Pat Buchanan on John McCain

Silence

wanna lick?
Aug 26, 2008
FL
when Pat Buchanan thinks you're an angry man you're in trouble

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7FosM6nmo4&feature=related]YouTube - Pat Buchanan - McCain Bellicose Red Faced Angry Guy[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQar1Pp-vZg&feature=related]YouTube - Pat Buchanan:"McCain will make Cheney look like Gandhi"[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCnjBrueji4&feature=related]YouTube - Buchanan calls McCain "Bush on steroids"[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytzWNJlAk-k&feature=related]YouTube - John McCain Will Bring Us More War[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Dd-yg2A4E&feature=related]YouTube - Pat Buchanan on the John McCain Platform[/ame]

You know things are bad when the man who got his ass handed to him on a platter by Bob Dole is calling you out.

Nice find Silence :D

Well, yes its a good find. And yes... and no about Buchanan being plattered by Bob Dole. I personally dislike Buchanan's poltics. And he was always so extreme he had limited appeal to voters (notwithstanding the thousands of votes he ostensibly got from a bunch of old jews in Boca in 2000, but that's another story).

However, Pat Buchanan is a brilliant tactician. Has one of the best minds for politics I've ever seen. Listening to him on Scarborough or debating with Rachel Maddow is actually one of my guilty pleasures.

So is he correct? Might be. Or he could be responding to McCain's intended policies of more deeply involving us as the world's police... that never sits well with Pat.

He seems to have calmed down from his nutter ways since stepping out of political life and turning his attention to analysis of those in poltical life. I find his observations to be quite honest most of the time, even when I don't like what he's just said about someone I support.

Even though he is still one of Nixon's cronies, he is finally coming to his senses. McCain is much worse than Bush. He knows little or almost nothing about correcting economic policy, and he has a poor temperament to work across the party lines. I question McCain's mental stability from his captivity. He thinks Bush has done a great job over the last eight years. McCain changes his opinion depending on what crowd he is in front of. He is a maverick only in name, but not in action. He is dangerous to the stability of the middle east and Russia, and Iran. His staff is made up of the largest lobbyists in Washington. He is a hypocrite and can't be trusted. A McCain in office would be a huge disaster!:eusa_whistle:

This is something I thought I would never find a bunch of apparent liberals praising Buchanan. He's pissed off at Mccain because Mccain isn't conservative enough for his liking I am sure. But if MCcain was there wouldn't be a need for this thread.

This is something I thought I would never find a bunch of apparent liberals praising Buchanan. He's pissed off at Mccain because Mccain isn't conservative enough for his liking I am sure. But if MCcain was there wouldn't be a need for this thread.

You shouldn't be so surprised.

I've been praising Pat Buchannan as one of the best political minds in America on this board ever since I got here.

Buchannan is an old time Republican, so naturally many liberals like myself find much of what he says to our liking.

Old time Republicans (say of about the mid 60s variety) are unabashed nationalists, non-interventionists, fiscal conservatives, and against things like FREE TRADE.

Today's average liberal would have been very comfortable with many of the basic tenents of yesterday's Republican Party.

Both the REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC PARTY have moved to the right but many of the grass roots Republicans and Democrats have not.

And Secrets? Don't believe the blather about Buchannan being so radical as his own party portrayed him when he was running for office.

I no more believe the charges his own party made against him (that he's a NAZI sympathizer) than I believe Jillian or I are NAZI sympathizers.

Pat asked the question: "Is our affection for Israel really good for America?", and that's pretty much all it takes for some elments of our society to label one an anti-semite.

Oh, I totally disagree with Pat when he makes the claim that we could have come to some modus vivendi with Hitler in the late 1930's, but I do not think his motivation for making that claim is based on any hatred he has for Jews.

Pat does think outside the box, sometimes, no doubt about it.

But I think he's a patriot of this nation first and foremost.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be so surprised.

I've been praising Pat Buchannan as one of the best political minds in America on this board ever since I got here.

Buchannan is an old time Republican, so naturally many liberals like myself find much of what he says to our liking.

Old time Republicans (say of about the mid 60s variety) are unabashed nationalists, non-interventionists, fiscal conservatives, and against things like FREE TRADE.

Today's average liberal would have been very comfortable with many of the basic tenents of yesterday's Republican Party.

Both the REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC PARTY have moved to the right but many of the grass roots Republicans and Democrats have not.

And Secrets? Don't believe the blather about Buchannan being so radical as his own party portrayed him when he was running for office.

I no more believe the charges his own party made against him (that he's a NAZI sympathizer) than I believe Jillian or I are NAZI sympathizers.

Joe Biden said it best very recently.

"This is not your father's republican party."

And for the record, I do like hearing Pat talk on TV these days. He's gotten much better over the years in my opinion.

I have actually been told by a few of my Republican friends that they think I'm a closet republican because I do actually believe many of the traditionally republican platforms are good.

That is the not republican party we are dealing with today though.

Keep in mind Democrats used to be the bible thumping conservatives and Republicans used to be the liberals. Somewhere along the way the script got flipped and role reversed.

Joe Biden said it best very recently.

"This is not your father's republican party."

