Pass this Bill!!

The approach that we should be taking is getting government out of the way of the Private Sector and let them do what they do best...invest, hire and grow the economy.

For investment, things have been great for the investor, yet corporations are sitting on trillions of dollars, investing and hiring overseas. Recently, the US dropped to 5th as far as being competitive. The reasons were such as rising government debt and declining public faith in political leaders and corporate ethics. Considering corporate ethics was one of the three reasons for the US dropping down to 5th, is it really a good idea to give them even more rope?
US drops in ranking of most competitive of world economies - Boston.com

Allow the untaxed repatriation of overseas funds in return for that capital being invested either in hiring new employees or buying new equipment.

As noted in my previous statement, Corporate America is already sitting on trillions in capital and have no interest in investing in America. I guess until the US worker accepts Third World Wages, this will be the trend.

Allow the oil industry to drill again.

And they should go back to capped wells that already have rich oil just sitting there.

A moratorium on new regulations for the next two years.

Tort reform to lower the cost of health care.

Tort reform would lower the cost of health care by less than 2%

Take away the ability of the EPA to enforce new standards without getting Congressional approval.

And the best thing about all those ideas? They won't cost a single thin dime, let alone a half a trillion dollars but will create REAL long term employment.

Our infrastructure needs trillions of dollars in repairs, it has been underfunded for decades. With all the needed repairs, it will take decades to catch up, nothing short-term there. A growing trend worldwide is private investment in infrastructure, in other words the privatization of this country's infrastructure. It's a win-win. Less tax dollars and long-term employment.

First of all, corporations are not sitting on capital because they have no interest in investing in America. They are sitting on it because they are "leery" of investing in America under the present circumstances. You have to keep in mind that businesses invest because they think potential profit to be realized is worth the risk in capital. What the Obama Administration has never seemed to grasp is that each time they proposed Cap & Trade legislation there was a room full of business people somewhere who pushed their chairs back from the table and said "Whoa...what's THAT going to do to the bottom line?" Every time the EPA announced stricter regulations on emissions another room full of business people somewhere winced and said "Wow...do we really want to build our new factory in the United States when our energy costs would be so much lower somewhere else?" Every time they pushed Card Check business leaders someplace asked each other "Is this going to mean we get hit with high priced union wages in six months?" Every time the Justice Department sues a company for building a factory in a right to work State instead of a union friendly State businesses ask themselves "Is this Administration so pro-union that we can't get a fair shake?" And when companies and investors see this Administration reorder how creditors in a bankruptcy are in line to get paid in order to benefit big unions they ask themselves "Can we really trust that this Administration is going to follow the rule of law?"

It's uncertainty over things like this that have kept Private Sector money from being invested. I shake my head over the disconnect that the Obama White House has between their actions and the reactions of the business community. There doesn't seem to be anyone within the President's inner circle that understands how businesses function.

NOW all of a sudden businesses are holding on to capital because of the Obama Administration????

Let's go back into history, what has changed so dramatically? First of all, Cap & Trade was not an Obama concept, it was a GOP concept long before Obama became president. It actually goes back to President Reagan when he signed the Montreal Protocol. George HW proposed cap & trade with the 1990 Clean Air Act. GWB included it in his Clear Skies bill.
Did businesses sit on trillions of capital then? No.

Then there's the dreaded unions excuse. In 1983, 20 percent of the workforce was union, now unions only make up 11.9 percent of the workforce. Did American companies sit on trillions of dollars of capital then? No! But now, despite a record low number of union workers, American companies are sitting on their capital? Yeah, that makes sense.

Finally, there's the Corporate Tax Rate, since WWII the rate bounced around but was mostly in the 45-50%, in the late 80-s-early 90% it dipped to 34% and then settled at 35% in 1993. But the loopholes exploded! According to a GOA report, most corporations don't pay taxes, thanks to all the loopholes. And as far as investors go, they have the lowest Capital Gains rate they have enjoyed when the rate dropped from 20% to 15%.

Finally, let's look at wages in Real Dollars versus Nominal Dollars. Since the 1980's, wage earners have seen very little growth in constant 1982 Real Dollars and in fact in most cases their wages have dropped.

In other words, corporations have never had it so good! Yet, they are sitting on trillions of dollars and are sitting in the corner screaming "we want more", while sapping the American economy. They are in a sense, holding the American economy hostage! That's probably why in the World Economic Forum survey of 15,000 business executives stated as one of the reasons the US has dropped to 5th as far as being competitive on the world stage was,,, corporate ethics.

Last edited:
It's funny when leftists insist conservatives must want what leftists want now because the GOP supported some version of it in the past.

