Pat Robertson......Divorce is okay!

I imagine is must be very difficult to deal with someone you love who has advanced Alzheimers, particularly if your partner no longer even knows who you are.

Now imagine that you're still healthy, still mentally alert and still ready for life, but your former loved one is no longer even there mentally.

Think about spending the last couple decades of your life married to somebody who is drooling, in a constant state of confusion and anxiety, and completely unmanagable. The person still looks like somebody you once loved, but that person really no longer exists.

Is divorce under those circumstances really such a bad thing?

People divorce for far less significant reasons than that, don't they?

yes it really is a bad thing....since when does love only exist when the person is healthy? what kind of low life abandons their partner who has been dedicated to them their entire life when they become ill? I can understand divorce for abuse or for infidelity but not for alzheimers...what kind of scum bag abandons a partner for either cancer or other serious illnesses? And who would want to marry someone like that?

I'm just wondering why a supposed leader of the Christian community states it's okay to divorce someone (and uses the most bullshit rationalizations), yet most of the Christian community doesn't even squeak once about this.

I suppose you guys think the Westboro Baptist church is okay as well?

Perhaps he isn't as big a leader of the Christian community as you seem to think.

I imagine is must be very difficult to deal with someone you love who has advanced Alzheimers, particularly if your partner no longer even knows who you are.

Now imagine that you're still healthy, still mentally alert and still ready for life, but your former loved one is no longer even there mentally.

Think about spending the last couple decades of your life married to somebody who is drooling, in a constant state of confusion and anxiety, and completely unmanagable. The person still looks like somebody you once loved, but that person really no longer exists.

yes it really is a bad thing....since when does love only exist when the person is healthy? what kind of low life abandons their partner who has been dedicated to them their entire life when they become ill? I can understand divorce for abuse or for infidelity but not for alzheimers...what kind of scum bag abandons a partner for either cancer or other serious illnesses? And who would want to marry someone like that?

Sadly, there are lots of men like that.

I'm just wondering why a supposed leader of the Christian community states it's okay to divorce someone (and uses the most bullshit rationalizations), yet most of the Christian community doesn't even squeak once about this.

Perhaps he isn't as big a leader of the Christian community as you seem to think.

If I've learned anything over the past ten years, it's that if any member of a religious group does something crazy, everyone in the group has to say it's bad or it means they supported it.

Sadly, there are lots of men like that.

There are a lot of people like that, men and women, but yeah, it's pretty darn scummy.

If I've learned anything over the past ten years, it's that if any member of a religious group does something crazy, everyone in the group has to say it's bad or it means they supported it.

I sure haven't learned that. I guess I'm a slow learner that way.

What happened to 'in sickness and in health'????

The same thing that happened to having the personal integrity to honor ones vows. It became inconvenient to selfish people.

Over the years, I have seel a LOT of people have to detach themselves from their mentally ill relatives out of the sheer need for survival. They suffer untold agony when they do this. I've seen it.

I recall hearing about Robertson and his declaration about this. I think it stems from the number of people who go out and have affairs while the demented spouse goes through a 10 - 20 year dying process.

It is difficult to quantify and compare a parent having to detach from the mentally ill child who is sucking the life out of him/her with the spouse who voluntarily entered into a written contract, and took a vow to remain married 'for better or worse, in sickness and in health, til death do us part.'

I realize that both are somehow ambushed, but we all expect that our children will grow into responsible people, and that our siblings will as well. We live longer now, and I think we certainly can entertain the possibility that one's spouse will become demented. But what about the contract? Is it over when that person is no longer of use?

Many years ago, I cared for a young dying husband until he died. Not long after, a guy I once worked for ditched his wife of 15 years or so when she was diagnosed with a terminal illness. It was then that I realized that there are a lot of different kinds of people in the world, and a lot of different deals in these marriages.

How long, now has Robertson been a demented blithering idiot? ??? :cuckoo:

"Through sickness and health".....some people don't understand this :(

What happened to 'in sickness and in health'????

The same thing that happened to having the personal integrity to honor ones vows. It became inconvenient to selfish people.

Over the years, I have seel a LOT of people have to detach themselves from their mentally ill relatives out of the sheer need for survival. They suffer untold agony when they do this. I've seen it.

I recall hearing about Robertson and his declaration about this. I think it stems from the number of people who go out and have affairs while the demented spouse goes through a 10 - 20 year dying process.

It is difficult to quantify and compare a parent having to detach from the mentally ill child who is sucking the life out of him/her with the spouse who voluntarily entered into a written contract, and took a vow to remain married 'for better or worse, in sickness and in health, til death do us part.'

I realize that both are somehow ambushed, but we all expect that our children will grow into responsible people, and that our siblings will as well. We live longer now, and I think we certainly can entertain the possibility that one's spouse will become demented. But what about the contract? Is it over when that person is no longer of use?

Many years ago, I cared for a young dying husband until he died. Not long after, a guy I once worked for ditched his wife of 15 years or so when she was diagnosed with a terminal illness. It was then that I realized that there are a lot of different kinds of people in the world, and a lot of different deals in these marriages.

How long, now has Robertson been a demented blithering idiot? ??? :cuckoo:

I knew a family that lost their daughter when she was still very young and as she passed away in the hospital her mother couldn't hold her during her last minutes, it was too difficult. I was devastated at the thought of a child passing without the mother's touch, without her closest presence possible... but I respect the mother's decision do so and though I could not necessarily understand it doesn't mean that some people must detach themselves in such ways.

Fool that I am, I'm crying at just the memory.

I sure haven't learned that. I guess I'm a slow learner that way.

Listen, I'm just trying to make sure everyone is held to the same standard.

Forum List

Back