be counted, and not in SECRET like they did in Iowa. That was a Rove job, if you know what I mean... :eek:

Think paul would win if the votes were counted,very rigged by the establishment. This totslly destroys the value of any one.vote,disgracing the value of the peoples vpice. Not interested in a candidate who does this.

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed. I'm not a tin foil hat kinda person and I was telling my wife this today, just like that in fact. But I can't help but feel their is foul play, and I fucking hate thinking that. In the end it just makes me hate the Republican party more because it ended up not being a "clean win" by Mitt, and that light the fire.

New Topics

Forum List

Back