First of all, I'm not a "leftist", try I'm Main Street America! Also something I have stated repeatedly,, I'm not defending Obama, I have absolutely no intention of voting for the man.
I do admit voting for the man,,,,after voting for Reagan twice, George HW twice, Bob Dole, GWB once and Michael Peroutka (Constitution Party) an anti-Bush/Kerry vote.
Now, how about discussing the post? I stated facts and what exactly would be the reason why 15,000 business executives would site "corporate ethics" as a reason for America's decline in competitiveness?
Look what their refusal to invest in America has done to the American economy, as an analogy, that's like having a star player slacking off in a team's biggest game ever!

Last edited:
It's funny when leftists insist conservatives must want what leftists want now because the GOP supported some version of it in the past.

First of all, I'm not a "leftist", try I'm Main Street America! Also something I have stated repeatedly,, I'm not defending Obama, I have absolutely no intention of voting for the man.
I do admit voting for the man,,,,after voting for Reagan twice, George HW twice, Bob Dole, GWB once and Michael Peroutka (Constitution Party) an anti-Bush/Kerry vote.
Now, how about discussing the post?
What's to discuss? I didn't like the proposals then, and I don't like them now. And this Administration has repeated proven its hostility towards business.

It's been 4 days since Obama made his campaign speech "Jobs Plan Address" to the joint session of congress. He still does not have a plan & has yet to submit it to congress.

Obama said pass this jobs bill over 13 times during his speech, yet there was & is no bill to pass. Does he want Congress to pass a bill before he will tell them what's in it? This kind of sounds like his healthcare plan.

Where's the bill? Really democrats, WHERE'S THE BILL? I'd like to read this wondrous, marvelous, miraculous piece of legislation, but it seems to be made of that same new lightweight fabric as the Emperor's New Clothes; a synthetic composed of 1 part duplicity, 5 parts empty rhetoric, 5 parts political desperation, 1 part corruption, and 9 parts intellectual flatus sprinkled with stray bits of fecal matter, the last courtesy of liberals who are confused as to which bodily orifice is for speaking, and which is for defecating. The resulting lighter-than-air product is, naturally, almost entirely colorless, and transparent; inert, but certainly not odorless. While it cannot be touched, read or even seen, its presence is readily detectable by its rather strong, noxious smell, which is highly suggestive of that of male bovine excrement mixed with a touch of rotting corpse. Unfortunately it appears to be highly toxic, and requires appropriate protective equipment for handling and disposal.

Did I miss it or he didn't say, how many jobs will be saved or created with this bill?

Is there a promise that unemployment won't go up if is passed?

Obama on jobs bill: No games, politics, delays

President Obama held up a newly printed copy of his $447 billion American Jobs Bill today at the White House and demanded that Congress "immediately" pass it "to put people back to work."

"No games, no politics, no delays," Obama said during a Rose Garden ceremony featuring a variety of workers he said would benefit from the legislation. "I'm sending this bill to Congress today, and they ought to pass it immediately."

So he can sign it into law before anyone in congress or the voting public has a chance to actually READ it.

Putz.

Once the CBO scores it, let's see if this part is still true...

In his White House remarks, Obama said his plan is "not going to add a dime to the deficit. Next week, I'm laying out my plan not only to pay for this jobs bill but also to bring down the deficit further."

Last edited:
Ame®icano;4128920 said:
Did I miss it or he didn't say, how many jobs will be saved or created with this bill?

Wait til he finds out jobs are evolutionary.

Asphalt plants in the Northern States will shut in November...delay.

Projects must be surveyed and demolition has to take place...dely.

Most schools have made hiring/firing decisions already...delay.

ANY government body should think twice about adding employees in the present economy...delay.

America can't afford how expensive these created jobs are...delay and hopefully the end of $477 billion in a bad idea.

Our infrastructure needs trillions of dollars in repairs, it has been underfunded for decades. With all the needed repairs, it will take decades to catch up, nothing short-term there. A growing trend worldwide is private investment in infrastructure, in other words the privatization of this country's infrastructure. It's a win-win. Less tax dollars and long-term employment.

First of all, corporations are not sitting on capital because they have no interest in investing in America. They are sitting on it because they are "leery" of investing in America under the present circumstances. You have to keep in mind that businesses invest because they think potential profit to be realized is worth the risk in capital. What the Obama Administration has never seemed to grasp is that each time they proposed Cap & Trade legislation there was a room full of business people somewhere who pushed their chairs back from the table and said "Whoa...what's THAT going to do to the bottom line?" Every time the EPA announced stricter regulations on emissions another room full of business people somewhere winced and said "Wow...do we really want to build our new factory in the United States when our energy costs would be so much lower somewhere else?" Every time they pushed Card Check business leaders someplace asked each other "Is this going to mean we get hit with high priced union wages in six months?" Every time the Justice Department sues a company for building a factory in a right to work State instead of a union friendly State businesses ask themselves "Is this Administration so pro-union that we can't get a fair shake?" And when companies and investors see this Administration reorder how creditors in a bankruptcy are in line to get paid in order to benefit big unions they ask themselves "Can we really trust that this Administration is going to follow the rule of law?"

