PAT SAJAK: What Hollywood Really Cares About

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
Snip...

At a dinner party in Washington the other night, I was asked a question I’m often asked. No, not, “Can I buy a vowel?” but, rather, “Why is Hollywood so uniformly made up of liberal Democrats?”

There are a lot of theories on the subject, and I have a few of my own. First, I would strongly argue with the premise. My industry is certainly made up predominantly of liberal Democrats, but there is a surprising number found on the other side of the political spectrum. Lots of writers, producers, directors and performers are quite conservative in their views, but you don’t hear from them as much or as noisily as you do from the left. Part of it, sadly, is the fear that they’ll suffer professionally if they’re “outed”, and a number of them have stories to tell about being confronted on the issue.

Snip...

This part I thought was particularly interesting...

They are financially successful in ways most people can scarcely imagine; their whims are treated as commands; outrageous or boorish behavior is condoned; they travel in limos and fly (often privately) between their multiple homes; they hobnob with politicians who come to them for advice and input (and money); the glamour of their business rubs off on them and gives them access and a sense of importance and wisdom.

PAT SAJAK: What Hollywood Really Cares About - FoxNews.com

But more important for those who care what a game show host says is,

WHAT DOES VANNA THINK????????????

The thought of it makes me completely mental, I must say! :lol:

You can't find a more decent guy than Pat, you know...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Banned
But more important for those who care what a game show host says is,

WHAT DOES VANNA THINK????????????

Don't know...

Lets all buy her book and find out...or not..:lol:

From the Book Jacket

At last! After years of silence on Wheel of Fortune, VANNA SPEAKS! The game show beauty who “turns letters for a living” has taken the country by storm. But what's she really like? Golden girl Vanna White tells you in her own words how she made it from smalltown cheerleader to big time celebrity, to capture the American dream.

Vanna Speaks, by Vanna White

Snip...

At a dinner party in Washington the other night, I was asked a question I’m often asked. No, not, “Can I buy a vowel?” but, rather, “Why is Hollywood so uniformly made up of liberal Democrats?”

There are a lot of theories on the subject, and I have a few of my own. First, I would strongly argue with the premise. My industry is certainly made up predominantly of liberal Democrats, but there is a surprising number found on the other side of the political spectrum. Lots of writers, producers, directors and performers are quite conservative in their views, but you don’t hear from them as much or as noisily as you do from the left. Part of it, sadly, is the fear that they’ll suffer professionally if they’re “outed”, and a number of them have stories to tell about being confronted on the issue.

Snip...

They are financially successful in ways most people can scarcely imagine; their whims are treated as commands; outrageous or boorish behavior is condoned; they travel in limos and fly (often privately) between their multiple homes; they hobnob with politicians who come to them for advice and input (and money); the glamour of their business rubs off on them and gives them access and a sense of importance and wisdom.

I have often thought that most actors need to feel a sense of importance because the business they are in and the work they do only lets them pretend to be something they are not. They have inflated egos based upon false pretenses and need to justify their worthiness by trying to sound intelligent and benevolent. Some of them are benevolent from what I read. It does make one feel good/worthy to help others, for a fact, and that is for real. :)

Last edited:
  • Banned
Snip...

Snip...

I have often thought that most actors need to feel a sense of importance because the business they are in and the work they do only lets them only pretend to be something they are not. They have inflated egos based upon false pretenses and need to justify their worthiness by trying to sound intelligent and benevolent. Some of them are benevolent from what I read. It does make one feel good/worthy to help others, for a fact, and that is for real. :)

Could it also be because a lot of today's stars were also born into that life style and don't really relate to the rest of the world? I would think being surrounded by "yes" men all of the time would make anyone pretty self centered. Although... on the up side they do have a lot of money to donate to good causes and a big name or "brand" to draw attention to certain charities that they may support (that's a plus).

Snip...

Snip...

I have often thought that most actors need to feel a sense of importance because the business they are in and the work they do only lets them only pretend to be something they are not. They have inflated egos based upon false pretenses and need to justify their worthiness by trying to sound intelligent and benevolent. Some of them are benevolent from what I read. It does make one feel good/worthy to help others, for a fact, and that is for real. :)

Could it also be because a lot of today's stars were also born into that life style and don't really relate to the rest of the world? I would think being surrounded by "yes" men all of the time would make anyone pretty self centered. Although... on the up side they do have a lot of money to donate to good causes and a big name or "brand" to draw attention to certain charities that they may support (that's a plus).

Born into wealth could be one reason but don't think most are. I think they have too much money and can't justify it all with making an honest living as they do live in a make-believe world and are placed upon a high pedestal by the public and the ppl they employ. They are in effect, children. *Armchair analysis only*:lol:

Born into wealth could be one reason but don't think most are. I think they have too much money and can't justify it all with making an honest living as they do live in a make-believe world and are placed upon a high pedestal by the public and the ppl they employ. They are in effect, children. *Armchair analysis only*:lol:

I would think that being in the entertainment industry would require a little bit of an eccentric personality anyway. Maybe that part of their personality just gets magnified when in the spotlight. I think they even have a word for the tendency of famous people to believe others are paying closer attention to their words and actions than people really actually are. "The spotlight effect".

I would think that being in the entertainment industry would require a little bit of an eccentric personality anyway. Maybe that part of their personality just gets magnified when in the spotlight. I think they even have a word for the tendency of famous people to believe others are paying closer attention to their words and actions than people really actually are. "The spotlight effect".

That is possible, although I have read too many times that many actors especially, were very shy and introverted when they were in school at any grade-level, and by entering into a business where they can go outside of themselves and be someone they aren't ( acting ) they then become "somebody." :)

That is possible, although I have read too many times that many actors especially, were very shy and introverted when they were in school at any grade-level, and by entering into a business where they can go outside of themselves and be someone they aren't ( acting ) they then become "somebody." :)

That sort of makes sense. Kind of like throwing yourself out of your comfort zone to confront your fears. A confidence builder.

Forum List

Back