Patti Page has passed

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
My daddy would waltz me around standing on his shoes to the Tennessee Waltz. Good memories.

RIP Patti. You were a fine and gracious lady with a voice like velvet.

[ame=http://youtu.be/_Ek3eCbfqp0]The Tennessee Waltz - singer Patti Page 1950 - YouTube[/ame]

Some one posted this at youtube. How true.

When she sang, the angels stopped what they were doing to listen

I remember when I was 6-years old and looking at all of the records in the cabinet. That's when I discovered my first love, Elvis. It's also when I came across the album below, and thought that she was as pretty as my Barbie dolls.:)

4631201490_1712952223.jpg

This was so neat about the Tennessee Waltz. Just some trivia. It was the B side.

A lot of times the old DJ's of the past could pick a hit better than the record company.

Tennessee Waltz, her biggest selling record, was a fluke.

Because Christmas was approaching, Mercury Records wanted Page to record Boogie Woogie Santa Claus in 1950.

Page and Rael got hold of Tennessee Waltz, convinced that a pop artist could make a smash hit out of it. Mercury agreed to put it on the B-side of the Christmas song.

'Mercury wanted to concentrate on a Christmas song and they didn't want anything with much merit on the flip side,' Page said. 'They didn't want any disc jockeys to turn the Christmas record over. The title of that great Christmas song was Boogie Woogie Santa Claus, and no one ever heard of it.'

Tennessee Waltz became the first pop tune that crossed over into a big country hit.

The waltz was on the charts for 30 weeks, 12 of them in the top 10, and eventually sold more than 10 million copies, behind only White Christmas by Bing Crosby at the time

article-2256320-16BB1FE9000005DC-470_634x911.jpg

Forum List

Back