It's uncertainty over things like this that have kept Private Sector money from being invested. I shake my head over the disconnect that the Obama White House has between their actions and the reactions of the business community. There doesn't seem to be anyone within the President's inner circle that understands how businesses function.

NOW all of a sudden businesses are holding on to capital because of the Obama Administration????

Let's go back into history, what has changed so dramatically? First of all, Cap & Trade was not an Obama concept, it was a GOP concept long before Obama became president. It actually goes back to President Reagan when he signed the Montreal Protocol. George HW proposed cap & trade with the 1990 Clean Air Act. GWB included it in his Clear Skies bill.
Did businesses sit on trillions of capital then? No.

Then there's the dreaded unions excuse. In 1983, 20 percent of the workforce was union, now unions only make up 11.9 percent of the workforce. Did American companies sit on trillions of dollars of capital then? No! But now, despite a record low number of union workers, American companies are sitting on their capital? Yeah, that makes sense.

Finally, there's the Corporate Tax Rate, since WWII the rate bounced around but was mostly in the 45-50%, in the late 80-s-early 90% it dipped to 34% and then settled at 35% in 1993. But the loopholes exploded! According to a GOA report, most corporations don't pay taxes, thanks to all the loopholes. And as far as investors go, they have the lowest Capital Gains rate they have enjoyed when the rate dropped from 20% to 15%.

Finally, let's look at wages in Real Dollars versus Nominal Dollars. Since the 1980's, wage earners have seen very little growth in constant 1982 Real Dollars and in fact in most cases their wages have dropped.

In other words, corporations have never had it so good! Yet, they are sitting on trillions of dollars and are sitting in the corner screaming "we want more", while sapping the American economy. They are in a sense, holding the American economy hostage! That's probably why in the World Economic Forum survey of 15,000 business executives stated as one of the reasons the US has dropped to 5th as far as being competitive on the world stage was,,, corporate ethics.
You failed to attach a major recession with any of the above stated events. They are sitting on cash for a twofold reason: the recession has not lifted and the continued bullshit from government is making it look even bleaker. What you seem to be insinuating is that corporations are using this to get more from the federal government and that is rather asinine. That would require a massive conspiracy for all the businesses to hold out together. That is not occurring. What is happening is that there is no reason for them to expand or hire. No incentive. Much of that is due to the new regulation that is being put in place. If you have another theory as to why businesses are not investing, I would love to hear it but the trillion dollar stimulus as a failed product is proof that simple demand is not the problem. There is more to it than that.

Ame®icano;4128920 said:

0, but that won't stop him from claiming that is saves 3 million when the unemployment does not change. Remember, this bill is going to save us from going into a depression...

Oh wait, were not supposed to say that until later, after it fails miserably. Gota have someplace to change the goalposts too so we can claim victory...

Naw.

Either you are a shill..or you don't see the big picture. The "Obamacare" health care package and "Cap and Trade" were both conservative initiatives. They were "doing something". Which is the conservative way of offering up "something" without actually doing it. Well President Obama fell for it and actually passed one of their lunatic ideas. And maybe it wasn't as naive as that..because the conservatives went batshit crazy about getting rid of it. Maybe by passing it, this was a means to show just how evil the conservative movement has become.

In any case...the private sector isn't sitting on trillions because they "no longer believe in America" or because "the President doesn't understand how businesses function", they are sitting on it because they can. They are sitting on it because it is profitable to do so. These are short minded people with minds that are set on making money. That's it. That's the bottom line. That's why it's a bad idea to let them lead.

What is profitable about sitting on capital? Businesses are not investing because they don't want to put themselves in a position where they take major losses not because they are making tons of money by not investing. And yes, Sallow these people's minds ARE set on making money! That's what you do when you run a business. Your finding that to be a bad thing shows how out of touch with reality you are.

Ame®icano;4128920 said:

0, but that won't stop him from claiming that is saves 3 million when the unemployment does not change. Remember, this bill is going to save us from going into a depression...

Oh wait, were not supposed to say that until later, after it fails miserably. Gota have someplace to change the goalposts too so we can claim victory...

You hush. The One stopped the oceans from rising.

But... but... people NEED the government to take care of them! Really...they do!

But... but... people NEED the government to take care of them! Really...they do!

So, I take it you don't understand the privatization of our infrastructure? (Or your remark was a classic tongue-in-cheek comment)
Well here to you go!
http://www.irei.com/uploads/marketresearch/67/marketResearchFile/Opp_Priv_Infr_Inv.pdf

We're talking capitalism!!!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back