Patriot Act Expires this summer! Hooray!!!

I'll bet anything it gets re-passed and signed

again
As long as Obamination has a phone and a pen.
You must have forgotten it was Bushed that made it all possible.
did you forget that obama said he wouldn't sign it and then did?

With the expanded powers no less. It was, in my opinion, the worst thing the President has done during his terms.

This is the greatest threat to our rights, and it doesn't matter who's in the White House. If you look at the power George Washington had as president as compared to the modern presidency you can't help but notice the slow, inexorable creep of power.

This is the greatest threat to our rights and we need to vote out every single politician who votes for it, or even if they vote absent. We can only allow them to stay if they vote against this law or any like it.

And I don't see that happening...
Most will get re-elected b/c they will hand out stuff voters like.

and this will NOT be in the news

I don't believe that.

I think there are a number of contributing factors:

US citizens vote out of fear of opposition party policies, or fear of perceived opposition party policies.

Bumper sticker politics/Low information voting.

Single issue voting like abortion or same-sex marriage.

Party-line voting.

Believing voting for a third party candidate wastes the vote.

Having priorities other than repealing the Patriot Act like the economy or the environment.

Etc., etc. ad infinitum.

It'll get a little coverage for partisan political news shows and be forgotten about within two weeks.

again

You said yourself (in reply to the exact same post) that it we could replace Obama with anyone, and the result would still be the same on this. So why are you jumping on someone who correctly makes the same point?
fuck do you care?

Because absent logic irritates me.

You said yourself (in reply to the exact same post) that it we could replace Obama with anyone, and the result would still be the same on this. So why are you jumping on someone who correctly makes the same point?
fuck do you care?

Because absent logic irritates me.
Then you must be pissing yourself off

When Bush was caught spying on tens of millions of Americans, torturing people, detaining American citizens without a writ of habaes corpus, the rabid rabble's response was, "How many terrorist attacks have we had on our soil since then? NONE! So there! Now where is your flag pin, peacenik?"

When the totalitarian baton was then passed to the black guy, it was suddenly as if they had all been in a coma from 2001 to January 2009 and just woke up, "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!"

Last edited:
Obama won't give up that kind of power. He drooled over it last time:

Obama approves extension of expiring Patriot Act provisions - CNN.com

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) credited the Patriot Act with helping to prevent a terror attack on the U.S. Capitol.

“The first thing that strikes me is we would never have known about this had it not been for the FISA program and our ability to collect information on people who pose an imminent threat,” Boehner told reporters during Republicans’ two-day retreat in Hershey, Pa.

“I’m going to say this one more time because you’re going to hear about it for months and months to come as we attempt to reauthorize the FISA program,” he added. “Our government does not spy on Americans, unless they are Americans who are doing things that frankly tip off our law enforcement officials to an imminent threat.”

OBoehner won't give up that kind of power ...

Boehner is full of shit. The assumption that we can't stop terrorist without the "patriot" act that violates the constitutional rights of Americans is ill founded. I'm beginning to think he's a pathological liar.

Oh, and a crybaby too.

The so called Patriot Act which allows the government to apprehend Americans without due process is finally coming to an end! This lousy piece of Anti-American executive order will be up for reenactment. Call your congressmen and tell them NO!!
Obabble isn't worried...he's not a patriot.
You should love this act it originated with a GOP led White House and Congress...

And renewed by a Democrat led White House and Congress. You Leftwats just can't get away from your own actions, like voting for the Iraq war.

When Bush was caught spying on tens of millions of Americans, torturing people, detaining American citizens without a writ of habaes corpus, the rabid rabble's response was, "How many terrorist attacks have we had on our soil since then? NONE! So there! Now where is your flag pin, peacenik?"

When the totalitarian baton was then passed to the black guy, it was suddenly as if they had all been in a coma from 2001 to January 2009 and just woke up, "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!"

I've told these same people over and over that I understand wanting to support your side but one day those powers will fall into the hands of someone you dont like and, like others have said, people dont want to give up power.

Viola...Skip to today. The Right doesnt like Obama and Obama doesnt want to give up the power.

Who'da thunk it :rolleyes:

The so called Patriot Act which allows the government to apprehend Americans without due process is finally coming to an end! This lousy piece of Anti-American executive order will be up for reenactment. Call your congressmen and tell them NO!!

I'd like to be optimistic about it being dumped, but i can't be. Both the Communists/Progressives and Neocon Statists love the power. They love the control. So i doubt it will be scrapped. It's very sad. The 'Patriot Act' is the most Un-Patriotic act ever committed against the American People.

Better keep tally of the politicians who vote for it, so we can vote them out next time.
If the American People were capable of carrying out such a simplistic remedy we would be living in a Utopia by now. But they aren't.
Yep, that is no reason to give up however. I won't use the words 'hope' or 'change', given the negative politics connotations they now instill.

again
Do not forget who created the Patriot act. I will give you a hint, he was not a Democrat.
How many dems voted to pass it?

hint; a fucking lot
Senate vote = 98-1 for. Feingold (D) voted against.
House vote = See chart.

FINAL VOTE RESULTS FOR ROLL CALL 398(Republicans in roman; Democrats in italic; Independents underlined)
H R 3162 2/3 YEA-AND-NAY 24-Oct-2001 11:05 AM
QUESTION: On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass
BILL TITLE: To deter and punish terrorist acts in the United States and around the world

YEAS NAYS PRES NV
REPUBLICAN 211 3 5
DEMOCRATIC 145 62 4
INDEPENDENT 1 1
TOTALS 357 66 9

Forum List

Back