Of you fathers' Democratic Party, for that matter, agreed?

And for the record, I do like hearing Pat talk on TV these days. He's gotten much better over the years in my opinion.

I often wonder whether Pat's gotten smarter, or simply that I've gotten smarter enough to understand what he's been saying all along?

Some day I'l have to do a retrospective study of his earlier speeches to see if they still annoy me as much as they once did.

I am slowly (oh, SO slowly) finding myself somewhat more sympathetic to NiXXon's policies as I come to understand them better (or in many casdes AT ALL!)

I suspect (no, I know) that back in the day, I simply dismissed everything that NiXXon did, because I so disliked his policies in Vietnam.

Given that Pat was NiXXons speechwriter, I presume an older, and (hopefully) better informed editec will find Pat's earlier musing more sympathetic, as well.

Well, if Pat Buchanan doesn't like McCain then I'm even more sold. Pat Buchanan is a nit wit kook.

that's the thing!

many of the old school republicans hate mccain...and they hate palin too.

they both have stood up to the entrenched corruption. :clap2:

he's too ambitious.

ambitious? okay...but what does that mean? i'm not trying to give you a hard time, i just would really like to know what you mean by that...money, power, fame...ambitious for a legacy?

did you see cindy mccain speak the other night? i thought she was very impressive. at what point do we come full circle and stop being so darn cynical? america seems to have put itself on such a huge guilt trip or something, i don't know...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KQRLS9YwPM]YouTube - Cindy McCain's Full Speech at the RNC[/ame]

[YOUTUBE]1KQRLS9YwPM[/YOUTUBE]

ambitious? okay...but what does that mean? i'm not trying to give you a hard time, i just would really like to know what you mean by that...money, power, fame...ambitious for a legacy?

did you see cindy mccain speak the other night? i thought she was very impressive. at what point do we come full circle and stop being so darn cynical? america seems to have put itself on such a huge guilt trip or something, i don't know...

YouTube - Cindy McCain's Full Speech at the RNC

[YOUTUBE]1KQRLS9YwPM[/YOUTUBE]

It's the same reason I hate 99.9% of politicians. They want the popularity and fame and will do next to everything to get it. Anyone who thinks Obama is not ambitious needs to think again.
Cynicsm ? At least it's a sign that someone still cares. Just wait til we get to apathy.

when Pat Buchanan thinks you're an angry man you're in trouble

LOL -that Buchanan intensely dislikes McCain is no surprise to anyone who paid attention back in 1999 during the Republican primaries. No doubt the the level of dislike is mutual by now if it wasn't already.

Buchanan blames McCain for the STILL ongoing smear that he is a Nazi sympathizer -and I can't blame him either. It was a deliberate and nasty implication McCain put out there. He did it by taking Buchanan's remarks totally out of context and putting out a statement that pretended Buchanan meant something totally different. Bush has not only been victim to that stunt too many times to count but he did it to McCain during the very same primaries not too long after McCain did it to Buchanan. So McCain knows firsthand what its like to get hit with nasty crap put out by another guy. But no one did it as well as Clinton. Among many others, his massacre of Ken Starr was the work of a master -when that guy had an absolutely sterling reputation known for decades by BOTH parties for his impartiality and nonpartisanship in any legal proceedings. You sure didn't know that after Clinton got done with him though.

While running for the Republican nomination in 1999, Buchanan had an interview discussing military history. Buchanan said he did not believe there had been a real need for the US to enter WWll against Germany at the time we did because the US had waited so long that Britain had already effectively negated Germany as a threat to this country by then. (Some military historians agree with that, some do not but different argument.) He went on to say that by then, Japan posed a far greater threat to the US and perhaps could have been defeated earlier and with fewer casualties had the US not divided their forces between two fronts. His point was that the US should have either entered the war against Germany earlier than it did or not at all since by the time we got around to it, Europe no longer really needed our aid in defeating Hitler and dividing our forces between two fronts meant we lost more lives against Japan and took longer and used more drastic measures to defeat it. See any Nazi sympathizing in there? Anything suggesting going to war against Hitler was an ignoble effort? Me either.

But McCain put out a statement saying "based on his own rhetoric, Buchanan has obviously left the Republican Party. Defeating Nazi Germany and Tojo's Japan was a very noble cause. And I wouldn't want any Republican to ever think otherwise -or any American for that matter." The media went wild with the story, saying that "Buchanan believes the US should not have gone to war against Nazi Germany" and the like.

Immediately after that -Buchanan got tagged as a Nazy sympathizer and to this day the left still refers to him as a Nazi sympathizer although in his interview he wasn't expressing any sympathy for Nazis whatsoever but military strategy.

So given the fact that support for Buchanan dropped like a lead balloon after that and is still being smeared as a Nazi sympathizer to this very day, yeah I imagine he's pretty pissed off at McCain for that and takes great delight in trying to even up the score now.

Politicians with a grudge against each other over the spin or downright nasty implications they try to put on the words of the other guy aren't opinions I take into consideration. Why would I take Buchanan's opinion seriously when first of all, Buchanan's opinion isn't one I have much regard for anyway and second of all, he's got every reason to try and even an old score?

Forum List

Back