Pastor : I'll 'hold my nose,' vote for Mormon Romney

When equal protection and the rule of law lead to greater theft then they have nothing to do with liberty. Increasing taxes, which is the result of what you're advocating, doesn't protect liberty.

Selectively applying the law increases the power of the state. It might be counter-intuitive, but it's true.

Protection of religious liberty is one thing. I'm an American too and I don't have to see and hear tales about your ancient superstition. I hope we're not finished until public displays of that crap are gone forever.

That about sums up your position on Liberty for Anyone that is in disagreement with you. How tolerant of you, Fascist. Fuck Off. You want to censor something, start with yourself.
Why does my business have to pay taxes and religious organizations don't.

Because our government doesn't trust you, they don't think you would give to a charitable organization, so they take it from you and give it to those they feel will handle it better than you will.

I would say that if you have supporters using terms like "Holding my nose" to vote for him, that's not exactly a winning strategy, is it?

A ringing endorsement! :D

Protection of religious liberty is one thing. I'm an American too and I don't have to see and hear tales about your ancient superstition. I hope we're not finished until public displays of that crap are gone forever.

That about sums up your position on Liberty for Anyone that is in disagreement with you. How tolerant of you, Fascist. Fuck Off. You want to censor something, start with yourself.
Why does my business have to pay taxes and religious organizations don't.

Because your business is a for-profit business.

If your business was a nonprofit, it would be eligible for tax exempt status, religious or not.

The ACLU is a 501(c)3, so is the Red Cross, Amnesty International, The Sierra Club...and the list does on and on.

Remember that Pastor who supported Rick Perry a few months ago who started a bunch of media talk by calling Mormons a cult? Looks like he is voting for Romney now.

I thought it was interesting. Not sure if it's significant at all, but Interesting nonetheless.

Everyone should be voting for ROMNEY now--it's clear that Santorum or Gingrich have no possible way of collecting enough delegates--PLUS the far social right--Santorum and his EXTREME views are killing us with women.

The SOONER Santorum is out of this race the BETTER. They have already started their WAR ON WOMEN campaign. You'll note that MITT ROMNEY'S name is NOT mentioned in the below ad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfjAMRgpoug]GOP War On Women - YouTube[/ame]

Remember that Pastor who supported Rick Perry a few months ago who started a bunch of media talk by calling Mormons a cult? Looks like he is voting for Romney now.

I thought it was interesting. Not sure if it's significant at all, but Interesting nonetheless.

Everyone should be voting for ROMNEY now--it's clear that Santorum or Gingrich have no possible way of collecting enough delegates--PLUS the far social right--Santorum and his EXTREME views are killing us with women.

The SOONER Santorum is out of this race the BETTER. They have already started their WAR ON WOMEN campaign. You'll note that MITT ROMNEY'S name is NOT mentioned in the below ad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfjAMRgpoug]GOP War On Women - YouTube[/ame]

They must have something to run on because the democrats economical policy since 2007 have been a failure.

Oohhh. Goody. They'll totally leave him alone, then.

They won't even mention about Sexism in the Mormon Church and how a Morman woman can't get into the Celestial Heaven (that's the really good one) unless she's sealed to a Mormon man.

Look, I would like nothing better if the Republican Party got out of the "Sex Police" game. Not because abortion is really a good thing, but because as a practical matter, you can't actually ban it. An abortion ban will be about as effective as a prostitution ban.

The chickens have kind of come home to roost for the GOP. They've spent years playing on religious biases to get working class schlubs to vote against their own economic interests.

Do you really think Romney is going to win by saying, "Well, we're just running on the "Suck It, Peasants" platform. We ain't even going to talk about abortion and gays and God anymore. Were just about tax cuts for rich people and polo ponies now."

Yeah, that'll go over really well.

When equal protection and the rule of law lead to greater theft then they have nothing to do with liberty. Increasing taxes, which is the result of what you're advocating, doesn't protect liberty.

Selectively applying the law increases the power of the state. It might be counter-intuitive, but it's true.

Well we're just going to have to disagree on this one.

Why is it so difficult for people, especially politicians, to understand "Congress shall make no law"?

You honestly think the government is entitled under the constitution to punish people with a tax because they support a certain politician?

That's what government is all about - handing out special privileges and then revoking them if you step out of line.

If you're saying religions shouldn't get special privileges I'm with you.

Funny that avatar seems to be avoiding the issue.

WRONGO, Avatar.

501c3s that get involved in political campaigns lose their not-for profit status.

As well they should, I note.

Why is it so difficult for people, especially politicians, to understand "Congress shall make no law"?

You honestly think the government is entitled under the constitution to punish people with a tax because they support a certain politician?

It's not a punishment to take away a handout.

How is keeping one's own money a handout?

They won't even mention about Sexism in the Mormon Church and how a Morman woman can't get into the Celestial Heaven (that's the really good one) unless she's sealed to a Mormon man.

Look, I would like nothing better if the Republican Party got out of the "Sex Police" game. Not because abortion is really a good thing, but because as a practical matter, you can't actually ban it. An abortion ban will be about as effective as a prostitution ban.

The chickens have kind of come home to roost for the GOP. They've spent years playing on religious biases to get working class schlubs to vote against their own economic interests.

Do you really think Romney is going to win by saying, "Well, we're just running on the "Suck It, Peasants" platform. We ain't even going to talk about abortion and gays and God anymore. Were just about tax cuts for rich people and polo ponies now."

Yeah, that'll go over really well.

