Patriotic Education Despised By Elites

PC, I looked up "a cloak for moral relativism verging on nihilism of the sort that asserts that whatever feels good is good" in the dictionary...

This is what I found...

ayn-rand.jpg

Patriot is as patriot does. So, you have a dd214 that states Honorable, correct? This old Lib does, and not drafted, volunteered. And you?

One of my ancestors fought the Sioux in Minnisota during the uprising there. Took two bullets, one of which he carried in his body for the rest of his life. And, after his service was done, he told the family that had he been treated as the Sioux in Minnisota were treated, he would have done the same as they did. Yes, there was a campaign of genocide against the Native Americans. My wife is part Hunkpapa Lakota, and some of her direct ancestors fought at Greasy Grass.

When I was a boy, both Colin Powel and President Obama would have had to ride in the back of the buss in all of the Southern cities, and half the northern one. There was a sign at the public swimming pool in The Dallas, Oregon, that said, "No dogs or indians in the pool".

PoliticalShit, you have well earned your name.

I'm not really willing to wade into the genocide or not discussion as either way, the American Indians were decimated.

I will say, it is important to address head on when your nation/faith/family finds itself indisputably in the wrong. That's the only way you can learn and improve going forward. Not only that, if you gloss over these things when you teach someone about history, they will find them on their own and be convinced you've lied to them either by intent or by omission.

I'm a fairly devout Christian, but when I teach my History of Mathematics course (easily the most potentially political course in a Math Department) I have to address head on the role that the early Christians played in shutting down the Academy and killing Hypatia, effectively ending mathematics at the Museum. Doing that means when I talk about the very very important role the Church played in keeping literacy and education going in the Middle Ages they take me seriously and know I'm not just playing to a pro-Christian bias.

I don't teach American History, but if I did that would be my approach there too. Be honest about the blight on history that is the institution of Slavery, the 3/5 compromise, the Dread Scott case, the Missouri Compromise, Bloody Kansas, etc. Be honest when you talk about the Trail of Tears or the forced relocation of the American Indian tribes. When you are honest about that, the truly shining moments in American history burn brighter for it. When you brush over the bad parts, the good parts suffer too as students will wonder what you were trying to hide.

Forum List

Back