Pastor : I'll 'hold my nose,' vote for Mormon Romney

I'm actually raising a related, but different issue - whether it's good government to hand out these special exemptions in the first place, whatever the justification. I don't think it is, for the reasons I've stated.

I can respect that opinion...an across the board cessation of tax exempt status.

I'd have to seriously consider all the ramifications of such a position...but, at first blush, the glaring consequence would be, without tax exempt status, charitable gifts would not be tax deductible.

That would likely lead to a reduction of charitable giving...and that would lead to expansion of government programs to make up the shortfall...which would invariably lead to even high taxes.

Better IMO to deprive government, and leave the exemption in place.
Heh, special tax favors hardly deprive government. As I've been pointing out, they are actually powerful mechanisms of control, affording government the power to manipulate us in ways that would blatantly unconstitutional if attempted as straightforward legislation.

Your justifying the exemption with several questionable assumptions, each based on the premise of the welfare/warfare state - a premise which inevitably implies totalitarian government.

Both of you are right and wrong. A church is not compelled to file as a non-profit organization to be tax exempt. They do it so their donors will get a tax break....and their donors getting a tax break means more donors.

A church could operate tax fee without a non-profit status but they would lose donations.

When they agree to the terms of non-profit status they are agreeing to not use the pulpit for political reasons.

And when they agree to operate a business, they are agreeing to follow employment law....and one of those laws currently stipulates that preventative health care be COVERED if their employees attempt to get the care.

Forum List

Back