Pat Robertson: "I Was Misinterpreted. Yeah, That's It, That's The Ticket"

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Conservative U.S. evangelist Pat Robertson, who called for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, said on Wednesday he was misinterpreted and there were a number of ways to "take him out" including kidnapping.

"I said our special forces could take him out. Take him out could be a number of things including kidnapping," Robertson said on his "The 700 Club" television program.

"There are a number of ways of taking out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted," Robertson added.

Robertson, the founder of the Christian Coalition and a presidential candidate in 1988, said on Monday of Chavez, one of Bush's most vocal critics: "If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it."

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability." He made the comments during his "The 700 Club" television program.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Tuesday dismissed Robertson's remarks, but the White House remained silent despite calls for repudiation from Venezuela and religious leaders including the Rev. Jesse Jackson. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack called "without fact and baseless" any ideas of hostile action against Chavez or Venezuela.

The leftist Chavez has often accused the United States of plotting his overthrow or assassination. Alongside Cuban President Fidel Castro in Havana on Sunday, Chavez scoffed at the idea that he and Castro were destabilizing troublemakers.

Chavez survived a short-lived coup in 2002 that he says was backed by the United States. Washington denies involvement.

Venezuelan officials said Robertson's remarks, while those of a private citizen, took on more significance given his ties to President George W. Bush's Christian-right supporters.

"Mr Robertson has been one of this president's staunchest allies. His statement demands the strongest condemnation by the White House," Venezuela's ambassador to the United States Bernardo Alvarez said.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/24/MTFH81183_2005-08-24_16-59-47_SCH362917.html

US evangelist apologizes for Chavez remarks
Aug 24 4:29 PM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Conservative U.S. evangelist Pat Robertson apologized on Wednesday for calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, saying he spoke in frustration earlier in the week.

"Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."

The leftist Chavez, one of President George W. Bush's harshest critics, has often accused the United States of plotting his overthrow or assassination. U.S. officials said this week the idea of hostile action against him was "without fact and baseless."

Robertson, the founder of the Christian Coalition and a leader of the Christian right that has provided strong support for Bush, said on Monday of Chavez's fears: "If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it."

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," he said on his "The 700 Club" television program.

His earlier remarks, said the leader of the world's fifth largest oil exporter was a "terrific danger" to the United States and Chavez intended to become "the launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism."

Robertson said that while he was criticized by U.S. political and religious leaders, he found the attention he wanted for what he said was "a growing problem which has largely been ignored." Earlier in the day he said his remarks had been misinterpreted and "take him out" could refer to kidnapping.

Rest of story:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/24/MTFH85487_2005-08-24_20-37-45_SCH362917.html

When you make your living off of words and talking to people you should be able to use them more intelligently than Pat is capable of.

nucular said:
When you make your living off of words and talking to people you should be able to use them more intelligently than Pat is capable of.

LOL the lesson here is it's not always wise to speak every thought that crosses one's mind...Somethings should be kept to oneself.

We really do have a problem with Chavez and maybe the state dept should look at it more seriously than they have?

I have always thought that guys like Robertson, who prey on the less fortunate, give Christians a bad rep. These guys that have full page color ads in the newspaper for their Sunday morning shows are reprehensible.Their name is usually in the largest type on the church sign and they are the star. They need to reread the first Commandment.
The Lakewood church in Houston with TV evangelist star Joel Osteen just moved into the former Compac Center where the Rockets used to play. They spent 95 million dollars just to renovate the place and he now appears on 2 different television channels. The "church" seats 16 thousand and is sold out for both shows every Sunday. 95 MILLION DOLLARS for renovations! There is a huge dove on the front of the building but no sign of a cross. I see nothing that resembles a church.They do seem to put out some positive messages in their speeches but it always comes back to the big hand out for money.Conservative estimates are $500,000 ++ per week in contributions.These guys use God's name to get rich and don't pay a penny in taxes. They are drunk with power and end up getting a world stage to say the dumbest things I have ever heard.It would really be interesting to see where they end up and who they get to be accountable to. :dev1:

Not that I have any love for Robertson, but I would like to make a point.

We "took out" Samoza and Saddam without killing them. I guess it all boils down to what he actually said; which, having not seen the transcripts nor heard what he said, I have no way of knowing one way or the other.

He said, "If he thinks we are going to assisinate him then I think we should just go ahead and do it."

After that remark he continued to say, "We should just take him out."

