Patriot Act up for renewal and no one notices

Now can anyone tell me how many plots the Patriot Act stopped or prevented?

Nope, because we don't know.

Can anyone name 5 cases where an innocent American was damaged in any way by the patriot act?

Didn't think so.

But then, I could be wrong.

Looks like the old-school check-pant Republicans still don't get it. Real Conservatives are now poised to take over and run the show in the Party. The days of Democrat-Light are over. The old dinosaurs will get it at some point. They truly underestimated how many Republicans would oppose these extensions. As for the Democrats though,what a bunch of dishonest hypocrite jerkoffs. They voted for every single one of these same extensions when they had all the power. Now they suddenly oppose them. I guess the Patriot Act is "Evil" to them once again. Gee how bout that timing? They're suddenly against it now that the Republicans are in power. What a disgraceful scam. The D's have no credibility. Kudos to those Republicans who stood up though.

Lib, no, the libertarians are not the real conservatives, and, no, you are not going to get control of the party. The party is now distancing itself quite quickly and quite correctly from Michelle and Sarah and the rest of the yoiks.

Do vote Republican next year, please.

Now can anyone tell me how many plots the Patriot Act stopped or prevented?

Nope, because we don't know.

Can anyone name 5 cases where an innocent American was damaged in any way by the patriot act?

Didn't think so.

But then, I could be wrong.

Ollie has become the first liberal-conservative on the Board. Your point is well taken, though, in that you and I and Average American has no real idea all of what the gov is doing in the name of the act.

Posted at 10:52 AM ET, 02/17/2011
House approves Patriot Act extension, sending it to Obama By Felicia Sonmez

The House on Thursday passed a 90-day extension of key provisions of the Patriot Act counterterrorism surveillance law, sending the measure on to President Obama for his signature. // The measure passed on a vote of 279 to 143. It extends three provisions of the law until May 27, a compromise reached by congressional leaders to give lawmakers more time to consider re-authorizing them for a longer period of time. // Thursday's House vote came two days after the Senate passed the short-term extension on a bipartisan vote; it also came a week after an initial House effort to fast-track the extension fell seven votes short of passage in an unanticipated embarrassment for House Republican leaders. Thursday's vote was nearly identical to the initial vote in the House last week, when 277 lawmakers backed the measure and 148 opposed it. // The three Patriot Act provisions -- dealing with roving wiretaps, "lone wolf" terrorism suspects and the government's ability to seize "any tangible items" in the course of surveillance - were set to expire Feb. 28 if Congress did not act to extend them. // The White House said last week that it "would strongly prefer" an extension of the provisions until 2013 but would not object to a shorter-term extension.

No expansion of powers, only extension.

I don't know how good it might be, but I am glad it is not expansion of the act's powers.

Now we git to see if Obama is BushIII on another issue!

Most likely, yes. Here's the official White House statement on this extension.