Patrick Swayze dead

It is good he isn't suffering anymore. He fought with integrity.

Nothing personal against your statement, but I get sick of hearing things like this. He fought with integrity? Who gives a shit? He died much too young. Life is short enough as it is. Dying short of a full life truly sucks, not just for that individual, but for all their loved ones even more.

Despite the fact that modern medicine has been able to extend life expectancy dramatically, when it comes to cancer, we've barely put a dent in it. And most all treatments revolve around destroying the entire body in order to destroy the cancer. The bottom line is that even when it works, so much damage is caused to the rest of the body that life expectancy is reduced dramatically, and that is when it works. For most, all it does is extend life by a few years, and along with that comes a great deal of pain and suffering. I've seen it first hand as the chemo and radiation they gave my wife slowly but surely destroyed who she was. Yes, it gave her nine extra months, but they weren't good months by any standard.

at least he isn't in any pain anymore.
I of course loved him in Dirty Dancing and I don't think anyone will ever play a drag queen better then him. The 80's wouldn't have been the same without him.

Ghost, and to think he is now going into that light, just like the end of the movie.

God Bless him.

I think To Wong Foo thanks for everything Julie Newmar, was his best work.
And I will always love Johnny Castle, I have seen Dirty Dancing probably 10,000 times.

Last edited:
ToWongFoo1.jpg

he was the pretty one!

Swayze was awesome in the movies previously mentioned but one of my very favorite movies with him is not really well known. He played Pecos Bill in the movie "Tall Tale" and it was a role perfect for him. I also liked him in "King Solomon's Mines", where he played Alan Quartermaine.

But those were just roles he played, while in real life ... he was just as great a guy. About 16 years ago, I started volunteering with a therapeutic riding program - hippotherapy for kids with different kinds of issues. The director of the program was and is active in Arabian horse shows, etc. She took a bunch of the kids to an Arabian show that Swayze was competing in. He talked to the kids, took pictures with them and autographed a poster of himself and his stallion Tammen. They couldn't stop talking about how nice he was. It was probably a simple/little thing for him but it was an incredible experience for the kids.

RIP

SwayziTammen_Polly_Knoll_.jpg

Ghost.

For all those who have lost close friends and family to cancer, Patrick's death hurts down deep, way deep. May God keep his family, uphold them in hope, and ease the pain.

I belong to a sorority, Phi Beta Psi, it was started in the early 1900's by a group of teenage girls who wanted to do something to change the world. We collect money to fund cancer research. Almost 100% of the money we collect goes directly to the doctor's doing the research. We pay dues to cover our administrative costs. Everyone of us has been touched by cancer, either had it ourselves or lost a loved one to it. I've experienced both. If you find a chapter near you, please donate. I will mention Patrick Swayze at our next meeting and will donate $20 in memorandum...I would love it if some of you would match that donation.

Swayze was awesome in the movies previously mentioned but one of my very favorite movies with him is not really well known. He played Pecos Bill in the movie "Tall Tale" and it was a role perfect for him. I also liked him in "King Solomon's Mines", where he played Alan Quartermaine.

But those were just roles he played, while in real life ... he was just as great a guy. About 16 years ago, I started volunteering with a therapeutic riding program - hippotherapy for kids with different kinds of issues. The director of the program was and is active in Arabian horse shows, etc. She took a bunch of the kids to an Arabian show that Swayze was competing in. He talked to the kids, took pictures with them and autographed a poster of himself and his stallion Tammen. They couldn't stop talking about how nice he was. It was probably a simple/little thing for him but it was an incredible experience for the kids.

RIP

SwayziTammen_Polly_Knoll_.jpg

Damn...got to spread some more rep points before giving it to you again..sigh

That was well said....he seemed like such a genuinely nice person, who stayed married to the same woman for over 30 years....and he loved his horses. So sad :(

I cannot recall a movie of his that I did not enjoy. Ghost is at the top of the list.

Pancreatic cancer is brutal. I watched a VP here dwindle down to 90 pounds, become too weak to walk and wither to skin on a skeleton in a hospice within months. Often I have wished that I had not made that last visit to see him...but his wife assured me he could hear and understand what we were saying even though he was restricted to answering with finger movements as his wife's hand held his 'til he died.

Rest in peace, Patrick.

Forum List

Back