After he made the equivocating statement where he said he was misinterpreted, he released a simple apology stating, "Nobody should be assisinated."

no1tovote4 said:
He said, "If he thinks we are going to assisinate him then I think we should just go ahead and do it."

After that remark he continued to say, "We should just take him out."

After he made the equivocating statement where he said he was misinterpreted, he released a simple apology stating, "Nobody should be assisinated."

I'm not surprised. He gets kookier as time goes by.

Still you have to respect a man that admits directly when he has made a mistake.

First he said something, then tried to slip out of it with weaselspeak. He then, finally, "manned up" and simply admitted to it, said he was sorry and that it was a mistake.

It took a bit for him to get there but the destination has to be observed and applauded.

no1tovote4 said:
Still you have to respect a man that admits directly when he has made a mistake.

First he said something, then tried to slip out of it with weaselspeak. He then, finally, "manned up" and simply admitted to it, said he was sorry and that it was a mistake.

It took a bit for him to get there but the destination has to be observed and applauded.

I missed that, did he tear up, that's usually good for an extra million in donations over a regular apology. I really don't see where he had any choice.
He was on worldwide news saying that a leader of a country that has our proverbial nuts in their hands(we buy 1 million 300 thousand barrels a day of our oil from Venezuela)should get assasinated by a squad from the United States. Whether it is a good idea or not it took a Bill Clinton-like lack of common sense to state it on his television show. I do agree with the weasel label, no offense to weasels everywhere. :dev1:

Hey no1, where is that Ayn Rand quote from? Two of my favorite books of all time are The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

sitarro said:
Hey no1, where is that Ayn Rand quote from? Two of my favorite books of all time are The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

It is from Atlas Shrugged.

Here it is in larger context:

“Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?” said Dr. Ferris. “We want them broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against - then you'll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now, that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.” ~Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Here is another of my favorites from Atlas Shrugged:

Today, when a concerted effort is made to obliterate this point, it cannot be repeated too often that the Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals -- that it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government -- that it is not a charter _for_ government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection _against_ the government. Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged

Keep this one simple...

Conservative, Conservative, conservative! Convert to "Conservative Christianity" or be killed.

Thanks Pat for reminding America of what conservative christians really think of "the rest".

hylandrdet said:
Keep this one simple...

Conservative, Conservative, conservative! Convert to "Conservative Christianity" or be killed.

Thanks Pat for reminding America of what conservative christians really think of "the rest".

thanks hy for reminding us of what the left thinks of communist tyranny. You love it. We know.

no1tovote4 said:
Here is another of my favorites from Atlas Shrugged:

Today, when a concerted effort is made to obliterate this point, it cannot be repeated too often that the Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals -- that it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government -- that it is not a charter _for_ government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection _against_ the government. Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged

Thanks no1,
Now I'm going to have to read that book again. Did you ever see the movie version of The Fountainhead? The critics hated it but I enjoyed it . Of couese it wasn't the book but what film is? :thup:

thats the basic problem with politics however.

When politicians "avoid" questions, we all complain, but then when they are blatantly honest as Pat was, we complain.

You KNOW he only said what alot of others would like to be able to.

Personally, except that the guy was elected, if they have another election, then they can remove him, that wasnt the case with saddam. Im not up on the events there with Chavez, but if he did come into power by force and i;s a brutal dictator aka saddam, I wouldnt have any problem with having him assasinated.

hylandrdet said:
Keep this one simple...

From "lets assasinate a Communist dictator" you derive that what he really means is "lets have everyone convert to Christianity or die."

I swear there should be a study about what warped processes your liberal minds carry out. Is it genetic? Or is all the doom and gloom, woe is me, those-scary-christers-are-after-me, just getting to you after a few years?

LuvRPgrl said:
thats the basic problem with politics however.

When politicians "avoid" questions, we all complain, but then when they are blatantly honest as Pat was, we complain.

You KNOW he only said what alot of others would like to be able to.

Are you saying that Pat is a politician? I know he attempted at one point, but mainly he portrays himself as a preacher. I may be wrong, but I expect politicians to lie, whereas I expect religious leaders to stay true to their religion.

sitarro said:
Thanks no1,
Now I'm going to have to read that book again. Did you ever see the movie version of The Fountainhead? The critics hated it but I enjoyed it . Of couese it wasn't the book but what film is? :thup:

No, I haven't seen it but I am sure I would enjoy it as well. I haven't thought of it in quite some time. I will have to get me a copy.

Forum List

Back