Patrick Swayze dead

Tough break

Enlarge By Michael Muller, AP

Patrick Swayze, who gained international fame for his performance in 1987's Dirty Dancing, died Monday, according to his publicist, Annett Wolf. He was 57.

Patrick Swayze, the gracefully macho Texan who swiveled his way to movie stardom in 1987's Dirty Dancing, died Monday at the age 57 after waging a valiant public battle against pancreatic cancer.
"Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," said a statement released Monday evening by his publicist, Annett Wolf. No other details were given.

Fans of the likable actor have been prepared for such an outcome for more than a year, ever since the National Enquirer blared the headline, "Patrick Swayze Has 5 Weeks to Live."

He managed to defy that prediction, though he was pragmatic about his chances and candid when discussing the ordeal of fighting such a virulent illness that usually kills 95% of its victims within five years.

"You can bet I'm going through hell," he told Barbara Walters on Jan. 8 in his first TV interview since he was diagnosed. "And I've only see the beginning of it. There's a lot of fear here. … Yeah, I'm scared. Yeah, I'm angry. Yeah, I'm asking, 'Why me.' "

Swayze also acknowledged time was running out. "I'd say five years is pretty wishful thinking. Two years seems likely if you're going to believe statistics. I want to last until they find a cure, which means I'd better get a fire under it."

Still, it's hard to accept that the guy with the rough-hewn features and carnal soulfulness who hoisted the likes of 1989's testosterone-heavy hootfest Road House and 1990's weeper deluxe Ghost into the category of pop-culture classics is gone. Here was someone who was man enough to dance ballet, figure-skate in a Disney ice show, croon the sap-tastic She's Like the Wind and make a cornball line like "No one puts Baby in the corner" go down in history.

Last edited:
Outsiders... My Favorite film next to Red Dawn with him in it...

Rest in Peace.

:)

peace...

Red Dawn and North and South...my two favorite Patrick Swayze movies

oh, and Ghost, my three favorite Patrick Swayzie movies.....and Dirty Dancing, my four favorite Patrick Swayze, amongst my favorite Patrick Swayzie movies are....

I'll come in again...

Ghost.

For all those who have lost close friends and family to cancer, Patrick's death hurts down deep, way deep. May God keep his family, uphold them in hope, and ease the pain.

Ghost.

For all those who have lost close friends and family to cancer, Patrick's death hurts down deep, way deep. May God keep his family, uphold them in hope, and ease the pain.

Yes, I am very sad to hear this news.

A poster here once posted something about Patrick Swayze being really hot, I'm pretty sure it was Eve, and I told her privately how much I love him too. Not just that he was so handsome as much as his strong determined nature and his inspirational attitude toward his battle with cancer. At least he's not suffering any more...May he rest in peace.

One of the very select few from Hollywood that wasn't flat out fucked in the head.

Sad news.

always like him in road house. only 57 years old

Actor Patrick Swayze died today after a 20-month battle with pancreatic cancer his publicist confirmed to ABC News. He was 57.

[URL="http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/patrick-swayze-dies-pancreatic-cancer/story?id=7634240"]link[/URL]

2_21_030508_swayze_wife.jpg

And no one mentions the one movie he was most famous for.... *DIRTY DANCING*!

RIP Pat... you were a truly decent person.

Forum List

Back