Party Leaders Censure Senator(Lieberman)

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
What a bunch of fruit cakes. :duh3:

WINDSOR -- Windsor Democrats on Thursday followed their colleagues in Manchester by publicly chastising U.S. Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman for his support of President Bush and the Iraq war.

The Windsor Democratic Town Committee, in a 34-2 decision, approved a resolution calling for a vote of no confidence in Lieberman, D-Conn., for embracing Bush's position on the war, including denying that the United States wrongly entered the war and that it was not accomplishing the objectives set out by the president.

Last month, Democrats in Manchester passed a resolution calling for Lieberman to reconsider his war support. A Lieberman spokesman declined to comment Thursday on the resolution.

Windsor town committee member Len Swade referred to Lieberman as Bush's "kissing cousin" as he outlined his reasons for introducing the resolution.

"My goal is to seek a pattern - a groundswell - of Democratic town committee motions in Connecticut that will really get the senator's attention," Swade said Thursday.

Town committee member Leo Canty spoke in favor of the resolution and added that it was not meant to be a swipe at the military in Iraq.

"I'm proud of what the soldiers have done, but I'm not proud of what we have done," he said.

Before the meeting, Windsor Democratic town Chairman Tim Fitzgerald called the proposed resolution a "practical way to get [Lieberman's] attention."

"But I'm not delusional that this is going to change his fundamental way of thinking," Fitzgerald said.

Fitzgerald also spoke to the group before it voted about whether to table the resolution and give Lieberman a chance to defend his position. Lieberman's staff also sent the committee information about his accomplishments, from his support for women's rights to fighting to save the Arctic preserve.

Fitzgerald said Lieberman's staff told him the senator would be happy to discuss the issue with the committee, as he offered to do with the Manchester Democratic Town Committee.

Ultimately, the group decided to move forward with its vote of no confidence.

Vincent Oswecki Jr. said he supported the resolution, even though he admired many of Lieberman's stances.

"But I was appalled by his stance on the war," Oswecki said. "I really believe he is wrong on this issue, and it would be wrong for us to ignore it."
http://www.courant.com/news/politic...782932.story?coll=hc-headlines-politics-state

Forum List

Back