Pat Buchanan on John McCain

Anyone who thinks Obama is not ambitious needs to think again.

dillo, I honestly wouldn't have agreed with this before tonight. I watched Obama revealed and it really was an eye opening piece.

Obama clearly is VERY ambitious and clearly sought on the spotlight on the national stage. I hope and think he's doing it from a place of pure conviction to make this country a better place but like any politician he could have reasons that are less alturistic than that. I don't really give a crap about his motivation as long as he carries out what he's promised.

and I'd honestly vote for anyone before I'd vote for McCain cuz I watched his reveal too and it showed that he's just as, if not more, motivated by ambition than Obama.

dillo, I honestly wouldn't have agreed with this before tonight. I watched Obama revealed and it really was an eye opening piece.

Obama clearly is VERY ambitious and clearly sought on the spotlight on the national stage. I hope and think he's doing it from a place of pure conviction to make this country a better place but like any politician he could have reasons that are less alturistic than that. I don't really give a crap about his motivation as long as he carries out what he's promised.

and I'd honestly vote for anyone before I'd vote for McCain cuz I watched his reveal too and it showed that he's just as, if not more, motivated by ambition than Obama.

Go for it----I'm done picking the lesser of two evils. It doesn't help.

Faulting ANYONE as too ambitious who is running for POTUS is rather like faulting swimmers for getting wet.

Faulting ANYONE as too ambitious who is running for POTUS is rather like faulting swimmers for getting wet.

I agree -in order to run for that job, a person must be BURNING UP with ambition. It is a given in Presidential candidates. Why else would anyone in their right mind go through such a grueling process that is so harsh and often incredibly destructive to the candidate?

The first Bush once wrote (I think in one of his memoirs) that before he was elected, he believed he was destined to be President. At first he was criticized for that, some accusing him of great hubris etc. But when asked what he thought of that, Clinton said if a person didn't believe that -then what the heck was he doing running for President in the first place? So the incredible level of ambition they all have is certainly understood among Presidential candidates themselves.

Does Obama have a burning ambition to be President that rivals his opponent's as well as other past Presidential candidates? Of course he does. His life story is all about that ambition. Some people act like ambition in a Presidential candidate is some kind of character flaw when it isn't. Everyone requires some level of ambition just to achieve most goals in life. If a person's goal is the ultimate seat of power in the world -then the individual who wants to be sitting in that seat MUST have a matching level of ambition just in order to deal with the very negative trade-offs. A relentless and exhausting schedule, so many stops and repeating the same speech over and over that faces and cities are one big blur, hearing nonstop criticism from the other side directed at them and their family members, nonstop criticism from everything from policy positions, past jobs and past acts and even about what their wife chose to wear that day. Stuff like having their family's privacy destroyed, living under the microscope of the media, past failings and nasty little secrets exposed for the whole world to gossip about - and dealing with an opponent who wants that same seat. And has at least as much burning ambition to win it as they do and willing to go through the very same grueling process.

New Topics

Forum List

Back