Past Present and Future Exist Now

Time is not what most people think it is.
At the particle level time can move forward or backward.
The Heisenberg uncertainty principle gives an uncertainty to the present.
Space and time do not exist at all for photons.
In relativity one event can happen before or after a second event depending on the speed of an observer.
Even our brain can confabulate an inversion of the temporal order of events.

Our existence is perhaps one of the most confusing things we observe. What we call past and future are inaccessible to us. What we call present cannot be quantified; it does not last for any quantifiable unit. So basically the concept of past, future and present is a product of our intuition which so often betrays us when attempting to understand the mystery of our universe. Time however is real and is not independent of matter. Just like our universe, time has a beginning and an ending.

Our existence is perhaps one of the most confusing things we observe. What we call past and future are inaccessible to us. What we call present cannot be quantified; it does not last for any quantifiable unit. So basically the concept of past, future and present is a product of our intuition which so often betrays us when attempting to understand the mystery of our universe. Time however is real and is not independent of matter. Just like our universe, time has a beginning and an ending.
I agree, the present it is moment that past so fast that " we could say that it don't really exist " the présent become the past automatically and end like our universe as ending as well

Time is something we humans made up.
Exactly. Humans created the concept of time to mark the succession of events.
While in theory, the concept of a single worldwide universal time-scale may have been conceived of many centuries ago, in practicality the technical ability to create and maintain such a time-scale did not become possible until the mid-19th century. The timescale adopted was Greenwich Mean Time, created in 1847. A few countries have replaced it with Coordinated Universal Time, UTC.
With the advent of the industrial revolution, a greater understanding and agreement on the nature of time itself became increasingly necessary and helpful. In 1847 in Britain, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) was first created for use by the British railways, the British navy, and the British shipping industry. Using telescopes, GMT was calibrated to the mean solar time at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich in the UK.

While in theory, the concept of a single worldwide universal time-scale may have been conceived of many centuries ago, in practicality the technical ability to create and maintain such a time-scale did not become possible until the mid-19th century. The timescale adopted was Greenwich Mean Time, created in 1847. A few countries have replaced it with Coordinated Universal Time, UTC.
With the advent of the industrial revolution, a greater understanding and agreement on the nature of time itself became increasingly necessary and helpful. In 1847 in Britain, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) was first created for use by the British railways, the British navy, and the British shipping industry. Using telescopes, GMT was calibrated to the mean solar time at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich in the UK.
My primitive understanding was/is that UTC is celestial whereas GMT is terrestrial.

I do get that if you know exactly what time it is in London (GMT) and you take an azimuth reading on the Sun at meridian height, you can figure out in degrees, minutes, and seconds of longitude where you are east or west of London. I have computed that myself. It is easier on land than at sea but both are possible.

As it is and can only be now, all use of the concept of time is relative.

Mencken said,
“We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine.”

Uh, no.
Nobody here agree [sic] with you, humans did invented [sic] time

Wrong. We did, however, invent grammar. Look into it.
Grammar is a word that all.[sic]

Irony is also a word.

I agree, the present it is moment that past so fast that " we could say that it don't really exist " the présent become the past automatically and end like our universe as ending as well

From the perspective of universe, it does not really matter in what direction the time is flowing (past or future). But we do experience time in a very peculiar manner where we remember past but we do not know anything about future. We can call it arrow of time and it points in one and only one direction; we call it future. This perception is called psychological arrow of time. This is based on 2nd law of thermodynamics which states that over a period of time entropy of a closed system increases. So in a layman's term, a beautiful (ordered state) woman over a period of time becomes less beautiful (disordered state, i.e., high entropy).

From the perspective of universe, it does not really matter in what direction the time is flowing (past or future). But we do experience time in a very peculiar manner where we remember past but we do not know anything about future. We can call it arrow of time and it points in one and only one direction; we call it future. This perception is called psychological arrow of time. This is based on 2nd law of thermodynamics which states that over a period of time entropy of a closed system increases. So in a layman's term, a beautiful (ordered state) woman over a period of time becomes less beautiful (disordered state, i.e., high entropy).
Your example of the beautiful woman who becomes less beautiful with the passing time.
Like we do remember the past but our memory does not remember more distant memories they do erase with time. Memory erases old memories

Let us dive a bit deeper into the mystery of past, present and future. What is actually happening with this idea of time flow which we call past, present and future? Not much actually. We simply observe different states of an object in a chain of events and call it passage of time. There is a pattern in which objects change their sates; that is they tend to be in a state of lower entropy and move towards a state of higher entropy. This happens because there are more instances of higher entropy than lower entropy in our universe. May be this characteristic is unique to our universe. My be there is another universe where objects move from higher entropy to lower entropy.

Let us dive a bit deeper into the mystery of past, present and future. What is actually happening with this idea of time flow which we call past, present and future? Not much actually. We simply observe different states of an object in a chain of events and call it passage of time. There is a pattern in which objects change their sates; that is they tend to be in a state of lower entropy and move towards a state of higher entropy. This happens because there are more instances of higher entropy than lower entropy in our universe. May be this characteristic is unique to our universe. My be there is another universe where objects move from higher entropy to lower entropy.
Thank you, i always ask myself this question why i remember some moment of my life and not others ? and some moment are very simple !
We are in the universe for a brief moment and we don't really sense the meaning of what surrender us, Time is a invention like the rest.
I think that life is like a mirror of memories.

Thank you, i always ask myself this question why i remember some moment of my life and not others ? and some moment are very simple !
We are in the universe for a brief moment and we don't really sense the meaning of what surrender us, Time is a invention like the rest.
I think that life is like a mirror of memories.

Why do you remember some moments of your life and others not?

- This probably is a question for your doctor :)

Is time an invention like the rest?

- I do not think so. You exist in four dimensions: 3D space and 1D time. Well, there are more dimensions if you care to humor string theory but we will leave that alone for now. So basically your existence is impossible without time. Your perception of time however may not be real -- especially, what is called Arrow of Time.

Is life like a mirror or memories?

- Life is simply a transition from one state to another. There are some moments in the transition that make this otherwise ordinary life special. Birth/death is our fate that we could/can not escape.

Forum List

Back