Patton and MacArthur

Mac was in his 70's when Truman appointed him commander of forces in Korea. He never spent a single night on the peninsula and preferred to rely on faulty intelligence from Army Gen. Ned Almond. When American media seemed less than confident about Mac's threat to approach the Yalu river he took them for a plane ride along the river and it seemed quiet but an entire Chinese army was camouflaged on the ground. Marine Generals Puller and O.P. Smith smelled a rat and refused to blunder along the route Almond recommended but Mac's troops walked into the biggest ambush in history at the Chosin.
I get it. Like say Churchill and Gallipoli. But his (MacArthur's) assessment of the Chinese invasion of Korea and using ALL our tools to blunt what is NOW the DPRK seems valid. You know, the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" and their starvation of their own people to fund their megalomaniac's leader's expensive nuclear/missile program. I know, hindsight is always 20/20.

I get it. Like say Churchill and Gallipoli. But his (MacArthur's) assessment of the Chinese invasion of Korea and using ALL our tools to blunt what is NOW the DPRK seems valid. You know, the "Democratic Peoples republic of Korea" and their starvation of their own people to fund their nuclear/missile program. I know, hindsight is always 20/20.
The Marines warned him that he was stretching the supply lines thin...........and that he needed to slow up and allow supplies to catch up.

And the US and allied troops on the ground responded magnificently

Mao thought he had us, but he was wrong

I wonder how our transgender dickless pajama boys and lesbo’s today would have made out?

actually I think I know and its not a pretty picture
The breakout from the Chosin ambush was less than magnificent. Americans lost about 35,000 in less than 3 years but the media refused to criticize Truman or MacArthur. Instead of a debacle they preferred to call Korea the "forgotten war". After the conflict MacArthur decided to run for president on the republican ticket until Korean Vets protested. He ran for president as a pathetic 3rd party candidate and lost to Ike.

The breakout from the Chosin ambush was less than magnificent. Americans lost about 35,000 in less than 3 years but the media refused to criticize Truman or MacArthur. Instead of a debacle they preferred to call Korea the "forgotten war". After the conflict MacArthur decided to run for president on the republican ticket until Korean Vets protested. He ran for president as a pathetic 3rd party candidate and lost to Ike.
My dear ol' Uncle Howard was in the marines in the south pacific and then Korea, he was at "frozen Chosin". China was THE problem in Korea. The massive suicide assaults by the Chinese army would have stopped IF the UN and the US nuked them. But, hey Truman intervened. And here we are.

Hollywood showed it's skewed respect for WW2 heroes or lack of it when it portrayed quirky George C. Scott who was the crazy general in Dr. Strangelove (1964) as Patton and solid serious Gregory Peck ( To Kill a Mockingbird) as MacArthur.

The breakout was “less than magnificent” in what way?

It was one of America’s finest moments

Originally posted by MaryL
The massive suicide assaults by the Chinese army would have stopped IF the UN and the US nuked them. But, hey Truman intervened. And here we are.

In a much more "polite" world where America can't do shit against nuclear powers.

The breakout was “less than magnificent” in what way?

It was one of America’s finest moments
OK you can call it magnificent if you want but the U.S. lost about 6,000 dead or captured or missing in two weeks of fighting at the frozen Chosin. Marine Generals O.P. Smith and Chesty Puller decided to "attack in a different direction" and dragged Army Gen. Ned Almond's Army units to safety.

Mac was in his 70's when Truman appointed him commander of forces in Korea. He never spent a single night on the peninsula and preferred to rely on faulty intelligence from Army Gen. Ned Almond. When American media seemed less than confident about Mac's threat to approach the Yalu river he took them for a plane ride along the river and it seemed quiet but an entire Chinese army was camouflaged on the ground. Marine Generals Puller and O.P. Smith smelled a rat and refused to blunder along the route Almond recommended but Mac's troops walked into the biggest ambush in history at the Chosin.
Big Mac Attack

Those islands in the Pacific were no picnic, either, but a genius like MacArthur made it look like a cakewalk. Same with Inchon.

Big Mac Attack

Those islands in the Pacific were no picnic, either, but a genius like MacArthur made it look like a cakewalk. Same with Inchon.
McArthur did his duty in WW1 and retired as COS of the Army. Why FDR asked him to take charge of the area most likely to be attacked in the opening days of WW2 is puzzling. MacArthur failed in that mission and finally abandoned his Troops (under orders) at Corrigador. The FDR administration awarded McAcarther the Medal of Honor in the shortest (embarrassing) commendation in the book. Mac never spent a night in Korea, preferring to rely on faulty intelligence reports from fawning Army sources. After Korea MacArthur thought he had the republican presidential nomination locked up until Korean Vets. launched an opposition. The vindictive retired general ran as an independent in the 1952 election apparently hoping to take votes away from fellow retired general Eisenhower

Forum List

Back