Particularly Inspiring...

Mr. H.

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2009
A warm place with no memory.
Ivy League school janitor graduates with honors

Highlights:

"I love Seneca's letters because they're written in the spirit in which I was educated in my family — not to look for fame and fortune, but to have a simple, honest, honorable life," he said.

"This is a man with great pride, whether he's doing custodial work or academics," said Peter Awn, dean of Columbia's School of General Studies and professor of Islamic studies. "He is immensely humble and grateful, but he's one individual who makes his own future."

During an interview with The Associated Press in a Lerner Hall conference room, Filipaj didn't show the slightest regret or bitterness about his tough life. Instead, he cheerfully described encounters with surprised younger students who wonder why their classmate is cleaning up after them.

He's not interested in furthering his studies to make more money.

"The richness is in me, in my heart and in my head, not in my pockets," said Filipaj, who is now an American citizen.

It's extremely difficult to remain positive and optimistic in the face of struggle and adversity.
Persistence pays off. Impatience leads to nowhere.

Yes, indeed.

I often quote Coolidge to my children:

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Proud...he graduated from my alma mater.

Last edited:

Highlights:

"I love Seneca's letters because they're written in the spirit in which I was educated in my family — not to look for fame and fortune, but to have a simple, honest, honorable life," he said.

"This is a man with great pride, whether he's doing custodial work or academics," said Peter Awn, dean of Columbia's School of General Studies and professor of Islamic studies. "He is immensely humble and grateful, but he's one individual who makes his own future."

During an interview with The Associated Press in a Lerner Hall conference room, Filipaj didn't show the slightest regret or bitterness about his tough life. Instead, he cheerfully described encounters with surprised younger students who wonder why their classmate is cleaning up after them.

"The richness is in me, in my heart and in my head, not in my pockets," said Filipaj, who is now an American citizen.

Thanks for posting that link! I saw it over the weekend and didn't get time to read it. Wonderful!

12 years of free classes. Why aren't American kids standing in line for the job of mopping floors for a college degree.

Highlights:

These particularly inspiring stories happen more in Europe because they offer more social/welfare benefits

Highlights:

These particularly inspiring stories happen more in Europe because they offer more social/welfare benefits

That is an especially syphilitically whoreish statement styled in the grandeur of Fuck Bob Square Pants. And I commend you, as I expeceted nothing less.

Forum List

Back