Pat Robertson, WHAT A MORON

dmp said:
Was it in The Netherlands a Pastor was jailed for preaching about the sinful and destructive nature of homosexuality?

:(
That'll be in the case in the USA soon enough.
While he has the right to say whatever he wants, I don't think he has the right to be unscrutinized. Especially with his history. There is nothing wrong with questioning the sanity of that man. Nowhere else on TV could someone get away with saying something like that; I don't see why he gets any more leniency just because he owns his own station. If you're going to broadcast your opinion out to the world, you're also signing up for criticism of it.

That's a far cry from jailing preachers who speak out against homosexuality.

The ClayTaurus said:
While he has the right to say whatever he wants, I don't think he has the right to be unscrutinized. Especially with his history. There is nothing wrong with questioning the sanity of that man. Nowhere else on TV could someone get away with saying something like that; I don't see why he gets any more leniency just because he owns his own station. If you're going to broadcast your opinion out to the world, you're also signing up for criticism of it.

Did you read what he said? Say GWB has a stroke. If Nancy Pelosi said something like it, she'd be praised for her courage.

dmp said:
Did you read what he said? Say GWB has a stroke. If Nancy Pelosi said something like it, she'd be praised for her courage.
That doesn't mean it's right. She would be in the same "idiot" category that Robertson is in my mind. I don't know why you justify what he did by using liberal irresponsibility as some sort of get-out-of-jail-free card. If you want to talk about the reaction to what he's saying being exaggerated, then fine. That doesn't change the fact that he loosely insinuated God was punishing Sharon.

The ClayTaurus said:
That doesn't mean it's right. She would be in the same "idiot" category that Robertson is in my mind. I don't know why you justify what he did by using liberal irresponsibility as some sort of get-out-of-jail-free card. If you want to talk about the reaction to what he's saying being exaggerated, then fine. That doesn't change the fact that he loosely insinuated God was punishing Sharon.

I'm not justifying anything - except trying to get people to calm the hell down and actually read what Pat said. It's not THAT big of a deal.

dmp said:
I'm not justifying anything - except trying to get people to calm the hell down and actually read what Pat said. It's not THAT big of a deal.
I read what he said. I don't think it's a big deal. I do think Robertson believes Sharon is being punished, and I think it's irresponsible to say it on the air. I think it gives bad publicity to Christians. And, I think given his recent track record, he deserves an increased amount of scrutiny.

People are overreacting to it, and there are bigger fish to fry, certainly. Doesn't change what he said, or make it more or less acceptable.

The ClayTaurus said:

IMO, he needs to temper his right to say what he wants with the knowledge that his every word IS scrutinized and dishonestly used by the anti-religion crowd as representative of what Christians believe in general.

Forum List

Back