Paterno Stripped of 111 Wins, Makes Bowden Football’s No. 1

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Does this really make any sense? Paterno's wrongdoings did not actually have anything to do with the team winning or losing a game did they?

Paterno Stripped of 111 Wins, Makes Bowden Football

By Curtis Eichelberger - Jul 23, 2012 11:07 AM ..Bobby Bowden became the coach with the most victories at college football’s highest level. The former Florida State University coach gained the distinction with 377 wins after college sports’ governing body penalized Penn State University and Joe Paterno for their roles in a child sex-abuse scandal.

Paterno, who was identified as failing to take action after learning long-time defensive assistant Jerry Sandusky had been accused of sexual abuse, lost 111 of those victories to bring him to a total of 298. He was fired on Nov. 9, five days after Sandusky’s indictment, and Penn State won one game under his interim replacement, Tom Bradley.

Does this really make any sense? Paterno's wrongdoings did not actually have anything to do with the team winning or losing a game did they?

By Curtis Eichelberger - Jul 23, 2012 11:07 AM ..Bobby Bowden became the coach with the most victories at college football’s highest level. The former Florida State University coach gained the distinction with 377 wins after college sports’ governing body penalized Penn State University and Joe Paterno for their roles in a child sex-abuse scandal.

Paterno, who was identified as failing to take action after learning long-time defensive assistant Jerry Sandusky had been accused of sexual abuse, lost 111 of those victories to bring him to a total of 298. He was fired on Nov. 9, five days after Sandusky’s indictment, and Penn State won one game under his interim replacement, Tom Bradley.
Meaningless display of pompous assholes exercising their power to be assholes. Bowden's record should have a footnote that says Paterno actually had more wins.

Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.

Paterno's record should remain. He was the coach with the most wins. Nothing can change history.

I think the school should be fined but to take away their wins is not punishing anyone but the Football players who played those games and deserved them. Paterno is dead so it doesnt affect him in anyway. So who are you hurting the Football players who did NOTHING to deserve this. Punish the people in involved not the ones who were not involved

Last edited:
Paterno's body should be dug up and dragged through the streets, and Sandusky's victims should be allowed to kick his corpse, and first in line should be the ones who were victimized after Paterno was told about Sandusky's rape of a child in his locker room.

Meaningless display of pompous assholes exercising their power to be assholes. Bowden's record should have a footnote that says Paterno actually had more wins.

The only footnote in the record should be that Paterno put football ahead of raped children. All other mentions of Paterno's name should be stricken.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I think the school should be fined but to take away their wins is not punishing anyone but the Football players who played those games and deserved them. Paterno is dead so it doesnt affect him in anyway. So who are you hurting the Football players who did NOTHING to deserve this. Punish the people in involved not the ones who were not involved

They're taking the victories away from JoePa - I'm not sure they're taking the victories away from the school.

those wins were his legacy and made him the winningest coach in football.
They were taken away to diminish his legacy...as they should have been.

As for the players......they didnt lose anything...they still have the memories of the games played and the memories of the wins.

• Banned
[Meaningless display of pompous assholes exercising their power to be assholes. Bowden's record should have a footnote that says Paterno actually had more wins.

Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.

Paterno's record should remain. He was the coach with the most wins. Nothing can change history.

This is not like pete rose. Pete violated rules of the game and it's right to keep him out of the hall though it would be stupid to take away his hitting records as his infractions had nothing to do with his hitting.

• Banned
[

Rewriting history to diminish someone's legacy is a bad idea.

[

Rewriting history to diminish someone's legacy is a bad idea.
I agree. A stern punishment of two coaches, each losing his job was enough. Taking away from Penn State was the wrong thing to do. If I were an alumni of Penn State, and I had the capital, I'd take it all the way to the Supreme Court to get this hot-headed and idiotic ruling reversed.

I'd go a little easier on Joe Paterno. He went down trying to save his school from everlasting disgrace. The only other thing he could have done would have been to murder Sandusky for his crime, and I bet he wanted to but resisted the urge.

This ruling is not fair to those who took that pigskin over the line and blocked field goals, and stopped the opposition.

If I were Florida State University, I would decline this particular "honor." It's no honor to take away laurels students of another University earned by hard work, sweat, obedience, and faith in themselves.

To throw manure on the innocent players who were also students as well as young American citizens, and quite accomplished ones at that, is too sick for words.

God, I hate this scenario.

Last edited:
Still mulling my opinion a bit... On the one hand, the punishment does seem to punish students. On the other, a REALLY strong message needed to be sent. In future, it's going to be very difficult for universities to choose to protect their reputations instead of their students. Paterno should've called the cops. He should've seen that Sandusky was fired.

At the bottom line, he chose to hand the problem off, to protect the school rather than to protect the kids. His legacy is forfeit on that decision, and rightly so. As tempting as it is to forgive an otherwise nice guy for one terrible choice... nice guys don't tolerate child molesters.

Paterno's body should be dug up and dragged through the streets, and Sandusky's victims should be allowed to kick his corpse, and first in line should be the ones who were victimized after Paterno was told about Sandusky's rape of a child in his locker room.

The only footnote in the record should be that Paterno put football ahead of raped children. All other mentions of Paterno's name should be stricken.

"Take him away.

Do not look upon him.

He is a traitor to the children.

Let the name of Paterno be stricken from every book and tablet...

stricken from all pylons and obelisks,stricken from every monument of Penn St.

Let the name of Paterno be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of men........for all time.

So it shall be written, so it shall be done."

It's a good move.

The reason why they didn't turn Sandusky in was because it would have hurt the football program. By taking the wins away, it hurts the football program retroactively, and acts as a deterrent to those who would turn a blind eye to heinous crimes. Paterno benefited from the crimes. You don't allow those who covered up the crime to benefit from that crime.

FTR, the NCAA stripped Bowden of 14 wins because of a cheating scandal for which he had no knowledge, the theory being that had the players been caught, they would have been expelled. Because Bowden benefited from the players being on his team, he was stripped of the wins, even though he had no knowledge of the scandal. So the NCAA had no choice.

Also, the argument that the punishment hurts innocent people, punishment always hurts innocent people is a false one. A business owner and father who murders and goes to prison hurts his wife, children and employees, even though they are all innocent. Yet, nobody argues we shouldn't punish a murderer because it might negatively effect innocent others.

Coaches that stay forever at one school will get more wins.

IMO - Ara P at Notre Dame and John McKay at USC (both short coachingstints) were better than both Paterno or Bowden.

freedombecki said:
I'd go a little easier on Joe Paterno. He went down trying to save his school from everlasting disgrace. The only other thing he could have done would have been to murder Sandusky for his crime, and I bet he wanted to but resisted the urge.

2384474ijie8e5jxi.jpg

Ever hear of the police?

Paterno died before being granted a fair trial

Forum List

Back