Partial birth abortions banned

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Tuesday voted to ban the practice that critics call partial birth abortion, sending President Bush (news - web sites) a measure that supporters and foes alike said could alter the future of U.S. abortion rights. A court challenge is certain.

Years in the making, the bill imposes the most far-reaching limits on abortion since the Supreme Court in 1973 confirmed a woman's right to end a pregnancy.

"This is an enormous day. It's been a long seven-year fight about the issue of partial birth abortion," said Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan. He was a leader of the drive to end abortions, generally carried out in the second or third trimester, in which a fetus is partially delivered before being killed.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../ap/20031021/ap_on_go_co/congress_abortion_14

Although I am pro-choice, I am all for this ban.

Thoughts?

I know this is a touchy subject, so lets keep this one civil please!

It's good that this version has allowances if the mother's life is deemed to be in danger, not so good that there are no provisions for cases where the mother's health may be endangered. And yes there is debate on whether either of those two situations exist, or at least the latter, hard to follow sometimes.

Actually looks like just 'life' is protected:

`(a) Any physician who, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, knowingly performs a partial-birth abortion and thereby kills a human fetus shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both. This subsection does not apply to a partial-birth abortion that is necessary to save the life of a mother whose life is endangered by a physical disorder, physical illness, or physical injury, including a life-endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself. This subsection takes effect 1 day after the enactment.

the whole bill can be read at:

http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/g_three_sections_with_teasers/legislative_home.htm

put birth in the search and follow the link for

"5 . Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 (Enrolled as Agreed to or Passed by Both House and Senate)[S.3.ENR]"

I'd link directly but they expire.

I am SOOO NOT pro-choice!! Too many women use abortion as a means of birth control. Too many people out there trying to save baby seals..and F* the human babies!! It was a sad sad day in America when that law was passed. :(

P.S.

That is murder!!

Explain to me how we CANT have abortion illegal!! If I go kill an expecting mother...I get charged with 2 murder charges. Isnt that giving the baby a legal status??? If so..how can abortion NOT be illegal?

Originally posted by Jackass
P.S.

That is murder!!

Explain to me how we CANT have abortion illegal!! If I go kill an expecting mother...I get charged with 2 murder charges. Isnt that giving the baby a legal status??? If so..how can abortion NOT be illegal?

Ya know, that makes a lot of sense, and I'm pro-choice!

I think they should investigate each and every case. There are a few cases where I don't have a huge problem with it:
1- Mothers life in danger
2- Rape
3- Baby won't survive, or major defect

But to use it as a means of birth control is disgusting.

I think a babies life is worth the extra time and cost incurred to evaluate each case independently.

I too agree than in very specialized circumstances it should be allowable.

Pro-choice or not every women has a choice:

If you don't want to be pregnant, take precautions or keep your legs closed.

Originally posted by eric
I too agree than in very specialized circumstances it should be allowable.

Pro-choice or not every women has a choice:

If you don't want to be pregnant, take precautions or keep your legs closed.

That cannot happen without the higher awareness in each and every individual of the society. The media, the culture and the popular opinion make it very hard for an individual of both sexes to control his/her sexual urges.

The whole society should be brought to a higher level of awarness that we are human beings and it is time to stop acting like animals before it is too late.

Spirit, I hate to inform you but what you are proposing I just do not see in our future. We as a society are moving in the wrong direction. When I was in school you had to date someone for quite a while just to get a kiss. Today my nephews laugh at me, and cannot believe that you did not have sex on the first or second date. These are not inner city kids we are talking about here, this is a very upscale neighborhood with our own school district, so it does not seem to be an economic issue. I can not imagine how long it will take, if ever, to get to the point that you are proposing.

In the meantime birth control and education are available at almost all schools, and kids are well aware of this. Let us not underestimate the sophistication of kids this day and age.

Finally while humanity goes through this learning curve you propose, should infants in the womb bear the brunt of our animalistic desires? Should we feel for the poor mother yet not feel for the child? Sometimes shock value is a greater educator than gentle guidance, rest assured if abortion were illegal and self-abortion punished equal to first degree murder, all these misguided people would give protection & abstinence a real hard thought.

Remember the child in the womb!

The sofistication of high school kids today is just full of hot air. Most of them have no values and repeat whatever the majority says is true as if they are the law.

I remember how I was when I was 16, although that was not so long ago...the teens today are innocent, full of ego and lack sophistication in their lives, also they are overall very naive and gullable... So, saying "abstinence is good, but if you are going to do it, use a condom" is not a very good scenario for them, because they almost always pick up the condom.

but I agree with you, it is both the ban of abortion and education that are needed. Also, abortion is not exactly healthy either, there are many people who claim that women who have abortion have post abortion syndrome. Post abortion syndrome is a type of depression, some sort of guilt takes over them (which is ofcourse due to chemical imbalance).

Also, there is also another thoery, that it is not possible for us to ban abortion... the change in the society has to be gradual , so that the abortion itself will be almost useless, except in very serious cases, like danger to the mother's life and rape etc.

Originally posted by Spirit_Soul
although that was not so long ago...the teens today are innocent, full of ego and lack sophistication in their lives, also they are overall very naive and gullable... .

What world do you live in??? I am not sure if I know ANY 16 yr olds that are innocent!! Most of todays 10 yr olds know more about sex than I did when I was 14!! Get out of your bubble and join the real world.

isn't this the truth Jackass! try 8 and 9, it's pretty sickening too! My Daughter will be locked up! hehehehehe! no makeup till she's 30, no dating, no going out, hahahaha! She will be like the angel I was! :D

Originally posted by janeeng
She will be like the angel I was! :D
So I am to assume she will also be WOWing people?!?! Let me know when she is 18!!! LOL

Janeen, didn't I read a post about you and your co-worker flashing a cop? LOL:thup:

OK janeen, now this is getting freaky. Why does YOUR post say edited by Jackass?

:huh:

Forum List

Back