Patton's 48 Hour Seige Of Bastogne Vs. The War In Syria

I have always thought Herman T. Boettcher to be a model for one of the heroes in Myers' "Once An Eagle". Once An Eagle - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Literary significance and criticism[edit]
General H. Norman Schwarzkopf described Once an Eagle as "[a] classic novel of war and warriors. Sam Damon doesn't preach, he lives his values and they are universal, not only military."

In 1997 the United States Army War College Foundation published an edition with a foreword by GeneralJohn William Vessey, Jr. which read "It has been over thirty years since Anton Myrer, a former Marine enlisted man, began the exhaustive and painstaking research that produced this classic novel of soldiers and soldiering. Once an Eagle ranks with Red Badge of Courage and All Quiet on the Western Front as time tested epics of war and warriors. The spirit, the heart and, yes, the soul of the officer corps is captured, as are the intangible ambiance and nuances that make up the life of the American soldier and his family. It is for these reasons and more that the Army War College Foundation has undertaken to republish Anton Myrer’s masterpiece."[4]

General Charles C. Krulak, the commandant of the US Marine Corps, wrote "Once an Eagle has more to teach about leadership — whether it is in the boardroom or on the battlefield — than a score of modern-day management texts. It is a primer that lays out, through the lives of its two main characters, lessons on how and how not to lead."[4]

Maj. Gen. Robert H. Scales, the commandant of the US Army War College in 1997 wrote on the book's fly-leaf "Once an Eagle has been the literary moral compass for me and my family of soldiers for more than two generations. Its ethical message is as fresh and relevant today as it was when Anton Myrer wrote it during the war in Vietnam.[4]

The book has also been on the Army Chief of Staff's recommended reading list for professional development, and is currently on the Marine Corps Commandant's recommended reading list as well.
Thanks, never read it but certainly will. I always think most infantry companies have one or two real leaders, some officers some not, and it is these true heroes that are responsible for winning those nitty-gritty little skirmishes that result in nitty gritty battles being won. The problem is these lower echelon heroes have a short life span and too few are recognized.
Thanks again.

Yeah, I think we learned our lesson and just might not invade Syria or encourage too much more of this Arab Fall or whatever hippie lovefest name we wanna call it.

We overthrew Saddam Hussein and until someone strong takes over that nightmare of a country we need to babysit it. No need to have to babysit Syria for the rest of our life expectancies.

The moment we flew over Syrian airspace, we invaded Syria

Says the coward who left Christianity for Islam, and denies all that is good for America.

You have no idea what are facts.

I don't know about Blamey but I do know a little of MacArthur who probably had no idea of conditions at Buna. My hero of Buna was Herman T. Boettcher, promoted and later. to die on Luzon. I did not fight at Buna but I was there after the battle and spent some time walking over the battle. The first picture of American dead released to the papers, was GI's on Maggot beach.
It was primarily the Australian 39th Battalion that engaged the Japanese on the Kakoda Track and after the battle they had a contest of some type and the winning company got two weeks leave Australia. The company that won the contest went home and never came back. Buna may have been the worst battle of WWII, maybe that's why so little is known about it.

Thank you for your service.
Australia only exists as it does today because of the brave American soldiers, sailors and airmen who fought [and died, were wounded] in the Pacific and PNG.
Those Australians who know about the battles and America's major contribution will be forever grateful [not allowed to talk in schools about wars ...not politically correct these days in the world of 'academia'].

Americans/more Americans [sometimes there seems to be US ship in port] should be marching in the Anzac Day parades in Australia 25th April each year.
US Marines are now stationed in Darwin NT Australia [Indonesia and China are not so happy]...should be a simple matter of flying some of them to Sydney etc.

HMAS Perth with USS Houston special Anzac Day 25APR13 Melbourne

Jake you dont have the balls to take me on in a debate, much less fight a war in this era. And you say I don't don't have it?

td has got it, TK never had it

You don't have it, period, as you have repeatedly demonstrated on the Board.

I won't fight with an unarmed person like you.

Hah! Run like the coward you are! We don't play with Nerf guns around here!

And no wonder since your cardboard sword is all you need.

Why don't you stop the childish ad homs and address the idiocy put forth in your own OP - that short sighted RWs want to use 19th century tools and methods to fight a 21st century war. Address the fact the right has learned nothing of value from our experience in Vietnam, Korea, the Gulf War or, for that matter, the Revolution.

Forum List

Back