Patient trapped in a 23-year 'coma' was conscious all along

This would be my ultimate nightmare, unable to move, communicate, do anything for 23 years!

I would have long ago gone insane.

Patient trapped in a 23-year 'coma' was conscious all along | Mail Online

A car crash victim diagnosed as being in a coma for the past 23 years has been conscious the whole time.
Rom Houben was paralysed but had no way of letting doctors know that he could hear every word they were saying.
'I dreamed myself away,' said Mr Houben, now 46, who doctors thought was in a persistent vegatative state.

Not that far to go, methinks.

At any rate, this guy is thankful he wasn't offed, and sees his new ability to communicate as a blessing.

Let's hope the "let's kill everyone off who doesn't look like liberals" off take that into account the next time they advocate killing people whom THEY have decided have no reason to live.

Between the week-long training, the various and assorted trips to The Dalles & Hood River, the forced furlough days, the multiple retirement parties for my co-worker (and another one on Monday), the huge article I wrote, I haven't gotten any work done, it's piling up.

And of course I'M the one who gets the heat. I'm just going to start referring all my irate clients to the people who make the decisions that I need to take days to travel hundreds of miles away from my office to accomplish, essentially, nothing.

I'll be so relieved when December comes and with it the new SPD worker who will be taking over that caseload. Thank goodness. It's not that it's such a huge caseload...it's that it takes precious time away from my regular workload to take questions and calls, find answers, hold hands, that it's just a pain in the ass.

Between the week-long training, the various and assorted trips to The Dalles & Hood River, the forced furlough days, the multiple retirement parties for my co-worker (and another one on Monday), the huge article I wrote, I haven't gotten any work done, it's piling up.

And of course I'M the one who gets the heat. I'm just going to start referring all my irate clients to the people who make the decisions that I need to take days to travel hundreds of miles away from my office to accomplish, essentially, nothing.

I'll be so relieved when December comes and with it the new SPD worker who will be taking over that caseload. Thank goodness. It's not that it's such a huge caseload...it's that it takes precious time away from my regular workload to take questions and calls, find answers, hold hands, that it's just a pain in the ass.
Qwitcher bitchin. At least you haven't been paralyzed and diagnosed comatose for 23 years.

This would be my ultimate nightmare, unable to move, communicate, do anything for 23 years!

A car crash victim diagnosed as being in a coma for the past 23 years has been conscious the whole time.
Rom Houben was paralysed but had no way of letting doctors know that he could hear every word they were saying.
'I dreamed myself away,' said Mr Houben, now 46, who doctors thought was in a persistent vegatative state.

Maybe he was a Cubs fan.

Qwitcher bitchin. At least you haven't been paralyzed and diagnosed comatose for 23 years.

WTF? I have no idea how I posted this post in this thread. It's not where it was meant to go. It had it's own inane thread.

BTW, the sentiment is reciprocated in spades, ****.

reputation_neg.gif
Patient trapped in a... 11-24-2009 09:52 PM AllieBaba What an incredible unhappy person you are.

This story made me cry:

Mother of Rom Houben who was in a 'coma' for 23 years knew he understood every word she said | Mail Online

WTF? I have no idea how I posted this post in this thread. It's not where it was meant to go. It had it's own inane thread.

Hey clueless, not my fault you have no idea what thread you're in. :lol:

Of, if you don't like it when you're finally able to communicate, tell your medical team to off you.

This story made me cry:

Mother of Rom Houben who was in a 'coma' for 23 years knew he understood every word she said | Mail Online
Thanks for the link. I'm glad to know his family still spoke to him as if he was able to understand them and that they took him on vacation with them. He seems to have come out of this remarkably well balanced and harboring no bitterness. This story really affected me and it's good to know his suffering was not quite so terrible as I was imagining it.
I think it's worth pointing out though, that this man's case is not like Terri Schiavo's was and so should not be used as some kind of I told you so. Her brain was mush, his was not.

Allie, I prefer to be addressed with the new, chic way of spelling the c-word as proposed by xotoxi.

Cun't?

Please keep it in mind for the future. Thanks :)

This story made me cry:

That is very cool actually, she never gave up on him.

Forum List

Back