They wont mention stuff that's not true. Can't imagine why you think they should.

That's what government is all about - handing out special privileges and then revoking them if you step out of line.

If you're saying religions shouldn't get special privileges I'm with you.

Funny that avatar seems to be avoiding the issue.

Yes. Im avoiding the issue by continually pointing out that the Federal Government has to follow the First Amendment.

They wont mention stuff that's not true. Can't imagine why you think they should.

Why do you feel the need to lie about what your cult believes when the "gentiles' mention it, guy.

Here's a couple of blogs from Ex-Mormons that say this stuff is true.

Disillusioned Mormon: Sexism In The LDS Church

Sexism in the Mormon Church

Oh, right, they are all lying to make you look bad.

But how many prominant LDS women can you name who don't have their prominance through relationships with a Mormon Man?

Where are the independent "Mormon Women".

Where is the Mormon answer to Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann?

Anyone who thinks the Mormon Church is sexist shouldn't belong to that Church. To demand that the federal government do something about sexism in the Mormon Church is unconstitutional. To prevent a member of the Mormon Church from running for office is against the Constitution. To deny members of the clergy the right to vote is unconstitutional.

No wonder the left doesn't much like the Constitution.

Anyone who thinks the Mormon Church is sexist shouldn't belong to that Church. To demand that the federal government do something about sexism in the Mormon Church is unconstitutional. To prevent a member of the Mormon Church from running for office is against the Constitution. To deny members of the clergy the right to vote is unconstitutional.

No wonder the left doesn't much like the Constitution.

Oh, while I personally would like to throw up a fence around Utah and turn it into a giant cult deprogramming camp, this isn't really a constitutional issue.

Does a Mormon have a right to run for office. Yup. Unfortunately. Until we've debunked belief in sky pixies, we are just going to have to put up with the crazier sky worshippers showing up from time to time.

But does that mean we should ignore their crazy beliefs? Nope. That's part of the package.

If Santorum believes that abortion is wrong because a man in a dress in Rome says so, we should take that into account.

If RIck Perry believes we shouldn't teach evolution because a talking snake told a woman to eat an apple, we should take that into account.

if Barack Obama really thinks that God was punishing us with 9-11 like Reverand Wright said he was because of our various sins, we should take that into account.

If Mitt Romney thinks that dark skin is a curse from God, He's going to rule a planet in the afterlife, and that his magic underwear protects him from harm, we should take that into account.

Until we have the good sense to start electing Atheists who don't bring these fairy tales along with them, we ought to examine how the fairy tales effect their thinking.

Yes. Im avoiding the issue by continually pointing out that the Federal Government has to follow the First Amendment.

But you seem to be interpreting the First to grant special privileges to religion, and that's what we're saying is the problem. The tax exempt status of religious institutions is a violation of the First Amendment, not a valid implementation of it. It's special favors handed out by government, and then used to bully them - as they're doing here.

But you seem to be interpreting the First to grant special privileges to religion, and that's what we're saying is the problem. The tax exempt status of religious institutions is a violation of the First Amendment, not a valid implementation of it. It's special favors handed out by government, and then used to bully them - as they're doing here.

For the 5th time, Churches have a tax exempt status because they are NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS...not due to being a Religious Organization.

Read it, learn it, understand it.

NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS ENJOY TAX EXEMPT STATUS.

Is it your contention that a non-profit organization should be EXCLUDED because it is a religious organization...because THAT would violate the first amendment.

Last edited:

For the 5th time, Churches have a tax exempt status because they are NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS...not due to being a Religious Organization.

ALL NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS ENJOY TAX EXEMPT STATUS.

Is it your contention that a non-profit organization should be EXCLUDED because it is a religious organization...because THAT would violate the first amendment.

Yeah, that's a good point - and I suppose you're addressing Grampa's claim that their tax exempt status should be revoked. Clearly he's wrong.

I'm actually raising a related, but different issue - whether it's good government to hand out these special exemptions in the first place, whatever the justification. I don't think it is, for the reasons I've stated.

ALL NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS ENJOY TAX EXEMPT STATUS.

Yeah, that's a good point - and I suppose you're addressing Grampa's claim that their tax exempt status should be revoked. Clearly he's wrong.

I'm actually raising a related, but different issue - whether it's good government to hand out these special exemptions in the first place, whatever the justification. I don't think it is, for the reasons I've stated.

I can respect that opinion...an across the board cessation of tax exempt status.

I'd have to seriously consider all the ramifications of such a position...but, at first blush, the glaring consequence would be, without tax exempt status, charitable gifts would not be tax deductible.

That would likely lead to a reduction of charitable giving...and that would lead to expansion of government programs to make up the shortfall...which would invariably lead to even high taxes.

Better IMO to deprive government, and leave the exemption in place.

Then the argument should not be for taking that "privilege," a term as misleading as "handout" in my opinion, away from the church, but to apply it to everyone else.

Whatever you call it, it's preferential treatment. I'm pointing out the way it is used to enhance government power. It's essentially the same as the way government uses tax incentives to manipulate us. People are so easily fooled into thinking it's okay because "hey, perks!", but there's nothing free about it. Everything comes with a price, and when we start letting government pick and choose who has to follow the rules and who gets special breaks then equal protection and the rule of law are sacrificed.

So like I said, apply it to everyone. Churches don't pay property tax? Good. Let's eliminate everybody else's property taxes as well. Then you have equal protection once again.

You also have equal protection is churches have to pay taxes on their property.

Forum List

Back